Minor/Repaint: RM G1 Prime wip

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Greyryder, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm working on improving RM Prime. First up is a trailer, and scale size wheels. I'm using parts from a Nascar 1/64 scale Trailer Rig from wal-mart. I won't be changing the style of the trailer, to look more like the G1 Prime toy's. That would require me to build a whole new trailer, and I'm lazy. ;)  With luck, the trailer will open up like the original's.

Most of my attention will be focused on Prime himself, especially his alt mode. Plans so far are to paint the clear pieces at the base of the neck. My biggest problem with the toy (and with 20th anny Prime) is the way the windshield overhangs the headlight areas. No real truck looks like that. My current plan is to make new headlight sections, that will fold behind the grill, or bumper. The bumper is getting remounted to pivot and extend, to move out of the way in bot mode. If that doesn't work, I'll hack up the cab front to sit farther back. (which causes a whole host of other problems.) I also want to cut off the grill, and let pivot back from the top, to give ol' Op a slimer gut. If there's room, I'd like to make it to slide back a bit, too.

I also want to try to reduce the gap between the cab and the frame, or hide it with panels that will hinge off the bottom of the arms.

Anyway. Here's what I've got, so far.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll be able to use the original wheels, to make to a Roller. :) 

2. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

sounds like a plan batman good luck

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Roller? If you do a Roller post some pics.

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    looks good greyrider. and thanks for the idea im about to do something similar to an oversized rm 01 ko. and what you said about the head lights im thinking a small hinge. thats why i love these boards. keep us updated looks great.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Thanks everyone. Hinges shouldn't be a problem. I know a craft store that sells doll house hinges. Easy enough to stop in there, next time I'm in Columbus.

I really want a little Roller for this guy, so if I make one I'll deffinitely post pictures.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I can't wait to see this when it's complete. Looks neat, Greyryder...

7. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    hey greyrider they have a gesalt ko at biglots cant remember which one. but they have a lot of hinges that could be trimmed off and glued on. yes we definately want to see more of this project.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Cool, I'll check that out. Those will probably work well, on the arms. If, they're small enough.

I'm going to need the grill a lot thinner, and there's no way I can shave that much material off the back of it, without destroying it. I'll probably end up making a new one from some sheet copper I've got, and details built up from thin sheet styrene. Doll house hinges will work better there, since I'll be able to solder them to the copper.

9. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    dude ive been trying to figure out how to detail my ko,s and you are throwing me all the right ideas thanks. ill have to check out those hinges. my wife wanted to go to the arts and crafts store anyway. ill have someyhing to do thanks again.i was just thinking of adding styrene to his fold up side peices after making his new grill so his midsection will support the new thinner grill and detail those small exsposed areas gunmetal. just for detail.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm going to try making doing this without replacing the grill. The detail work on it is just beyond my abilities. I'm going to keep those KOs you mentioned in mind, but I'll probably stick with doll house hinges, for now. They're pretty cheap, and I've seen two or three styles of them.

Good luck with your KOs, Doomtron.

Primary updates on this project will be in this thread, at TFmaster. I'll try to post the occasional update here, too.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Wheels are on. Mostly.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It'll be a couple of days before I can do more work on it. First thing I'll do, is get the other two wheels on.

12. GALVATOM

wow its coming along great

13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Is juts me or your RM Prime is looking better than the original?

14. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    looking good greyrider inspiring as usual. ive got my rm oversized ko in hand ready to be torn up.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's hot. Do the wheels get in the way of RID Prime's transformation to robot mode?

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Don't know. I don't have an RID Prime. :p  In some poses, the front wheels push against the sides of his torso, and I doubt that they'd clear the bumper, in its original position. I'm planning to put the bumper lower, and little bit farther forward. I don't think there will be a problem with transformation with it there, but I'm certain it'll get in the way of posing, just like the priginal design.

I'm planning to make the bumper mount so that it can extend. Hopefully that will be enough to stay clear of the wheels. If not, I've got a couple of ideas to keep it out of the way.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I can't wait to get back to work on it. I should be able to start again, tomorrow.

17. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

lookin really good so far keep us uptodate with its develpoment :) 

18. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

All wheels are on, and the grill is in place. Also pretty much have the trailer ready to go, just needs painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. GALVATOM

mighty fine good job

20. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    terrific job greyrider! love it.