Ripped off on eBay, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ktulu, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In July I purchased a Transformers litho from a seller on eBay that, surprise~, never came. I sent the payment immediately after purchase. The user had great feedback so I trusted them. I sent multiple e-mails, all of which were not replied to. I eventually gave up and opened a dispute, but for one thing, the price of the item was in the minimum bracket, 26 bucks, meaning I only apply for a total of one dollar of my money back according to the website. Secondly, the user's account is now cancelled, and I see where they had lots of negative feedback all of a sudden citing the same issues I had...unreceived items and ignored e-mails. At this point I feel obviously I'm screwed out of my money that I really couldn't afford to be spending in the first place, despite the fact that it wasn't some insane $1,000 bid. I figured though perhaps some of you with more experience may know of a way I can actually do to get the damn money back, or something. If not, feel free to laugh at how ridiculous I am. Danke.

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I have had something similar happened, and I found out later the person had died.

His Paypal shriveled up because his bank account closed but no one ever took care of his eBay affairs.

Be sure to put all your online 'goings ons' in your will folks!

3. Ktulu

News Credits:
    I actually have wondered if maybe something bad happened to the guy, but of course the first thing any one thinks is "RARR I GOT RIPPED OFF"

4. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I was ripped off on ebay too on some Macross stuff. The person who used to be a member here just skipped out and left alot of folks hanging. In my situation I didn't have any luck. Neither ebay or paypal would refund my money. After that it was about 2 years before I used either of their services again.

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This has happened to me twice very recently. I ordered a G2 blue Grimlock and never got him. I filed a dispute with Paypal, but the guy had cancelled his account altogether. And right now I'm still waiting for some Transformers shotglasses that I ordered about a month ago.

6. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Geez. Up til now I had been lucky, years of eBaying on and off and I'd never got ripped off, but I guess you just can't go on without it happening once eh?

I like how as I've gone through all the links on both websites, it seems eBay likes to say "Go to PayPal to handle this" and then PayPal says "Go to eBay to handle this." Lulz.

:eek: 

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That was my first though, or the guy went to jail or something.

8. infinitesadness

infinitesadness Huh?

Recently, I had a case where an Ultimate Warrior i won didn't come. The seller constantly assured me that he/she wasn't trying to rip me off. But lo and behold, one day, i found out the acct has been cancelled....
    Had to open a dispute with paypal and fortunately paypal was able to reclaim my payment but at a $25 cost. O well, at least i got back abit of the money.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I got hooked up a long time ago, and never had to lose that $25 fee. I had paid via paypal, but instead of taking the money from my checking account, it came from my credit card. so instead of it being a paypal dispute, I took it to my credit card. they had VERY quick and easy conflict resolution. I was credited my money in about 2 weeks. just something for folks to think about.

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I got ripped off twice on eBay. Once, over goods that arrived damaged, with no external damage to the boxes. The item was some blacked out headlights and corner lenses for my Tundra.

The other time was over the Lumines game for PSP. I paid for it, and never got it. The seller even relisted it and was a bee-otch to deal with. The seller even tried reporting me as a non-paying bidder, when I had paid them for the item.

11. Ktulu

News Credits:
    That's one thing I worry about, getting ripped off and then made out as the bad guy by them. That sucks.

Thanks for the suggestion ckhtiger.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Just wait the standard 30 days or whatever (assuming he/she never replied to emails or phone calls), then file an Item Not Recieved in your Dispute Console.

Then wait 10 days or so (assuming he doesn't reply to you after the dispute is lodged) and choose to take the matter further by filing an Ebay Buyer Protection Claim, assuming you haven't already taken the matter up with your credit card company or paypal.

Any other payment methods are dealt through ebay.

Good luck.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh the joys of buying from Bills or BBTS.

i hate buying from auctions, i like the paper trail option. ebay has so many people that can just disapear with a trace, and just take your money, i just don't trust ebay at all. i would rather pay a few dollars more on like BBTS or bill's toys and games, then lose a lot on ebay. it's almost like gambling now a days, you just never know who's going to rip you off.

so i just prefer buying from online sites, that i know i can trust. even if it is a lot more money that way, because at least i know i am getting it.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    find him personally and kick his ass..

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm patiently waiting on an item now. I don't think I'm being ripped off, but it seems like the guy takes a long time to ship anything- at least that's what I gather from the long times between when bidding ended and when feedback was left. I'm leaving negative feedback, eventually, but for now I wait. And I've googled the guy's name, and know where he lives. Some freakin' ghetto apartments in South Carolina. Anyone wanna go kick his ass for me- or at least grab my bot? Or, get my bot AND kick his ass. That would rock. I'd pay you, like, 20 bucks to do it.

-Tony!