RID S2EP11 "Outstanding" - Episode Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by DJsFromCtron, Apr 9, 2016.

1. autobot1024

autobot1024 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so by any chance does anyone know when this episode will be up?

2. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Don't know

3. autobot1024

News Credits:
    well i was asking everyone not just you lol

4. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
  5. autobot1024

News Credits:
    thanks dude :) 

6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks again

7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it was a pretty good episode

the "stealth team" or away team are going home

8. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the rip Walrus! Hope next week you'll be able to rip the season finale.

9. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Should be fine my dvr is set to record every episode at the moment even repeats and Cartoon network +1 episodes to make sure.

10. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so, the episode was pretty good. has some good scenes and moments for each autobot. and i found the minicons linking with sideswipe to be really cool. i also like how stockade is described as being part of the original decepticon faction rather than the criminal label. though it was stated that he attempted a coup, i wish he had name dropped megatron at some point to make the connetion. also, this and recent episodes of season 2 show why fixit said there were a couple hundred prisoners on the ship; there were a crap load of cyclone minicons on board, just look at how many stockade himself had command of. i see4 a bit why people didnt like the status quo being returned at the end when the minicons want to be students again, but at least it adressed how dumb it was by sidswipe. overall, i would give it a 3 1/2 out of 5.

11. quadropl

quadropl Scientist of Cybertron

News Credits:
    .. Is it just me, or was Stockade... Gregg Berger?

12. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Stockade does sounds like G1 Grimlock

13. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Alright just finished watching the episode, so here's my review.

So I was surprised and happy to see that in this episode with Team OP we didn't get a new recolor skin for them. I mean don't get me wrong, the idea was interesting but it nice to see that they weren't stuck with the whole "got to push repaint advertisements." this time.

So Optimus is finally back to full strength and man does it show in this episode. It was great to see him fighting and man seeing him slice apart those two guns was epic also. But another part is that I like that despite being back at full strength, Optimus still has the tactful side of him that he had to rely on in his previous episodes and helped Drift provide a distraction in order to buy themselves time.

I liked Sideswipe in this episode too since he was being pretty helpful and even offered advice to Jetstrom and Slipstream, much better than his strangely bitter and jerkish attitude toward Optimus at the beginning of the series. Speaking of his interaction with Optimus, it was great to see him commenting on how he noticed how Optimus was doing much better, especially after Optimus was able to break down the weakened door, prompting Sideswipe to comment with a smirk "Yep, you're definitely feeling better." I guess he had a lot to think about since it was established that it had been weeks since they went through the Groundbridge.

Now onto the Decepticon Stockade that had not one, not two, but an army of minicons. I found it interesting that it stated he was a War General and since we know that there hasn't been a war between the timespan of Prime and RID2015, that means he had to got his start in the Autobot and Decepticon war. And in this episode it did show that Stockade knows his war tactics so it made it believable when Fixit stated he was undefeated until his capture. As for his personality eh he doesn't really seem to have one besides stereotypical war general, so I don't find him interesting on that aspect. As for the minicons, they're pretty generic since there was an army of them but I did find it amusing how they're only capable of saying "Hup."

Now finally for Drift, Slipstream, and Jetstorm. It was nice to see they're interactions and how the two minicons didn't mean to intentionally get Drift hurt when they only wanted to prove their worth in battle. Only nitpick I have with this is that I felt that they already did theme in season 1. Also I have to say that seen with Drift after he blasted the gun and lifted his helm with his optics glowing was very cool. Though another nitpick I have is that while Drift acted hurt, I really didn't see any indication, I mean they could have at least put scorch marks.

I mean take for example for a moment in Star Wars Rebels "Twilight of the Apprentice" (Warning major spoilers for the Season 2 Finale)

When Kanan was blinded by Maul, while it never shows what kind of damage the lightsaber done to his eyes, you do indeed get hints. Such as when he held his hand over his eyes you can see smoke coming from them and when he is blindly feeling around for his lightsaber and finds a temple guard mask, you can partially see black scorch marks on the side of his head around his eyes. Both giving subtle hints at what kind of damage Kanan received.

