Rising Storm #1 cover, character cameos, Foundation#1 and plot inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by blue death, Feb 23, 2011.

1. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I just got my copies of Rising Storm #1 and Foundation #1. First off badass covers for both, especially the final art for Shockwave on Rising Storm:

[​IMG]

I'm sure I'm leaving out some details but this is a quick rundown of both books.

Rising Storm opens with Longarm and Salvage in China saving humans. Only to be utterly destroyed by Shockwave, and yes .....Astrotrain!! Prime is seen at NEST headquarters talking to Auotbot "refugees" AKA Armorhide and his team. Armorhide mistakenly calls him Sentienel. Meanwhile, Galloway helps NEST in a sting operation agaisnt Fearswoop, Skystalker, and Divebomb (there attempting to sell cybertronian tech and weapons to humans under Starscreams orders). Astrotrain is busy working on a project for Shockwave with a little bot called the "Brain Unit". Its a tiny robot that Astrotrain says it not supposed to have sentience and I believe it is the character who will grow into the Einstein-bot in DOTM. It begins to develop a sort of New York Bronx accent as well as fear for its life and runs away to a Philidelphia where it happens to run into Bumblebee and Sam.

The following plot is represented mainly through flashback for Foundation #1:

Now heres the sadness that is Foundation #1. It is impossible to reconcile this book with any of the other prequel books set in the movie verse. As first off it presents Optimus in his Protoform body in G1 colors with a G1 Stiled rifle. Second it show Optimus and Megatrons' conflict begining in an entirely different fashion than the ROTF Defiance series portrayed. No artifact with the Fallen. No Megatron being corrupted for evil or anything. Just Sentinel Prime being master and teacher to Prime Megatron and a number of other major characters including Wheeljack, Shockwave, and Elita-1. Under Sentinels' leadership Optimus and the others wage a war against a race known as Thetacons. Ironhide happens to be one of these creatures. Sentinel has discovered the allspark and determines that it is powered by star energy so they must go find a star. But without the ability for space travel (lost to the Primes they say) they instead 'warp' reality so that they may bring a star to Cybertron and there planet can orbit around it. With the new star in place the allsparks power grows due to its proximity to the star. Peace is made with the Thetacons and Megatron puts his hostility towards them aside as well. Optimus talks with Elita about going to see her 2 sisters (Arcee, Chromia). Instead Sentinel recruits him for a trip to Trypticon the city to help form the new Cybertronian governemnt. Optimus assumes Sentinel will lead only to be informed by Sentinel that he will be the next Prime. Sentinel says that the only word to describe their new way of life is "freedom" a word of the Primes that was once lost.

Also in this issue we are told that Sentinel is a direct descendant of Primus, the first Cybertronian.

The main story after these flashbacks of whats going on is a battle that Optimus and his team are waging against Megatron and his army an undetermined amount of time after peace is made with the Thetacons. After Sentinels' 'dissapearance' Prime has made it his sworn duty to kill Megatron.

Unfortunately the inconsistencies between Foundation and the previous prequel books irks me to no end. I know Transformers as a franchise isn't particularly well known for rigidness to continuity, but this book essentially throws out EVERYTHING that came before it and in doing so throws ROTF's plot even more out of wack than it already was :) 

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well then.

They just took Mowry's stuff and dumped it out?

I'm wondering how much of this is IDW and how much is Hasbro, given how Barber went out of his way to reconcile all the other prequel books involving humans in the Sector Seven mini.

The real question I have though... which Megatron design did they use in Foundation? ROTF or TF1?

3. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    OMG, OMG, OMG!

So Sentinel was like a mentor to Optimus? Looks like that poll thing was right.

4. rich_prime

rich_prime Banned

News Credits:
    Shockwave looks weird, but he looks AWESOME I want a toy of that

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Rising Storm sounds sick, love toy-only characters getting some attention.

Foundation just sounds sad from this though :(  RIP Mowryverse.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

:lol  Why did they draw Shockwave as a odd mix of both movie and G1? Gawd that's awful.

7. blue death

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its definitely TF1 Megs as he turns into the crazy space jet. lol.

I assume its cool to post this pic here since today is the legal release day of the book but here ya go, a nice group shot of Megatron, Sentinel Prime, Optimus (pre-Prime), Shockwave, Elita, and Thetacon Ironhide
    [​IMG]

8. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Figures, I like the unused Shockwave design way more than the in-film design.:( 

edit: WAIT. Games and toys are made from the earlier concepts as they take longer to design, right? What are the chances that the Shockwave in the comic is movie-accurate? It looks very promotional picture-y.

9. rich_prime

rich_prime Banned

News Credits:
    Whats wrong with the movie design?

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, it's more that the design in the comic is more G1.

11. rich_prime

rich_prime Banned

News Credits:
    Oh I see oh well shockwave looks like shockwave to me he has one eye thats all is needed and a badass long gun.

Both designs are great

12. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Oh nothing's wrong with the movie design; I think its amazing. Just when compared to the comic version, I prefer the latter.

I'm a sucker for that G1 Shockwave head. Even with the...demon horns? :lol 

13. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Also, OP, could you describe Astrotrain? Does he actually turn into a train, or is it just a really ill-fitting name for a guy that turns into a star destroyer? :lol 

14. blue death

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a problem with either design really. Really digging both of them, but im with you on the comic design being slightly more badass. There both fantastic homages to the G1 character. I just wish his gun hand was on the correct side :lol 

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Well I hate it. The comic version. Looks like a bad joke. Does not work at all standing next to the other movie style bots. lol

But that's just my opinion.

16. blue death

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You tell me. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You don't get to see him much in the 1st issue in robot mode or in alt mode at all.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Ugh, Carlos Magno...

18. citoria

citoria Lord Dragon Master

I may be the odd one out but I am disappointed in Shockwaves design on the cover. The silhouette was much more menacing, you even saw the blade on his arm. This one looks like a step backwards.

Also what is up with that 'dust buster' canon?

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    What's this about Wheeljack?

20. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Well he's definitely...imposing, to say the least. I think he looks pretty cool, albeit a little GIANT ENEMY CRAB