Riddle me this... why no original figures from TFCC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK, so I was just thinking about this. Why is it that Fans Project can give us the Insecticons at $50 a pop, but the Transformers Collectors Club cannot make an original figure from scratch for the same $50 price tag?

I am thinking the production runs for said figure would probably be in the 2000-4000 range for the Insecticons, and if I am not mistaken, that was the production run (quesstimated) for this years TFCC exclusive.

Besides the obvious, "If they cannot figure out how to run an online store, what makes you think they can get their shit straight on creating an original figure?", why do you think (cause let's be honest, none of us really know) that we cannot get original figures from TFCC?

It would be awesome if Fans Project was the new TFCC, at least we would get something worthwhile from them.

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Because they'd have to go through Hasbro and pay for the mold(s) to be made. Real factory molds, not 3rd party "garage outfit" stuff. And that just wouldn't be feasible cost-wise. You'd probably be paying $300+ alone for a single fig.

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly.

It's the whole "economies of scale" argument and TFCC simply doesn't have "the scale."

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, but ask many of a person the quality of FP stuff, it's not "garage outfit". It is grade A stuff better then Hasbro tbh.

Also, couldn't they just use the Hasbro license and get the stuff made somewhere else, or do they need to use Hasbro's factory? You know, the same factory which FP probably uses as well.

Let's rewind. How is FP bigger then TFCC? How is any third party bigger then TFCC?

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd say FP's stuff is pretty comparable to what we've gotten from H/TT, but I wouldn't call it better. I think they're getting there, though. The difference in quality seems to be fading in favor of FP. And I say this despite owning FP Bruticus, Springer, and the Insecticons as well as TFC's Devastator and iGear Thundercracker.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) TFCC HAS to go through Hasbro, ergo they have to deal with Hasbro's cost structure. Like Galaxy said, this means no garage-scale low cost stuff. This doesn't mean 3P is of cheap quality, just that they can do many things more cheaply. Like hire some random kid to paint up a prototype, etc.

2) TFCC has the one store, 3P gets sold through many outlets.

7. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I would.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I think it's a combination of 3rd party plastic getting better and hasbro saving money on their plastic.

But the insecticons I think have the strongest plastic I have seen to date. The same cannot be said for all 3rd party companies however.

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

FP also doesn't need to worry about a lot of the rules and regulations that TFCC does. Anything TFCC would make would still need to pass safety and testing and what have you.

... and at that point, why wouldn't Hasbro step in and be like "... we want to use the new mold now."

As is, they sell old molds at ridiculous prices, most of which sell out almost instantly. Why in god's name would they want to change that?

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Actually, I think TFC's Hercules and iGear Lightning come very close (somewhat closer than FP) to duplicating the official feel, even if the latter is a tweaked replica/knock-off.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Because it's cheaper to use molds Hasbro has already invested in instead of developing all-new molds simply to follow the 3rd party business formula, as the former has a higher return on profit in a shorter amount of time than an all-new exclusive mold, and FunPub needs larger profit margins in order to have money with which to pay for producing more exclusives and all the things involving Botcon, as venues and guest voice actors are NOT cheap.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, the safety standards thing has no bearing on this really, cause I am not talking about the type of figure made. I am talking about making any figure, so it could be made safe.

Hasbro should also be able to use the mold, by paying TFCC money for it. Same as it does with TT.

As for your last argument, that one makes sense. TFCC is not really for collectors, it is really to make as big of a profit as possible and giving as little as possible to the consumer.

I am just asking in a perfect world scenario, where we had a real Collectors Club that did want to give us more then the basics. Would it be possible. I cannot think of many reasons why it wouldn't.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Above all else, I think profit is a deciding factor. I'm absolutely assuming here, but I'd guess a company like FansProject hasn't quite started paying out salaries. I'm wondering if creating an entirely new mold by TFCC would cut into profits too much.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think that is it. They just want to maxamize profits.

Would be awesome if the people who ran collector's clubs were fans themselves and were able to do bigger and better things.

Maybe next Collectors Club we get.

I guess we should be thankful for the 3rd Party companies out there. Good alternative at least.

15. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I don't think that's quite a fair interpretation of the post you quoted. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess TFCC is probably a larger operation than FP, especially considering that in addition to designing (decos/retoolings for) and producing exclusive toys every year, they also produce a magazine and organize BotCon. So they probably have more employees, and a more formal management structure that dictates more salaries at higher rates. As a result of this, they need to spend less money on producing figures to sell at the same price point as, say, FP so that they can pay all their employees.

It's less a matter of "evil corporation is motivated by maximizing profits by short-changing the consumer" and more a matter of "company is selling a figure in such a way that they can continue to pay their employees so said employees don't quit and find another job where they're actually paid for their hard work".

</serious><silly>Of course, this is mostly conjecture on my part. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that TFCC's payroll consists entirely of Cobra Commander, Skeletor, and Ebenezer Scrooge.</silly>

16. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

they pretty much have to use hasbro/takara's contracted factories because has/tak had to make sure the factories meet safety/employement requirements not only in china but also agreeable to their domestic customers, can you imagine the public backlash if some media found out tfcc under license from hasbro used sweatshops with no safety precautions and even shittier pays to make that exclusive toy. 3rd party makers don't have that problem because they have no stock holders, and nobody outside the tf community know about them and no multi-million brand to protect.

17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Overrun and Runabout were pretty original figures to me.

18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I don't really get your first point. Safety standards don't have a bearing because they could make any kind of toy? The only way they could really ensure that safety standards aren't an issue is if their new-mold figures are pretty much unposable lumps of plastic.

The second point... makes this all the more pointless. Why would TFCC make their own molds, which Hasbro will just use later? It would essentially be doubling up on a second R&D department, designers, everything. To the same end.

Now, it does give me an idea... maybe TFCC could get figures sooner. If TFCC was well run, they could offer collectors first crack of figures, a sort of sneak peak. Or maybe prepaints, if they're feeling saucy. But I think a lot of collectors would happily pay a $20 or so premium to get a figure a few months early.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I hear you, but I have dealt with TFCC just this one year, and they don't seem like some well oiled machine.

They just seem like a small mom and pop shop that maxamize profits.

You obviously haven't seen the articles that were released during christmas that showed that the conditions are actually the same if not worse then sweat shops in the Hasbro Transformers factories.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also keep in mind that we don't know how much FunPub has to pay Hasbro for the Transformers license.