Ridley Scott signs to direct Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by GogDog, Jul 31, 2009.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

While I'm interested in knowing where the Aliens come from and how they were created, I think revealing everything will just take all the mystery out of it.

But one good thing to come of this is that it will pretty much destroy any continuity ties the Alien movies have to the Alien vs. Predator movies.

3. Conboi

Conboi Active Member

I hope he can bring the suspense back to the franchise, but it just sounds like the same old thing all over again.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If anyone could pull it off he could.

5. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

As long as the chestburster doesn't cry out "Are you not entertained!?" after ripping through its first sternum, I think it'll be good.

Honestly, though, this is great news. The only thing better would be James Cameron doing a divergent sequel to Aliens, but that's about as likely as...

...well, actually, this.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Haha, agree on all things.

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I thought this wouldn't happen...but I'm very happy.:)  Wooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Guess that means more Space Jokey storytelling...

8. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus, I really don't care. Prequels for the most part a waste of time.
    The only prequel I can say I really like and enjoy is 'Rise Of The Lycans'.
    There's so much history between AVPR and ALIEN that can't covered in this prequel. There will always be something that will link them.
    Maybe only a shadowy core of WY knew about the Alien, hence the company at large was oblivious to the Alien, but knew of the Predator (AVPR Yutani scene, Predator 2)?
    As we see in 'Predator 2', even the CIA knew about Predators. The squad in the town during AVPR, led by the shifty General, I always took as being the same outift from Predator 2, they were tracking the Predator, hence the 'what the F*** are you?' line when he sees an Alien.

I have debated the AVP/Alien/Predator links with friends, but the one ningling question is: was Ash's special directive designed specifically for when the Alien is re-encountered? If so, is the beacon they intercept of Predator origin, like the signal in AVPR emitted by the downed Predator cruiser or is it encountered later during another, as yet unseen, contact with the Alien/Pilots before ALIEN?
    OR - Is it just a generic directive that Ash acts on? If so, why is it 'special' enough to legitimise his actions? Deep stuff.

True. I hope he doesn't think he can get away with a loose remake.

Indubiably.

9. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ooh, Scott on Alien and Rodriguez on Predator. Fucking awesome.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i hope to god this movie doesn't suck :( 

11. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

He is Ridley Scott, i bet he'll make a good movie.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I really hope it's good.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I bet it's Humanity has finally gained control of the Aliens and now that biology forms the basis of all their technology, hence that funky ship found in Alien. That ship is an experimental timeship and it ends up in the past because some of the Aliens in it mutate back to their original form and escape.
    So basically, the Aliens have no actual creation and it's just one of those time loop origin things.
    I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it's probably the kind of stuff Hollywood would come up with.

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I have faith in Ridley. And since he's the one making it I might actually watch it.

15. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can't say I'm excited about this news at all. I'm pretty much at peace with the Alien series as a whole. Though I'm not against a Prequel, I just don't see the pont in it besdies assuging the rabid fanboys of the franchise and giving them on fuel to piss on the last two Alien films (A3/AR) and the spin offs (AVP), though two out of four are indeed awful (Ressurection and Requiem).

Ridley Scott is also capable of making mediocre movies as well and done quite a few (four or five to be exact) of them after Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven, though the latter is debatable among some.

16. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Well, as we have learned so many times, a good director never guarantees a good film. I think he will defintely make a good one, but I wouldn't bet on it as a sure thing.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fox's 'Alien' Prequel Dead, 'Prometheus' Rises

Source: TheHollywoodReporter

The Alien prequel is dead and a new Ridley Scott project has been reborn.

Fox has announced that instead of making a much-talked about Alien movie, the project has been reconfigured as an original sci-fi movie, titled Prometheus, with Scott still at the helm and with Noomi Rapace to star.

Showing how serious it is about the movie, Fox has set a March 9, 2012 release date.

Damon Lindelof is working together with Scott on the new script, which was originally written by Jon Spaihts and based on an idea by Scott. It was under Lindelof that the project morphed into something more original.

“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place,” said Scott in a statement. “The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.”

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots,” stated Lindelof. “I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects.”

Fox and Scott have been working on an Alien prequel for the last two years and began reading and testing actors for the project late last summer. Rapace, best known for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, was on the list of actors that also included Gemma Arteron, Charlize Theron, Michelle Yeoh, Michael Fassbender and James Franco, all of whom swirled around it in various forms. Time will tell which ones will stick with it, although both Fassbender and Theron were being seriously considered for Universal’s Snow White project.

Prometheus is actually a bold move for Fox as it means leaving behind a project that has a strong brand and legacy behind it. You’ve got to wonder what kind of conversations Scott had with the studio to persuade them to go with it.

19. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

Don't really care about this new project.It doesn't seem to belong in the alien universe and i'm an Alien fan.That means no Giger,no new alien design,not a freaking thing.I felt robbed

20. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

So, uh, come again? Does it still take place in the Alien universe or is it something totally new with elements of inspiration?