RIP Fire Pro Wrestling

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gryph, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Fire Pro Wrestling was one of the most legendary series of Japanese wrestling games. It was 2d, yet had more depth than most 3d wrestling games. It's editor was a legend unto itself. With enough time and effort, you could make just about anyone.

Now it's been reduced to a goddamn XBL Avatar game.

FIRE PRO WRESTLING!! XBOX LIVE ARCADE - THIS FRIDAY!!! - YouTube

When I first saw this bullshit on XBLA, I thought it was simply ripping off the title. I just checked, and it is indeed official. You know something's wrong when a person's first impression of your game is that it's a bootleg of your own series.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I like it. It's not great but still pretty fun.

I also don't hold FPW to some super high standard. While I enjoyed them, especially 6 Men Scramble, I don't feel personally slighted by this game as it seems everyone does.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Same. They're really great games, but I don't have the series up on some pedestal like it's godly or something. The fact that very few FPW games have been released in the US doesn't help things either(to the best of my knowledge).

Anyway, no way this is the last FPW game ever. It's just a fun side venture for XBL.

4. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

I'm a big wrestling fan and understand why FPW is held in high regard. Would I like FPW taken seriously, yes I do. But I dont see this being a step down, just a game that gives me the opportunity to have fun playing with my avatar.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Fire pro was fantastic. I used to literally live by that shit until No Mercy, and even a while after. I don't even think it's possible for a 2D wrestling game to be better.

Can't lie... kind of interested in the XBL version... realistically what drew me was the insanely huge movelist, and if that's still there, then I'm in.

6. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Instead of that travesty Spike should have dusted off Fire Pro Returns, gave the graphics a HD makeover and added some more moves and character parts to the already extensive selection.

7. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thought it was gonna play like the old N64 titles. Seemed like it at first.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

As I wrote on twitter; My goodness, Fire Pro Wrestling is a pile of festering shit. Bad times.

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I see it as more of a "keep the name in circulation and make some money off XBL" than a full on FPW title...like Rock Band Blitz...it's just a way to keep the name going on the cheap until a real new game hits.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Probably, but this is the sort of thing that can seriously hurt an IP. Fire Pro is already a niche title in the US. Doing this is just going to turn off new players to the series as a whole.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I own Fire Pro A, D and R. I played A every day for 3 years and its still my all time favourite wrestling game. Simulating matches is still a thing of beauty in all past Fire Pro games, the AI is godly. As a long time wrestling and puroresu fanboy I'm appalled such a terrible Fire Pro game could even exist.

12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

The quality of the AI on FPR blew my mind after being used to the THQ WWE games :lol 

I got quite into tinkering with it on each character so they actually wrestled like they did in real life in simmed matches and my best result was a 60 minute epic between Misawa & Kobashi that ended via Burning Hammer with 20 seconds left.

I also love the CRITICAL! injury/KO wins....Vader's powerbomb was lethal!

There's also something satisfying about being able to do various finishing sequences manually instead of pressing a button for a canned animation....I was amazed when I downloaded a CAW of Hogan and discovered I could do the whole "Hulk Up" routine including the "You!" taunt myself.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main thing that bums me out is the idea of people remembering FPW as 'that kinda shitty XBLA avatar game'. :( 

SFPWXP on ZSNES in highschool, man.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Played the demo and I dug it. Yeah, it's not a very deep wrestling game, but you can still wrestle and win matches to earn money and exp to level your wrestler. And unlock more moves, finishers, and costume pieces. Not bad for a $10 game.

But I find it very disappointing that while they give you 6 slots for 6 custom wrestlers, you're limited to customizing *only* your current avatar. So really they're only letting you have up to 6 different versions of your Fire Pro'd avatar. I know that's the point of the game, but I still would like to be able to create entirely original wrestlers in this.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    A $10 game?

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns was released in the US at $15. Now there's some damn value.

This looks like... $5, at best.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

FPR has 500 slots for custom wrestlers and over 300 characters to choose from as default.

And that was on a last generation console.

So this latest effort has stepped ever so slightly backwards.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Oh wow. I just decided to go check something. This game was released simultaneously worldwide, including Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if it really does hurt the series.