RIDForever.info Discussion Thread - All Things RID in Here!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Divisive? In a Transformers forum? I've never heard of such a concept :p 

2. titanbot

titanbot New Member

G1 and this one was my favourites TF series, I really like the decepticons on the series and Scourge was a bad ass epic character ever made

3. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

WOW love those pics by joe moore!!

4. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a sequel to RID, I have a few ideas for it, the Commandos break out of prison, turns out the Decepticons existed before, being a small team under Megatron/Gigatron's command, The Autobots return to Earth, to finish the war.

5. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I feel that RiD is too old of a series to warrant a sequel now. That would be like resuming the G1 toon following the events of rebirth, and expecting it to be successful 26 years later when the 10 year olds that watched it are now approaching 40 years of age. Likewise, the 10 year olds that watched RiD are now of drinking age, likely are in college, and more concerned with other things.

I do however agree that a DVD release of the series in the US, or even a BluRay release, would be a logical move. This would however require Hasbro/Shout Factory to purchase RiD back from Disney first. I don't know for certain if such a purchase would be cost effective or not. Given Hasbro's current financial hardship and the fact that they're practically hemorrhaging money, not to mention how much Disney would likely charge for a television series, I don't really see it happening.

So far as reissue are concerned, I'm pretty sure that's impossible now. I believe we have Universe 1.0 to thank for that. I believe that the RiD Car Bros. molds are beyond salvage, Team Bullet Train would be to expensive to reproduce, which is why we didn't get it reissued in universe. The spychangers were repainted to a ridiculous degree, plus having been G2 molds, are likely to old/worn.

Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus probably wouldn't happen as the new contemporary Prime in both the movie universe as well as in TF:p  resembles that general design, and RiD Prime would be nearly unrecognizable to the market in supermode, or as Omega Prime. I'm not sure how those molds would hold up anyway, their last usage was in TF:Cybertron as that Costco 2pack.

The flip changers were also reused molds from Machine Wars, and were reused as recently as Robot Masters. Given how simplistic those were, I don't know if they would sell well. Not to mention there had been Knock Offs of them at Big Lots in recent years, so I don't even know if the molds for them are still in Takara-Tomy's hands.

The predacon trio, sky-byte, and bruticus would likely not sell well at all unless it were somehow fit into the TF:p rime Beast Hunters series, though I don't see that happening without extra gimmicks crammed in, and potentially heavy remolding to add extra spikes like they did with Bumblebee and the rest.

The Combaticons is one case where Hasbro dropped the ball big time in my opinion. It utilized a G1 mold from 1985, by far the oldest in RiD, and it was repainted twice for Wal-Mart exclusives, not to say anything for G2, and Battle Gaea. Hasbro very easily could have utilized Die Cast and made a Commemorative Series reissue of Bruticus at Toys 'R' Us. It would have helped to fill in the decepticons a little more evenly, considering for the Original run of the Commemorative Series, all we got were 4 seekers and Astrotrain. Soundwave and the Insecticons came much later, so I didn't count those. Who knows, Bruticus could have been something to have turned the sales around and save the Commemorative Series.

Fortress Maximus, yeah we all know about that one. Though the Encore looks promising.

Scourge likely wouldn't work, especially considering just how much the articulation and detail for bottle-nosed semi transformers has improved in recent years. just look at voyager Battle Blades optimus from HftD.

Megatron and Galvatron would just be downright rediculous, and a guaranteed shelf warmer.

Ultimately, RiD was excellent for it's time, and ultimately saved the Transformers brand from extinction, but it was meant for it's own time. A resurrection of any sort to me does not seem realistic.

6. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    double post.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

Well, I saw a little picture of a live-action RID Optimus prime while listening to the soundtrack. Found it very interesting.

8. Predaking EX

Predaking EX Yesssss

Ebay:
    I've been re-watching all transformers shows that aired in USA from BW-Prime. Right now I'm on episode 26 of RiD(SABAN Dub) and I'm still on the fence with the show. I like the humor of Sky-Byte, I love Scourge, and Omega Prime is still IMHO one of the coolest looking Primes ever made. But other than that its really hard for me to enjoy the show. Maybe its because I started watching it right after BM which I loved and when compared to each-other there the exact opposite. But for all I know I might enjoy the show more after I watch the original JP dub if it ever gets released because besides Sky-Byte I think the VA for this show is god awful, especially OP and Megatron and again this is more against Saban then Car Robots, so I'm almost done with the show, only 13 episodes left I hope there good because I really wanted to like this show.

9. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

RiD is actually what got me back into Transformers way back after my teen years. I never liked them in CGI and beast modes so when I saw they were returning to their roots with vehiculars and classic cel hand drawn animation I tuned in and became hooked. Especially with characters such as Cerebros/Fortress Maximus appearing along with actual Decepticons (Loved the Ruination Team and Scourge). I liked new characters like Team Bullet Train and Sidburn too. I also thought that Neil Kaplan did an excellent job creating a Prime-like voice for Optimus.

10. Kingsley1701

Kingsley1701 New Member

Got to love RID. When Optimus Prime turns into a super mode/volunteer fireman you know sh@t is hitting the fan.

11. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a damn DVD release of this series already.

12. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    Does Disney still own the RID Cartoon or did they go back to Saban when he purchased it back a couple years back?

Either Disney or Saban would either have to put some money into releasing the discs or Hasbro would have to be willing to pony up the dough to buy the rights back for it and I am sure either the Mouse or Ranger Central are asking for a high price for those 39 episodes.

But one can dream. I'm actually making my way through the series right now.

On Sky Byte Saves the Day and I can understand why Fox didn't show this one during its initial run. Over a decade later and I was unsettled when that Tokyo tower started falling.

13. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, I have such fond memories of it.

14. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still can't believe there's no US DVD for RID. It needs to be in my TF collection damn it. This series made me returned to the TF Universe thanks to the return of vehicles. Nothing wrong with BW/BM, I do like the animation/story but I hate the toys.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    ^^ Nice tusko.

Playing around a bit, did this up today. Wanted to do this shot for years. Will try to do up the robot version soon.

This is every Spychanger released in RID, red-style or Armada-style boxes. And, any mold that made it's first appearance in either of those box styles, if it had a redeco later (like the Scourge->Movie Prime, etc).

[​IMG]
    http://www.ridforever.info - All your Robots In Disguise and Car Robots needs!

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's awesome. I'm pretty envious of that, Bossman. I'm glad I have most of 'em at least :) 

18. optimaliii

optimaliii Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That actually is pretty cool. Don't think much of the spychangers, besides the original 6. But seeing all of them together like that is impressive.

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I sure miss RiD's style and wish it would get that DVD release already.

20. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Ruination!!!!!!!!
    Love the tiny tins) awesome pic!

Are you not entertained?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013