Minor/Repaint: RID Strongarm Screen Accurate Repaint (Takara Edition)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DrOblivian, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor JaAmS

While I wait for all the bits and bobs I need for my full blown custom Nautica, I thought I would hone my painting skills a little with something smaller.

The goal is to take this,
    Strongarm 3.jpg

and get as close to this, with as little work as possible.
    strongarm 2.jpg Strongarm 1.png

Hence why I've chosen the Takara Strongarm as a starting point. It's got a darker blue color plastic I don't need to paint over and a lot of smaller details already done for me (like the chest and hood), saves me some time and headache getting all of those small white lines just right.

Speaking of which check out what's under the dumb sticker!
    strongarm 4.jpg
    Thank Primus, I thought I was gonna have to paint it all myself, but nope! Just gonna need a single small line to make it match the other side after I'm done with it. (cant do anything about the dumb circular indent though...)

Gona start on this in ernest tomorrow (I say at 2am in the morning...) stay tuned bitches.

• Like Like x 10
  2. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Member

Happy hunting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Wow. I cant believe that old screen capture of Strongarm is still in use.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrOblivian

lol it was the best pic i could find that showed off the vehicle mode well, that and i didnt wanna upload like 6 different pictures of the same thing

5. DrOblivian

got side tracked, painted slash gold and Beachcombers hand.
    gold slash.jpg gold beachcomber.jpg
    fuck you this is my thread i'll post what i want. LOL

All seriousness though. We got hit hard with a blizzard here on the east coast (clearing snow took up most of my day) and i didnt have the paints to do a substantial chunk of what i wanted to and snow made going to Michael's to get the paints i wanted impossible, also what i have done on Strongarm isn't all that much to show off yet.

and if you couldn't tell by the background of these two pics, i may or may not be experimenting with a cheap-o single action airbrush

• Like Like x 1
  6. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Nice work there. Good luck with the snow, I'm north of you in NY. Not so much snow, but we got the frigid temps. Good luck with the airbrush, I had a double action Badger for years before I gummed it up trying to run acrylics. With a little practice, you'll get great results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    What paints/equipment are you using? I'm looking into alternatives for my stuff since I've been out of the game for over a year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DrOblivian

yeah im in south jersey about 10 min inland from atlantic city, we got like a foot and a half here. thank friggin god though it was cold enough, show was loose and powdery. lol all we used was a broom and a leaf blower and that got the worst of it

right now i've just got that Cheap-o testors one that hooks to a aerosol can. wanted to see how an airbrush felt and worked before i dropped real money into a "proper" one that i may never use, and for $14 honestly it's a great little tool for what is and because of the way it works so long as its a liquid i can spray whatever the hell i want and not worry about it ever really getting gummed up. i've actually been testing it WITH acrylic paints, lol friggin apple barrel brand too, and this thing sprays great.

9. DrOblivian

easy spay.jpg
    Testors Easy Snap and Spray. Got it at Michael's for 14 bucks (using a 40% off coupon, was like $21 which is still cheap) and as i said above i've just been using watered down apple barrel acrylics i got at walmart. works pretty well.

Careful though to get a handle on it before you go using any kind of expensive paints in it. IT EATS PAINT FOR BREAKFAST. It's actually REALLY good for the cheap acrylics though, you can get a lot of paint for cheap and clean up is easy as hell seeing as how the paint doesn't actually even go through the brush itself. haven't tried it with anything else yet though because i don't wanna waste my better paints. But they way it's designed, it will spray anything with little issue so long as its the right consistency.

it only has ONE setting and because of that i'm not using this for Strongarm at all, doing her by hand entirely with testors enamels because they are the easiest paints fro me to get a hold.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 Humbled by /r/AcceleRacers' support.

News Credits:
    You're shy of a few details that would make Beachcomber nobody's doormat
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best of luck on this one - Strongarm is sadly under-represented in the toyline (aside from the minicon set I could NEVER find).
    You might have some luck filling in her chest crater with a small circle cut from a thin plastic sign from Wal-mart (normally run around a dollar) & then you could fill in the edges using the seam filling trick pioneered by JinSaotome (I know he's an off-limits convo, but the trick works)

• Like Like x 1
  12. DrOblivian

yeah i've been thinking about that, but i don't know if i wanna bother, doing that would cover up the chest details that are already there and then i would have to do paint them all again myself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. warhawk

I started out with the aerosol can set up. When I started, back in the mid 90s, the aerosol cans worked best when kept warm, as the aerosol could get really cold. I immersed mine in a pot of warm water, but because it floated, had to weight it down. Don't know if aerosol can tech is any different today, but this may help for longer sray jobs down the road. Or, invest in a small compressor.

14. DrOblivian

yeah i know about this, i've done my research on this pretty extensively. i hate spending money unless i know EXACTLY what i'm getting.

15. DrOblivian

WELL this just turned into a much bigger thing than i thought it was gonna... so don't expect any real updates anytime soon... might even go on a back burner now...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

So out of the loop, who is this guy and why do we not want to converse?

17. DrOblivian

what?

18. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

JinSaotome. I assumed convo meant converse

19. DrOblivian

gaah goddamn dyslexia, i read everything wrong entirely to begin with. lol ur comment make sense to me now.

i know who he is, but not why he's off limits...? just as confused as you.

20. warhawk

Attaboy. You have the benefit of the internet, where as I had to do some learning trial and error. Best of luck with the airbrush, I've really enjoyed your work so far.