Rise of the Guardians

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Sideswipe1954, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Music in the trailer really stood out to me, and it's definitely got dark undertones. Very interested.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

...Mother of God. This is the most epic thing I've seen in history.

Seriously, since I was a child I had that concept of all Holyday figures being major badasses fighting off evil [I WAS WEIRD CHILD, OKAY], NOW MY DREAMS BECOME TRUE. YES.

Also, Wolverine Easter Bunny = Epicness.

4. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Watched the film today, utilised the good old Search mechanic, and decided to revive this thread given that the film is actually out in the cinemas now :) 

My personal opinion? It was pretty freaking awesome. The visuals were truly wonderful, particuarly the effects of both the Sandman's dreamsand and Pitch's Nightmares, and I was very fond of the music score. There was this sense of true magical majesty when we saw the exotic bases of the Guardians; North's toyshop, Tooth's Palace, Bunny's Warren, truly gorgeous scenery that fit so well with their respective jobs and themes.

And the characters, booyah! I adored the characters, their funny moments, their bad-ass moments and their interactions with each other, from hilarious scenes like the tooth race and quiet scenes such as Jack talking with Tooth in the bedroom, as well as his chat with North about one's center.

I could go on, but really, I greatly enjoyed the film :D 

Anyone else?

5. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

Saw it twice during the week it came out. Definitely a great movie. I loved the character interaction and balance. Pitch was a great villain and the pacing to the story was amazing.

6. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see it on DVD. Dreamworks has really been stepping their game up and I think this movie looks really good. I think it will come down to this and Wreck-It-Ralph for best animated movie of the year.

7. Stryyder

Unless they go for Brave, but I don't think it holds up to those two.

8. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I'm going to see Rise of the Guardians again this weekend and I'm eagerly waiting the day it's on DVD. There isn't really much I can say that I haven't already said in the Last Movie You Saw thread, but to summarise: While I did think it went too fast at times, I like the creativity, the beautiful animation and most of the characters (I adored the Easter Bunny, Santa and the Tooth Fairy but I wasn't really keen on Jack Frost, Pitch or the Sandman).

And as far as I'm concerned, Russian Santa, Australian Easter Bunny and Half-Bird-But-Still-Moderately-Sexy Tooth Fairy are completely canon. But I won't perceive Jack Frost as what would happen if Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII joined One Direction...

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I had quite a few favourite scenes, actually :D 

.The tooth-collecting scene, truly and utterly fantastic, particuarly with this epic instance: "Ho ho ho." You know what I'm talking about ;) 
    .Jack scenes with North and Tooth, the former when they were chatting about their centers in his office and how North is the Guardian of Wonder, and the latter at Jamie's bedroom, where Tooth laments her lack of time on the field while Jack listens. Quiet, gentle moments with wonderful character interaction.
    . "Can't you see we're trying to argue?"
    . And of course, absolutely hands down one of the most awesome scenes in the film:

Pitch: "A quarter?"
    *Tooth punchs his goddamn tooth out*

10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Fantastic

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Huh. Anyone else noticed that Baby-tooth, the lil' fairy Jack saved, has mismatched eyes? One's the regular purple, but the other is blue.

12. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    Well it's good to hear that it's made back what it cost at the box office, but it's sadly only made an $8 million profit so far so I still don't think they'll make a sequel, especially with Breaking Dawn and Skyfall still raking in the paper and The Hobbit coming out in a few days...:cry 

13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Man, remember when Dreamworks sucked? It's like, after they made Kung Fu Panda, they finally got their act together and started living up to the promise they showed with Prince of Egypt.

Anyway, this film was friggin' great. Like How to Train Your Dragon, it didn't feel like a Dreamworks movie - and that's a good thing.

14. Stryyder

Dunno, I saw a lot of good movies and sleeper hits between PoE and Panda, particularly Road To El Dorado, Shrek, Chicken Run, Over the Hedge and Flushed Away. I'd say Rise and HTTYD are the only Dreamworks Animation features AFTER Panda that I've cared for. They need to bag the billion sequels/spinoffs to Shrek and Madagascar and go more original.

As to the talk of a possible sequel, I think if DVD/BR sales can get up high enough we'll see one. Honestly, they had to expect a low profit margin (respectively) going up against Twilight, Bond and Tolkein. Plus, the holiday season isn't over yet, they have time to make more as kids get movie giftcards in their stockings.

15. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

I forgot about Road to El Dorado, but Chicken Run's by Aardman, so I mostly attribute it's goodness to being by, well, Aardman. I always hated Shrek (although Shrek 2 was actually pretty solid), Over the Hedge was annoying, and Flushed Away was pretty bad despite being an Aardman flick.

16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Awsesome-sauce; Rise managed to win two awards! Hollywood Film Festival's Best Animated Feature Film and the Mini Valley Film Festival's Audience Favourite Children's Film.

I can definitely agree with the first choice; Rise had such gorgeous animation, from the subtle details of frost and Tooth's feathers, to entire scenes like Pitch's lair and the Warren :D