But it was nice to see how he felt that Jetstorm and Slipstream no longer needed to be his students but the two minicons chose to stay with him, much to Sideswipe's confusion. Also I did like how they aided Sideswipe in battle, meaning in the future they could possibly be used by other members of the team. We'll have to see what role they play in the two part Season 2 finale.

So with that said I give this episode 9.8/10, it was a great episode but it had a few hiccups here and there.

So that make's the scores so far...

Ep 1 - 7.5/10
    Ep 2 - 8/10
    Ep 3 - 8/10
    Ep 4 - 6.7/10
    Ep 5 - 8/10
    Ep 6 - 10/10
    Ep 7 - 9/10
    Ep 8 - 9.7/10
    Ep 9 - 7/10
    Ep 10 - 10/10
    Ep 11 - 9.8/10

Season 2 Average - 8.5/10 So Far

14. Slingshot

Slingshot Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who voiced Stockade? And no, I can't check the credits for the VA, because the credits are from Episode 1.

15. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    This episode was great! Too bad we didn't get to see Stockade's alt. mode.

16. Endgamelikespie

Endgamelikespie Well-Known Member

Well, they certainly raised the stakes in this episode. It felt like a battle right out of Prime. (Complete with the nameless fodder dropping like flies.)

Was this the first time Grimlock and Drift interacted with each other? I can't recall the two having any previous interactions.

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be an armadillo.

17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

WOW. That was another really enjoyable episode.

The story in this episode was incredibly simple, but I'm glad. I'd rather not see another episode focused around a bog-standard delivery of a cliched moral lesson. This episode was primarily action, with the moral lesson taking a back seat, and that made it more enjoyable than the majority of episodes.

Like the last one, this saw the return of something from TFP. Namely, an army of generics, and like last episode's TFP element, it was handled much better than it was in 90% of TFP, this time simply because their numbers actually meant something. Sure, they weren't that effective, but this is excusable due to the army being composed of Minicons (which I now have the sudden urge to army build) and they were still more effective than TFP's Vehicons, who'd usually be beaten with ease, and without the need for tactics.

I really enjoyed Stockade. It's great to see a more tactical villain turn up in this show for once, and he's primarily responsible for the relative effectiveness of the generic army. I really liked him, and hope to see a Warrior figure of him turn up before the line's end.

I also liked the atmosphere in this episode. It's great having an episode set at night, and the fights felt relatively intense, with the Autobots boxed in and surrounded. This season has had much greater variety when it comes to atmosphere, and has been better at using it's environments to enhance the atmosphere.

Overall, this was quite a good episode. I'm glad the Minicon army likely won't be returning any time soon. It was good once, but overuse of it would see this show falling victim to yet another of TFP's flaws. I'm also looking forwards to how things will go with the Autobots reuniting.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hero's personal turmoil for the episode. Thinking back, it might not have been as minor as I recalled, but the action and atmosphere simply distracted me. It was alright. Slipstream and Jetstorm acted stupidly, and I'm glad they were quick to realize this, and didn't hesitate to tell Drift what they had done.

18. BlitzBugz

BlitzBugz Member

Did anyone notice that the mini-cons were Major Mayhems? Other than the 1st and 2nd wave of the Mini-cons in the RID toyline, he was the only decepticon mini-con who didnt turn into a weapon, that we hadnt seen yet. Im glad we finally saw him in an episode. And yes, the fact that we saw about 40-80 mini-cons is really great, as it fills out the alchemor's prisoner list. If anyone wants to go back and count them all, please be my guest! :)  But otherwise i pretty decent ep. Also, i agree with endgamelikespie, i think Stockade is supposed to resemble an armadillo. He most likely turns into some kind of military truck.

19. BlitzBugz

BlitzBugz Member

Another thing is that the Yellow Dude also kinda has a figure. In the transformers Adventure line there is a figure called "Volcano". He comes in a two pack with Gridlock. Although he is an autobot, he woulkd be the perfect stand in for the character in the show!

20. Nis Randers

Nis Randers Ich bin ein Gänseblümchen

News Credits:
    I just loved that episode and how Slipstream and Jetstorm got some spotlight. A verry good episode and now I can't wait for the two episode next weekend!

I just wished we could have a scene where Sides and Strongarm meet again since they both kinda missed each other...