Minor/Repaint: RID Scourge finally attains enlightenment!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

A long time ago, someone traded me a Scourge, with a little scuffing and some peeling stickers, missing his handgun, trailer; pretty much everything except for his slightly warped red sword and the clothes on his back. And so he made his way in my collection, intimidating the other, smaller bots and lamenting his lack of ankles. He's every bit as cool as people say, except for one nagging drawback...

[​IMG]
    It's cherry flavored.

Eventually I got tired of looking at his poor transparent sword, unlit like the ones on Laser Prime and Magnus. Surely if any of the three was deserving of an intimidating red glow, it was he! So that's what I set out to remedy.

[​IMG]
    Photography 101.

I basically undid all the modifications they made to the mold when they removed the electronics -- I re-carved (and improved) the wiring channels in each arm, rebuilt the battery compartment and the pushbutton mechanism on top of the cab, and replaced all of the missing electronics from scratch.

[​IMG]
    This...is my GLOWSTICK

I kinda wish I owned a laser OP so I could have seen how it was intended to go, but since I took my time (at least 20 hours on this project!) and carefully planned out how it was all going to work, then testfit all of my parts and electronics obsessively beforehand, it all worked out pretty well. It was almost like a fun little puzzle, figuring out how Hasbro originally designed it to work, and then reverse-engineering it and making it better.

[​IMG]
    A one-bot rave machine.

I used much brighter LEDs than I probably needed to, but I wanted his accessories (Well, accessory) to shine super bright. On top of the LEDs, I also added foil 'reflecting' panels to help direct and channel more of the light into the fist hole.

[​IMG]
    No more spooky stories, it's time for bed.

Did you notice anything strange about the above photo? Look again.

[​IMG]
    Glow Glow Gadget.

Still didn't get it? Here's a hint...since when is Scourge a southpaw?

[​IMG]
    Look ma -- no hands.

Yes, that's right. I figured that while I was at it, I'd make a little improvement to the lighting mechanism, so I stuck an LED in BOTH hands. But with one small difference: There's a tiny little switch hidden in the gap under the fuel drum on his left arm. It's so small, that you either need a long fingernail or the edge of the sword hilt to flip it, but when it is turned on, that arm glows regardless of the button on the back of the figure. The switch itself is black and all but invisible unless you're really looking for it.

I chose to implement the left fist light in this way, because I reasoned that at some point I might like to have him wielding his laser sword in one hand, while firing off momentary bursts from the lightpiped laser gun he is supposed to have but I don't yet own. The right fist and headlights light up with the button, the left fist only toggles on and off.

[​IMG]
    Nothing to see here. But that's sort of the point.

And yes, I didn't forget the headlights... though bright red headlights don't make a lot of sense in reality, I guess when the windshield is already red and the truck turns into a giant robot, suspension of disbelief has already taken the day off.

[​IMG]
    Not the same as infrared, sorry guy.

The stickers were kinda poor to begin with, but now they're in even worse shape after having been peeled off (with the help of goo-gone) and reapplied, so I really wish Reprolabels would start selling a RID Scourge set...it would be as simple as a quick hue modification of the existing laser prime set! In the meantime, I'm going to be on the lookout for some red foil stickers I can use instead, since I think that would look pretty cool in place of the original, somewhat dull, windows.

Anyways, there it is. This was a rather time consuming project, but it turned out spectacular and I learned a lot about wiring up complex joints from it.

Attached Files:

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Great job, interesting project, nicely done. Here's hoping you sort out the missing accessories, perhaps some of the friendly types on these boards have stuff for sale or trade.

IIRC, i think you can commission custom sticker sets from Reprolabels, but I'm sure that man Delta Star can confirm or deny that.

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

wow, thats really impressive, nicely done

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine needs batteries now. I did this to my Scourge nearly 5 years ago with a spare Laser Optimus Prime.

This thread clearly illustrates that Scourge should have had the electronics.

5. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome....just awesome!

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    you took my idea :p  jk ive been wanting to do this for awhile now I just need to get the innerds to Laser Prime any way you can post pics of his insides to show what you changed?

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Tutorial please. I don't have mine anymore :(  but I remember looking at it, and some parts of the torso weren't easy to figure out how to get the darn thing apart, plus I know a LOT of people want to do this themselves besides just me.:) 

8. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Gorillabot

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Awesome work. I remember back when I got the Japanese version, I was pretty pissed they removed the lights (I'm pretty sure on the box it showed he still had them).

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks awesome!

10. ShadowStitch

Well, it was a fairly complicated rebuild, using a lot of choice random bits I just happened to have laying around my electronics workbench, so I'm not sure I could point people to specific parts and say "You can get this at Radio Shack" or anything.

Plus I really don't want to take him apart again, as 6 of the screws are hidden behind his stickers and there's no way to open him without peeling them back... the stickers on mine are in poor enough shape already that I'm not sure they could stand another round of being peeled off. If I ever get some reprolabels for him, I might consider tearing him open again for photos because at that point the stickers would be moot.

Though now that I've done it once and know what I'm doing, I'd consider performing this mod again somehow. So I'll tell ya what: If I ever get lucky and score a nice, decent, complete Scourge, I'll do it again and try to actually make up a parts list, while taking pictures of the process. It's not the "doing" that's hard so much as it was the "figuring out how to make it work without a laser prime for comparison."

11. landmind666

landmind666 Active Member

hey u should do a tutorial of what u did cause i know i'd like to do this to mine and have ever sense i bought mine from toysrus. and with the help of youtube i know that there was some light in atleast two of those shoulder thingies that look kinda like launchers. PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME PLEASE HOW AND WHAT U DID. then all my "nemesis prime would need is some reprolabes made( maybe if requested they would make some, lets face it the decepticon symbles suck and need to be redone.) he be complete.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    If there is an "easy way", I did mine the easy way. I had an extra G2 Laser Prime that I gutted the electronics only from. I noted how they fit inside Prime, and simply disassembled both Scourge and Prime and made the transfer.

The difficulty resides in the fact that it's harder than it sounds because the mold is a PAIN to disassemble due to pins and very little room for the wires. It's very tedious. The electronics really only fit a certain way.

As far as tutorials [for what I did] are concerned, the first small paragraph beginning this post is it. All a photo (or video) tutorial would be doing is showing a disassembled toy.

13. landmind666

well if had oprimus i cant say that i'd gut him to make another work. but i think if i could get reprolables to make some stickers to replace and upgrade the ones on him right now i might try to figure out the guts or at least raid radio shack. thu talking about this nemesis has got me thinking rtof prime needs a nemesis and shattered glass version of him. maybe even a magnes for the hell of it, that is if i can afford so many leader primes. nemesis id use my rid scourge for colors id use

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    One of the things I did when I disassembled my RiD Scourge is that I only flapped back the labels just enough so I could disassemble it. I did not remove them fully because I wanted to keep them intact. Despite all of this, I'd love a reprolabels set :) 

15. ShadowStitch

I've asked the guys at reprolabels to do this multiple times -- they already have the Laser OP stickers, so they wouldn't have to change the die cut or anything! Just tweak the colors on their label template...swap the autobot symbol for a decepticon one...and voila. Easy sales. I even offered to do it for them, but they pretty much told me to go sit on my thumb and spin. :redface2: 

16. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Cool job. Wish I could do the same with mine........

17. scourge88

scourge88 Well-Known Member

Good job.

18. landmind666

well i would add two more things to that reprolabe my shelf and that is two better decepticon stickers for scourges doors. scourge88 like the pic die convoy die long live nemesis lol