RIP my X-Box 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It started a few months ago.

I put a DVD in and got two red rings. After some loving care, and never putting a DVD in ever again, the red rings went away. But then came the noise. The very loud "WHIRR" noise of the laser reading the disc.

And now, today, the laser no longer "WHIRR"s. The discs are no longer read. And Halo Reach sits unplayed, as figurative tears roll down my figurative face.

RIP my X-Box 360. The cost to repair you is probably worth just getting a 250GB Kinect Bundle version.

2. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

Topics like this make me extremely apprehensive as an 360 owner. I wish there's a way to backup all your saves just in case something like this happened.

3. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Actually I was under the impression that Microsoft just charges a flat $100 fee for any repairs but I might be wrong. I just recently got my 360 back last week from Microsoft for the RROD after having it for 4 years but I DID too have the laser problem you had before I got this and it did eventually also die on me also so I feel ya KB.

That being said I've never lost any of my saves from my 360 kicking the bucket. I do fear a situation similiar's to Twin Twist from ever happening. That would probably be the worst. I'd take the hardware dying anyday over losing the weeks I've put into games.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Mine did that. The towel trick worked for about a week, then RIP.

Wrap it up and let it overheat, it will bypass the red ring.

The newer black slim version has worked like a charm so far. Would skip the Kinect crap though since it's tanking hard and will possibly get repriced soon. If you throw it away, keep the audio/video hookups since the new one (mine atleast) only comes with standard cables.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

$80 if you go through the website, $100 if you call in for repairs.

You could try calling and telling them that Halo Reach will not read. Some 360s have shitty disc drives and MS was fixing (either updating the drive's firmware or swapping the actual drive) them for free around the time Reach was released.

6. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    Buy a dreamcast what are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one? :lol 

Anyways if you can't pay for repair fees (or just don't want to), I recommend the new slim model. (But keep the AV cables like chaos muffin said before)

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Have any hard data to back this up? Kinect support for Netflix and the SDK just released, I doubt we've seen everything the device has to offer. I'd say the S-model Kinect Bundle is a pretty good deal for a replacement.

8. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Mine Red Ringed a while back too...it's stuff like the red ring that makes me really hesitant to buy another one...I know the newer systems has fewer fail rates, but if something does happen it'll be 200$ down the drain...

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Sucks to hear. If you do plan on getting it repaired, be prepared to deal with their customer support (though maybe in the two and a half-years that my 360 red-ringed, their support may have gotten better, who knows).

I'm surprised there hasn't been anyone who reported that the new 360 model got RROD'ed. Almost makes me want to get one, but my old 360 still functions just fine. Sure, it takes me two tries to actually boot the thing up, and it gives me the E74 message once in a blue moon, but it still works.

Then again...is it possible to trade in an older model 360 for a new one?

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Could the red ring be some kind of bizarre ploy by Microsoft? I can't really see any way of making money out of it... unless they thought people would just say f*** it and buy new ones. It doesn't make much sense... but hey, it's Microsoft... it doesn't have to make sense.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sorry to hear about your 360 KB.

Apparently the Kinect is the fastest selling electronic device ever, beating Playstations, iWanks, Walkmans, everything.

BBC News - Microsoft Kinect 'fastest-selling device on record'

So I have no idea whats up with the Kinect. On one hand its doing well, on the other it isn't.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My condolences. :( 

I'd get the 250GB bundle if I had the chance. My lowly 60GB hard drive is about to burst at the seems.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Kick, do whatever you’re comfortable with, but there was a time when Microsoft was taking pretty much any broken Xbox as a RROD.
    However, I don’t know if even the RROD is a free fix anymore.

Yeah, it’s amazing how quiet Microsoft was about that.
    The device has a lot of potential, and it zipped into millions of homes.
    I was pretty forgiving of the first run of software, but it’s been six months and all we’ve gotten are Wii-like games or outright Wii ports like Carnival Games. (vomit.jpg)
    There was an update that allows the Kinect to control Netflix, but it’s so gimped that it falls squarely in the ‘why bother at all?’ category.

14. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Kicky, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the slim model... if you know someone with a fat model 360, pop your harddrive in their unit and back up your data on a flash drive.

oh, just a tip if you have pets... keep the 360 slim in a spot they won't get too close to it. the power and eject button are heat sensitive... when I was playing at a friend's place doing side-by-side WfC, I had my unit on the floor and his dog brushed against my console twice... once ejecting the disc during an online match and a second time turned off the power during another match.

yeah, those buttons are VERY sensitive.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm on my 3rd 360

16. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Don't know if this will help but Microsoft I believe has a 3 year manufactuer warranty on certain failures including Red Ring of Death and Error 71s.