Heavy/Scratch: RiD Voyager Optimus Prime WIP by Zebu

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by godzebu, May 29, 2012.

1. godzebu

godzebu Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Howdy folks,

Well here it is!! Continuing my “install LED to Rid figures” quest, I present to you, Optimus Prime!

Much like my RiD Voyager Bulkhead, I wanted to make fully transformable RiD Voyager OP figure with LEDs

WIP Part 1

Installed are 5 LEDs with two of them with dual purpose (serve as the headlights in the vehicle and chest lights in the robot mode)!! These are connected by a dual switch (one turns on the headlights, and another turns on the head & bumper lights).

Does it transform? OF COURSE YES!!!!!! :) 

Here are the break down of phases:

Phase 1: Initial design study and planning = 5-6 hours. During this phase, I transform the figure numerous times and scope out potential locations for LEDs, the battery, and the switch.

Phase 2: Circuit design and bench testing = 5-6 hours. This is where I make the mock, yet functional, circuit to test the wiring and how they may be folded to be able to transform. I also test the resistor location to tryout the light intensities.

Phase 3: Execution = 5 hours.

This time, I’ve also uploaded somewhat detailed instructional videos to my youtube account so feel free to check them out for the more details on planning and execution of this work.

RiD Voyager Optimus LED Installation Part 1
    RiD Voyager Optimus LED Installation Part 2
    RiD Voyager Optimus LED Installation Part 3

Thanks for reading and please stand by for more WIPs.

Zebu :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 I'm a schoolgirl on the inside. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i like it! you stay true! its not a transformer if it dosen't transform

3. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice work! Perfect additions.

4. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

Nice job! :D 

but what really caught my eye here was where you shot it. That background looks flippin sweet :D 

5. SonWukong

SonWukong Active Member

I would have accepted this as a "powerizer" gimick over that dumbass piece of shit gun it comes with any day. Awesome work man and great video tutorials. :D 

6. godzebu

Ebay:
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Thanks, the background is my Autobot hangar I made about an year ago. Here is the link for WIP. Enoy :) 
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/444498-autobot-hangar-zebu-wip.html

Thanks, that's what makes the customization fun. Turning shitty figures into awesome ones :) 

7. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    At first, I tiredly thought "I don't see anything new..."
    And then I payed attention and thought "HOLY GOD!!!"

8. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

VERY nice work! That's an awful lot of LEDs for one fig! I'm just doing the head and windshield, and I thought it was a lot to do...heh!
    Gotta love the tfprime molds, though; lots of empty spaces to put batteries into!
    Are you doing any more work on your Bulkhead? Loved that one too, just needs a LED in his noggin! And are you doing any similar work with the deluxe scale molds?
    Keep up the great work!

9. godzebu

Ebay:
    I'll take that as a compliment. I tried to make the customization look as natural and possible.

Thanks,

Yes I am going to do more work on the RiD Bulkhead, installing a set of taillight will be very easy but the head will be an issue as it appears that the ball joint for that figure is attached to the head (not on the body like OP here). That will create an issue for sure......I'm just doing a whole lot of planning these days.

And also YES, I plan to work on deluxe class TP RiD Wheeljack and Ratchet. They will look great with some LEDs :) 

10. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Yeah, the big empty crotch/hip section of the Ratchet mold is just begging for wires and a switch...wait, that sounds kinda weird...