Rising prices, what's your limit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cracka J, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With a lot of recent news popping up about hasbro hiking up prices starting with the new generations wave, I'm just curious to see what people's personal "limits" are with certain class sizes of toys. This is pretty much pertaining to domestic retail toys only. Is there a price that will force you to consider how many new toys you will buy, or to stop collecting mainline retail figures all together?

Now I'm saying domestic retail only because we all know we pay a higher premium for imports and 3P. If you're into that stuff, you know what you're money is being spent on so let's keep this to domestic retail.

Also before you guys overseas or up north start posting "lol, welcome to what we pay" remarks, please consider not just NA prices are going up, but rather if we were talking about worldwide price hikes. What are the the limits in your country where you would start considering or cut off buying certain sized figures completely?

Anyways to answer my own question, I think my deluxe cutoff is quickly approaching what I consider my personal limit, $15. Voyagers, probably $25-30, leaders likely $60. If prices begin to meet or exceed my limits in the coming years, I'll definitely begin to consider my purchases more carefully, and probably start cutting off buying the smaller deluxe sized figures if I don't feel like I'm getting my moneys worth.

I also want to make clear that your LIMIT doesn't have to be what you're ABLE to spend on toys with your income. Rather, your personal opinion on what you're willing to spend on a certain class size of toy. Just because I could spend $50 on a deluxe RiD figure doesn't mean I'm ever going to.

2. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

$20 for a Deluxe. At that price or higher, it must be very good or it can stay on the shelf to rot.

$30 for a Voyager. Any higher, it's not worth it.

Leaders entirely depend on who the character is. I'm not touching the Weaponizers with a 39.5' pole or any Bumblebee toys around that size.

At $7 and $10 for Cyberverse Legion/Legends and Cyberverse Commanders, it's already more than what I think they're worth by at least $3...

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

$18-20 for a deluxe, $25-30 for a voyager.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    It's actually a kind of difficult question, because I haven't bought a TF at retail for a loooooooong time :lol  Just trust Kapow Toys and order from them, so I pay a markup for knowing that I'll get my toys.

If I were to go back to retail... I'd say £15 for a deluxe, £25-30 for a Voyager, £45-50 for a Leader. Though I don't buy much mainline stuff now anyway.

5. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $15 for Deluxe
    $25 for Voyager

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    $10 PRID deluxes, $20 PRID Voyagers
    $15 Generations deluxes, $25 Generations Voyagers

So basically I'm there. The new stuff isn't worth it at all, from what I've seen/experienced. I'd rather buy older stuff. The upcoming FoC stuff looks better, but even then, some look worth it and some don't.

7. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

$17-$18 Deluxe
    $23 Voyager
    $45 Leader

If the prices keep raising I will have to buy alot fewer figures :( 

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Ding!Ding!

We have a winner.

Target's price increase on their Deluxes has me on the threshold of seriously reconsidering my collecting habits.

9. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like to quote you here, "I think my deluxe cutoff is quickly approaching what I consider my personal limit, $15. Voyagers, probably $25-30, leaders likely $60"

Thats exactly where im at, and I have had this conversation with my inner toy crackhead as of late.

We almost need a Graph or "techspec" style chart to visualize what im about to compare here.

Going back before the movie toys, you seemed to have a larger toy, simplistic TFmation, Higher count of different color paint apps. From Movie 1 to now, we have seen a rise and fall (pinnacle at ROTF) of TF complexity, A continue down trend of paint app count, A continue downtrend of size, and from my experience a rise in QC issues. Also another BIG deal for some is a continued drop in metal parts count (pins on wheels being replaced for tab on plastic wheels)

On the other hand you have had a massive outbreak in TF design. No longer do you get a shell of a car, with bot arms and legs that need to be folded out, now the car parts are the limbs and bodys.

Now one could easily say, that the time and effort, and cost of employing these highly skilled designers is a big part of the cost. One could argue the exact opposite, such smart people can develop something faster, with less effort..

Then the paint everyone complains about. Most of the time figures are only coming with just a few colors used.

