Non-TF: Riddle Me This.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Riddle Me This.

As you guys know, I've talked about being at work and just sketching around. This is a product of another such endeavor, much like my last. I essentially wanted to play around with the colors as well, shooting for a much more abstract look. I wouldn't mind to actually go in and end up with a piece that's nice and clean as well. Eh, I just wanted to goof around a little bit, both with the sketch and the colors. As I said in the Toyark Creative Forum, I'll discuss a little more later :wink: 

Enjoy! :) 

(Colored illustration, PS; enhanced line art, PS; original scanned sketch)

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I wish I got paid to doodle. especially if I could doodle junk work like this.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I like it! The face actually looks like a cross between Johnny Depp and Liam Neesam, very cool!

I've never been able to capture a good likeness of a "real" person. Whether you modeled this after anyone in particular or not it looks fantastic! No question marks?

I really like your color palette, but the middle one is striking in its simplicity. I would love to see that with the colors reversed, make the shapes more solid, less shaded and go for a noir-ish look! That would be cover material for sure, especially given the character.:thumbs2: 

EDIT** Ahh....Sneaky devil! Now I see the Q-marks on the tie and handkerchief. On the middle one too no less, my fave!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Some nights are quieter than others, and some nights I'm more inspired than others :) 

I'll go ahead and reveal myself here. I actually based the illustration from a few photos of Mr. Depp. I'm quite the Johnny Depp fan, actually, and would love to see him take on the role. When I first got to work that night, I saw something very briefly discussing it and just got inspired to try to make a sketch that look a bit more finished than the Circuit Breaker I sketched not too much before this one. I referenced a photo of him with glasses as well so I'd know what he'd look like with glasses (the initial photo didn't have him with glasses on).

Thanks for the comments on the colors :)  When I got home, I fully intended to color it, but I really didn't want to spend the time to color it in a precise way (read: coloring inside the lines). I often like the more abstractness of things like this a bit, so I figured I'd just place the palette on and be done. I've spent 2 hours on this piece total, and that's all I really wanted to do.

If someone else wants to take the sketch and color it, by all means do so (just provide proper credit). Glad you guys like it :) 

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good choice in using Johnny Depp as the reference. I can totally see him wear that outfit to be the Riddler. Your original sketch is very solid. The colored version works really good as a poster. :thumb 

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice stuff bro.

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Amazing. Just amazing. :thumb 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I can't take credit for casting him, as the part was offered to him (he's yet to confirm/reject the last I've heard). With this piece, I just wanted to imagine the confirmation :)  I've seen other digibashes and the like as well, but I wanted to take another chance and flex my drawing muscles again to scrape a bit more rust off :) 

I did approach the whole thing as a poster. I also wanted to play with the tagline text just a bit too :)  If anything, it was a good few hours of fun :) 

Thanks a lot for the props, guys :)  I really appreciate the feedback; it means a lot. :) 

9. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

i love that!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Wow, thanks! :) 

11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Good touch and sense of color, I like.