RIOBOT, RIO:bone, & re:creatures General

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by @l3x, Jul 21, 2012.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't see a thread for this anywhere.

Not too sure where to start since I know very little about this company, except that they are relatively new and small. The quality of their figures seems to vary between lines since they contract jobs to outsiders (I think...).

RIOBOT covers robots, obviously.
    RIO:bone covers human characters, for the most part.
    re:creatures is pretty self-explanatory.

Anyway, the reason I bring all this up is because I just ordered the newly released RIO:bone Canti figure, designed by a group called Sen-ti-nel. And it looks incredible.

If anyone is able contribute to this thread, more information on the company/companies behind these toys would be greatly appreciated. Also, discuss which of these figures you own/want. Pictures are always a plus. GO!

Attached Files:

2. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just waiting my invoice from Amiami to pay for my Canti. Riobone seems to be scaled around human sized characters even if they're not humans, themselves.
    I haven't heard of re:creatures. What have they got in that line so far?

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The Riobot (Riot Robot) and Riobone (Don't ask me what that's supposed to stand for) lines are both made by Sen-ti-nel, who contracts out various sculptors to do their projects. Figures such as the Delphines from Break blade and the upcoming Gurren Lagann were sculpted and designed by Chemical Attack. The Riobot Eva-01 was done by someone else - can't remember off the top of my head.

I've never heard of re:creatures?

Sen-ti-nel do good stuff, though their current library of releases is very small. The Delphines are excellent, supremely poseable and incredibly well painted. Quality is top notch. In terms of Riobone stuff, they've basically only released Panty and Stocking from the show of the same name, soon to be joined by Canti (who despite being a robot, of sorts, is not part of the Riobot line).

They just put out the first release of their Riobot Gurren Lagann, which I'm eagerly awaiting the restock of in September.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More in-hand pics of the Gurren Lagann can be found in the Toysdaily thread here: Toysdaily thread

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    And just for funsies, some terribly lit older photos of one of my Delphines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone has a chance to pick one of these up at a decent price, I'd totally recommend it. An impressively designed and very cool piece. Lots of multimedia parts, different plastics and rubbers, crazy inventive joint design, and rock solid construction that really shouldn't be as solid as it is for how tiny and thin the figure is.

If you can get the Type 3 Armored version, even better, since it's the core figure with some slight molding changes and a whole huge set of armor plates that can be attached to the figure to turn it into an unstoppable Juggernaut of destruction.

[​IMG]

5. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devilman Amon, whoever that is....:confused: 

I guess it makes sense that Canti would be in the RIO:bone line since he mostly hangs out with humans (I've only seen a couple episodes of FLCL, wasn't really my taste but I LOVE Canti's character design).

Attached Files:

6. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The riobot Gurren lagann's finally out? I can't wait to see some reviews.
    I'm mostly looking foward to the Riobone Nono at the moment after just finishing Diebuster.

[​IMG]

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Am eagerly awaiting my payment request for Gurren Lagann. I've been looking forward to that figure for around a year now and its only a week or so away now :D 

Will probably pick up Nono and Lazengann too. Thought about getting Panty and Stocking, but there was something off about them that I really didn't like. Especially Panty.

8. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    There's something Mamoru nagano-esque about this design. Maybe it's just the giant lance/gun weapon that makes me think of the LED Mirage V3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the "mistake" of looking up the Break blade manga when I found out about the RioBot Delphine, and as a result I felt the need to buy all of their releases of that particular figure. I think I should probably avoid this manga for my own good :p 

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Japanese photoreview of Riobone Canti:

RIO:bone

11. Sup3hobo

News Credits:
    The length of that lance is ridiculous. :lol  I'm definitely getting a Five Star Stories/ L-Gaim vibe for this design.

12. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So perfect....