GIMMICKERY is a factor that has to be considered. The large chunk of plastic mechteks, and now a weapon that has an LED, and a battery and wires...

I would LOVE to see a fan project with an amount of catagorys like paint apps, design depth, metal count..ETC in the verticle column, and the toy lines in a horizontal column.

So factor in all that stuff, If you ask me, the best bang for the buck was ROTF, seeing a steady decline in value for your money to today.

I had a similar thing happen with my Joe collecting. Prices got to a point that I just did not feel any of it was worth any of my money. I have all but stopped that hobby, save for the 30thand POC stuff.

I can see myself being VERY selective towards the generations line if indeed we see these things around the $16-$18 mark. RiD Bulkhead smashed my anticipation for voyagers. That does not feel like a $20 TF to me. no way. Compare that to the ROTF Mixmaster of stratosphere? heh..yea..

So im gunna say my limit is getting close to what the prices are now. If things continue to go where they are headed..Ill just start buying more ALts from people, and older things I missed, or wait and buy the stuff on sales or clearance minus the various "must haves"

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    This is pretty much me, though it's all a matter of whatever my budget is and if I like the character. Either way, with the prices raising, I'm gonna be a lot more selective in my purchases.

11. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers are very cheap considering what they do. Most people don't see them as having high worth though, since they've kept them cheap for so long. Probably would say a deluxe's worth can go to 30-40$.

12. AMG

AMG Old School

Deluxe - $15
    Voyager - $25
    Leader - $55

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't even know what my limit is, but I know it has to be drastically reduced from what I normally buy. I've just come to a point where I don't want to be importing everything Takara releases. At this point in my collecting, I think retail prices are going to be my max. I don't think I want to venture further from that unless it's a G1 on Ebay or something.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Something like $20 for a Deluxe and $30 for a Voyager, but that's for TFs I'd really want.

A lot of it depends on how many figures I plan to get. If there's only one or two figures in a whole line that I want, then sure I'll be willing to pay a little more. Conversely, if there are a lot of figures I want I can't really justify a higher price across the board.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If I'm paying more for a domestic Hasbro product than an imported Takara product, then I'm at my limit.

16. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say 18 bucks is the most I'd spend for a deluxe and maybe 35 for a voyager. The value of a leader figure greatly depends on the character and overall quality. Besides, leaders usually go on sale eventually.

It's honestly gotten to a point where I've become very picky with my purchases. For example, I'm sticking to only on screen characters for TF Prime. Deadend looks REALLY cool, but he's not an important character (nor is he on screen) and I already have Wheeljack (who is an important on screen character). If figures were still 8-10 dollars, I'd have snapped him up. However, since prices are so high, I just passed on him.

Hell, I'm even reconsidering buying Airachnid. I really want to complete the Decepticon cast, but just knowing how shitty the mold is really makes me hesitate the purchase...

17. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much dobe with retail....its the same reason I don't but ".99¢" bag of chips....half of it air....so with the figure being smaller and less appealing....I don't even hunt anymore.... but if I did have a limit...it would be 13$....

18. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

When it comes to retail stores, with the "more for less" approach Hasbro is doing lately, I've just hit my limit.

I don't want to pay more for a smaller figure with a lack of detail, paint apps, and seemingly poorer plastic quality. A character here or there, if it's a beloved character......If I think I can improve a figure myself, I might get it on a sale or clearance.

I didn't collect the Prime line. And it's looking like I'm not going to be collecting FOC either, except for "my" characters.

If there were no decline in size/quality, I could extend my limit a bit.

I've loved Cyberverse since DOTM, but I'm getting turned off of that with the prices rising, especially the Commander prices.

19. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scouts - 10 dollars.

Deluxes - 25 bucks unless I'm desperate in getting a deluxe that costs as much.

Voyagers - $30 for voyagers unless I can't find a better deal (like Galaxy Force voyager Starscream).

Ultra -Retail price (I think 30 dollars?)

Leaders - $60

Supremes - $100

20. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:

10 for a Cyberverse commander
    6 for a Cyberverse legion
    Deluxe 20
    voyagers 30
    leaders I don't buy them so I don't care.