Righting the wrongs: Classics Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PANTSMAN1973, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
  3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

4. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    It's just a fan idea.:) 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To my knowledge, it's about as "official" as saying that the Classics Optimus Prime is an update of the 1984 version of G1 Prime.

The design cues on Classics Grimlock have several points of match to the Pretenders/Classics Grimlock. I think it's worth to note that the G1 Pretenders/Classics Grimlock is an update to the 1985 Grimlock toy, as they are the same character (of course).

I think a point of contention here is that the figure noted above is overlooked when fans create their opinion of a toy like this. I've always felt the design cues from the Pretenders/Classics Grimlock were a clever G1 fan nod. That said, I understand the frustration of someone who ONLY looks at the 1985 toy/design as pretty much the only one "Grimlock".

6. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

and that's why i said:

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Agreed.

Looking back at the first Classics line, the design for each toy looks like it was all over the place. Ironically, as the line evolved, the designs that really stood out and withstood time are the ones that hold a closer homage to the original which was the entire point of the line. Universe 2.0 and Generations releases took a lot from designs from Classics Starscream and Ramjet. A clearer homage to the original, SS, ravage, Hound, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Inferno etc. RTS is the most refined one to date. Jazz is the epitome of Classics and where it is headed. This is also why I find Classics OP and Jetfire do not look that good on my classics shelf.

Surprisingly, 3rd season characters took from Galvatron where the Alt is earth based rather than go with the more successful Cyclonus which has a more accurate alt mode. Sometimes, I wonder if the above 1st and 2nd season characters influenced the decision to have earth modes instead.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Classics molds are really showing their age when compared to newer figures (like RtS Jazz, as you mentioned). Jetfire is really the standout figure for this. Mainly for me, I want a much larger Jetfire toy. However, the figure has very limited poseability as well. Classics Optimus Prime is still a very cool figure, though. Rodimus is too, but that mold is showing it's age as well.

As for Galvatron, the toy design really suffers from being scaled down to the deluxe size. As far as it being an Earth mode alt mode, that's mainly more to do with it being on the shelf with the rest of the figures in the Universe 2.0 line as well as other TFs on the shelf at the time.

9. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    pfft....shame on you.

shame.

on.

you.

:) 

10. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    As grimlock would say... Me likeeeeee but saying that I love the dinobots to bad they dont get many figures

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that Classics Grimlock is a thoroughly disappointing figure for me... I keep him purely in dino mode, to save him any embarrassment.

I do hope Hasbro decide to do a FoC version of him to make amends though, as I just cannot class the Masterpiece version as a substitute - Too out of scale with the rest of the figures I own. As such, all my Grimlock's have their own little shelf display.

12. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Can someone post a pic of MP Grimlock with Classics figures?

13. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Guys, put the MP Grimlock Appreciation on hold because I don't have one yet!:cry 

14. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

15. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    In dino mode he ain't that bad looking with the classic figures...but what about robot mode? I think he wouldn't fit in then.....

16. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Psst... They're all designed to be toys.
    Because I'd rather have a dinobot that looks like the modern concept of how a T. Rex looks like.

Also, beginning your sentence with "I really don't understand" and ending it with "in my opinion" doesn't help your statement. What you should understand is that that is your opinion and that others may, and likely do, have differing ones.
    Pretty sure it was mentioned to be designed that way in one of the Generations '09 interviews.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was thinking I had read this from a designer as well, but since I couldn't find a source with my 1 minute Googlefu, I just decided to go with the facts I had in front of me.

18. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    It looks better as Overkill. I hope we get a badass FoC Grimlock.

19. tactikill decoy

tactikill decoy Well-Known Member

grimlock is way to iconic to be remolded or revamped. if they could do a classic g1 just a touch larger that would be great , inbetween g1 and the tru masterpiece. luckily i started recollecting transformers, with the movie release, so i went with leader class optimus, deluxe bumblebee, voyager ironhide and rachett. then the glory of mp-10 optimus was bestowed among us and he is scaled great with the movie transformers, and tru masterpiece grimlock.

20. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Personally i loved classics grimlock