13. Sup3hobo

News Credits:
    I'm not the biggest fan of FLCL, but sentinel's interpretation of Canti just looks so spot on that it's going to be really hard to pass up on this.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I got my Canti yesterday. He's a pretty awesome figure - toooons of accessories, and the box he comes in is ginormous as a result. Lots of clever joint designs in place on him, lots of expanding and contracting joint pivots that allow you to pull his hips and shoulders out from his body and increase the range of motion. The outward swivel hinge on the right hip of my Canti is a bit loose but it's nothing too major; I can't pose him high kicking outward or anything, but he's in no danger of falling over.

Materials and build wise, he feels a lot like the Panty and Stocking sisters - very solid feeling, despite his overall lanky proportion. He's taller than the sisters, too, by a good inch or so. the poncho he comes with is pretty cool - it could easily be used on just about any other similarly sized figure that you could pull the head off of, which is a nice bonus.

Overall I dig him, but in a way I kind of wish he didn't come with so much stuff - From a design standpoint I'd like to display him in his basic form, which makes it feel like so much of what's been put in with this toy is wasted. I'm the sort of person who likes to leave the accessories in the box and enjoy the figure on its own merit, so I'm certainly biased in this manner, though.

As an aside, I've been checking out the Manga for "Knights of Sidonia". It starts off preeeeetty badly but has been steadily improving to the point where it's a pretty fascinating read. In the last issue of the manga, there was a short illustrated story showing a "behind the scenes" look at the development of the manga - apparently the first issue of the series was written and illustrated in one week (which would explain why the first volume is AWFUL and sloppy feeling), and the mech design was put together from dozens and dozens of chopped apart model kits (which would explain why so many aspects of the Tsugimori's design remind me of other mechs, in particular the Gaplant from Zeta Gundam).

15. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm very happy to hear that Canti turned out decent having just recieved my shipping notice!

From what we've seen, the red version won't be coming with nearly as many accesories, just a cape and guitar. I wonder if that'd make it cost less.

If it needed to come with more, I'd like it to see it with add-ons to create the artillary cannon mode and some iteration of the terminal core from episode 6. Browsing deviantART Just if they had to sell it at the same price as the blue version, and as a huge FLCL fan, I'd need to buy both.:p 

16. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    Dang, that Canti looks nice, but it's a bit pricey for my tastes. Doesn't help that amiami doesn't give shipping prices until after you confirm your order (seems a bit odd and shady compared to other companies that do offer that price up before confirmation). Maybe if I truly missed out on SDCC Bruticus I'll think harder about Canti. How tall is he?

17. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    7"

18. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome, glad to hear he's as tall as his product page said.

Regarding the loose hip, does is seem like something that could be fixed with Pledge w/ Future Shine floor polish?

If you haven't heard of that stuff, it has basically replaced superglue in the toy community as a way of tightening up not only balljoints, but also hinges. You can put a somewhat generous amount on the loose joint, and then wipe the excess off with a tissue before it hardens. Best part is that if you apply too much, applying more after it hardens will cause it to un-harden and THEN you can wipe it off.

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I know future very well. The joint itself is an encased pinned joint. It would be very difficult to get anything in there. It'd be a bit like trying to add pledge to a figma joint if the joint was permanently fixed together.

20. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just saw this. Wonderfest Winter 2010: Funny Bunny | CollectionDX
    So apparently Sentinel got a group called Funny Bunny to do Canti based on a Wonderfest kit they'd already done? I'll admit to not fully grasping the whole matter, but I wonder if there's a chance at that Mahoro garage kit from earlier that year getting admitted into the Riobone line- I say knowing I'll later end up feeling as stupid as I did after suggesting they add more bits to the red Canti.:dunce 

[​IMG]
    WonFes Summer 2010 - Mahoromatic Figma Garage Kit by KyokoHunterOver9000, on Flickr

edit: And now a remember seeing this thing and am pretty sure this is where they got the Nono figure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diebuster-B...900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4605b6254c
    I'm seriously wondering now what other Wonderfest kits are fair game.