Customs: Rit Dye. saving dye to reuse. any problems

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by manyoufactsure, Mar 16, 2007.

1. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Any of you that have used RIT dye, Have you saved any for reuse at a later time and have you encountered any problems with it.
    I have dyed two toys and two other parts so far. I used navy blue, in the liquid form, for dying C Scrapmetal (and this same color for my E Bruticus part) and I used Pearl Grey, powder form, for E Stormcloud.

They both came out very dark. The navy blue is almost black. I had to re-dye some of Scrapmetals parts because some of the yellow could be seen and when I was pouring the previously used dye into the pan, I noticed it had a purple-ish look to it. It did make a light tan part come out dark purple so I added some fresh Navy blue. After reheating it, I had some quagulation (thickening) in the bottom of the pan that I didn't have the first time.

I used glass jars for the storage and wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
    Do you throw out your dye once you have used it once or can it be saved in containers, that block the light, in order to keep the same tint. (blue to purple?)

I am very happy with my dye results. I didn't think the grey would work but mainly wanted to cover up the ballsocket joints so the orange didn't show through and the ball sockets can be turned with out the color showing through. (unlike paint).
    Now I can paint the exterior of E Stormcloud, Grey, for my E Vortex kitbash and then all I have to do is finish Onslaught (about 80% done)and E Bruticus will be done. I have to get pics of E Strongarm/Swindle and then I'll post them.

2. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't see why you can't save it; it's just a matter of re-heating it to dye again. A sealed glass jar in a dark place as you sugget should work fine. I used one batch of dye over a couple day period, without even sealing it, and it worked ok.

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't see why you can't save it; it's just a matter of re-heating it to dye again. A sealed glass jar in a dark place as you sugget should work fine. I used one batch of dye over a couple day period, without even sealing it, and it worked ok.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If you're sealing it with rubber or plasticized rubber, the rubber will melt away from the inside part of the jar. At least, that's what I found with my attempts at storing dye in a stainless steel container with a big rubber gasket on the lid.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If you're sealing it with rubber or plasticized rubber, the rubber will melt away from the inside part of the jar. At least, that's what I found with my attempts at storing dye in a stainless steel container with a big rubber gasket on the lid.

6. manyoufactsure

I have them in washed out jars of spagetti sauce/pickels. So there is a small amount of rubber on the inside of the metal lids, for sealing. I'll take a look and see.

I'm wondering if I heated the dye up too much and it caused some of it to thicken. I only heated until it started to boil and then lowered the heat. Who knows?

As far as the color change, It did cause a part to come out purple, instead of dark blue, but the part was a light tan instead of yellow. I don't think it should matter but again, who knows.

Thanks for the comments.

7. manyoufactsure

I have them in washed out jars of spagetti sauce/pickels. So there is a small amount of rubber on the inside of the metal lids, for sealing. I'll take a look and see.

I'm wondering if I heated the dye up too much and it caused some of it to thicken. I only heated until it started to boil and then lowered the heat. Who knows?

As far as the color change, It did cause a part to come out purple, instead of dark blue, but the part was a light tan instead of yellow. I don't think it should matter but again, who knows.

Thanks for the comments.

8. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    why is everything double posted?

9. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

To mess with your head. Or maybe it's a glitch in the matrix. :thumb 

Randy!