RID S01E01-02 Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by TCJJ, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

One thing I don't like about this being the same world/continuity as Prime, it means that Earth is Unicron. :eek: 

That just continues to be disturbing.

2. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

How I so wish that Cartoon Network just post episodes on their site.

3. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Are they actually just repeating the same episode next week?

Going by the comments in this thread, it looks like Cartoon Network are once again setting out to kill off another show.

4. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I really liked that about Prime actually, it gives the Earth a much more meaningful connection to Cybertron than just being the one planet that has lots of Energon for no reason. Since Cybertron is the transformed form of Primus in the aligned continuity, Cybertron and Earth are basically brothers.

And since humans are humans, I could totally imagine we all grew up on a sleeping giant of terror and destruction.

It also goes well with older shows like Beast Wars II were the future Earth has been uninhabitable do to Unicron's energy that tainted the universe, this could actually happen here as well since in this continuity the Earth is Unicron himself.

@Topic: Watched the first two episodes, I like it so far. Never had any real problems with the animation to begin with, so that wasn’t a problem for me, but I was doubtful about the characters. But so far they aren’t bad: Bumblebee shapes up to be a good leader (the messed up catchphrase was pretty funny), Strongarm is a nice mix of Prowl and Ironhide with a funny attitude, Sideswipe is just a rebel but the connection between him and the boy could be interesting, Fixit is funny but I could see him getting really annoying later on. Grimlock's my favorite though, I love how they incorporated the whole "Dinobots have simple brains"-thing without making him a complete caveman. And as a fan of the Teen Titans-show, Khary Payton as Grimlock's VA is just a complete home-run for me, he does the voice really well.

I'm starting to ignore how Grimlock is nothing like FoC-Grimlock, despite them being the same character, but it would be nice to get a little explanation for this and the fact that he was on the prison ship, labeled as a Decepticon. But I don't expect they do it, since technically Bumblebee met Grimlock after they arrived back on Cybertron at the end of Prime and should he remember him. Dinobots aren't that common.

Oh well, maybe it's something like he was still not fully recovered after breaking out of Shockwave's lab and only later regained some of his personality. Shockwave is alive at the end of Prime, right? Well maybe he comes back and we get some explanation out of this.

And I actually enjoyed Underbite quite a bit too, they gave him some character that I didn’t expect at all, I thought he would be a rampaging monster that doesn’t even talk. That was a very pleasant surprise.

5. rgeezzy

rgeezzy Well-Known Member

too much empty dialogue, tough to watch

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Decided to let the weekend pass before I posted my thoughts on the opening two episodes. In a nutshell, I really think this show is worth watching.

- I commented to myself many times this show already has the feel of a mashup between Robots In Disguise (the 2001 version), Animated, Rescue Bots, and Prime. It all seemed to come together and mostly work, I think that's really promising.

- The characterization was really good. It was taken down to a level that my 5 year old can understand, but it also left the door WIDE open for exploration; the best of both worlds.

- Animation was good. I've read a few complaints about this, I can understand them, but I enjoyed this style as it fit well with what the show's creators are aiming for I think.

If anyone reading this particular forum and hasn't jumped on this show yet, I'd recommend it. I don't have the same feelings as I did with Prime (which were initially good turned bad) or Animated (which was initially bad turned great), but I do feel like the show is worthwhile.

7. TFchronos

TFchronos Warrior of Cybertron

YouTube (Legacy):
    I checked it out late last night. Like Animated I was prepared not to like it and I'm still not fully sold on it. But it wasn't really that bad, a few story issues but it's only been two episodes so far so it deserves a little more time to explain itself. I still don't care much for the Cel shade style of animation they're using. Should have went full 2D or stayed full 3D in my opinion or at the very least add a wireframe around the models to give them pencil lines. I feel too much of the models are being lost due to the Cel shaders.

As for being a sequel to Prime. Different designs, different tone so I consider it it's own show in it's own universe with story elements from Prime (and previous series). I went into watching Prime the same way, not considering it tied to wfc.

I'll definitely be watching a few more episodes and give it a fair chance.

8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for making my point. the toys are the ads. they go hand in hand in fact transformers have always been that way. toon is ads for the toys and toys are ads for the toon. there's even the mobile game aspect of this. you dont think there's some giant sign in the toy aisles do you? i wasn't being literal about that....

9. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Voila. There's only one up now, but they'll add more.

That seems silly. So to you, this Bumblebee is a completely separate one who happens to remember events that are LIKE Prime but separate? It's even more complicated than the existing multiverse stuff that way, it's much simpler to just take the series at face value.

10. OMEGA PRIME12

OMEGA PRIME12 Sentianl Order Leader

so you literally gave no new points. my argument is the fact that they did not advertise the show as much as they should have. other new shows have been advertised long before their release. then you switch the argument to one about toys being advertisements. it is obvious that toys are advertisements and products for the overall franchise. is it an ad for a show? not necessarily. do you take your kids to the toy store on a daily basis? no. kids don't always read packaging so how will then know it is for an upcoming tv show? (they already proved this by shipping certain toys in robot mode) that is what tv ads are for. they are to market the show and the toys. next time try not to switch the argument to something else.

11. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watched the show with my 6 year old son and my 4 year old daughter...and we loved it. They were begging for RID toys when it was over. I ordered them some legends...for now...

can't wait to see the next episode

12. TFcustoms91

TFcustoms91 Well-Known Member

Robots In Disguise was ok the animation could be better not sure if i like the characters or the story line the green Dinobot should have gotten a different name the character is nothing like Grimlock i don't consider RID as a sequel to TF Prime or in the same universe.

I guess this new TF cartoon show is worth watching but it is no where near as good as TF Prime and the 2001 Robots In Disguise cartoon show.

There needs to be a Transformers cartoon show that is based on the Autobots home plaint Cybertron instead of going to Earth it is getting old.

13. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my argument was toys were always the ads..i didn't switch it at all. next time to assume i'm doing something when i never did. i started it out saying the toys were the ads. that's my initial point.

this is the first episode of a new series. they advertised it on tv that week and all that day. it's not one of their big shows like teen titans or whatever the hell gumball is so they dont advertise it that much. let the show pick up some steam. or maybe the conspiracy theorists are right and CN is just setting this show up to fail. either way we're getting at least 23 episodes out of this.

14. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

Beast machines

15. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Exactly-- and we all know how that went. (for the record, I liked Beast Machines, but I know a lot of others folks didn't, and I can see why the negative reception may have put Hasbro off the idea of future "All Cybertron, all the time" shows)

Also, I saw the Japanese dub of the first episode a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I speak so little Japanese that it might as well have been in Martian. D: It's obviously too early for a subbed version to exist, so I wasn't able to tell what kind of dialogue changes there were, but people tell me that there's still a lot of adlibbing a la Prime/Beast Wars. Plus I noticed Sideswipe was a lot chattier-- the first scene of him doing a donut in front of the Optimus statue had a bunch of extra dialogue that wasn't originally there.

Underbite was good, though-- he actually managed to make "Itadakimasu!" sound menacing, haha (assuming I heard that right).

16. abates

abates Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earth hasn't really been Unicron since Predacons Rising. I mean, technically it's still his dead body, but Unicron ain't home.

17. OMEGA PRIME12

OMEGA PRIME12 Sentianl Order Leader

its a new show that isnt one of their big shows? please, i only imagined the release of animated, which would still help the demographic for TFRID. First off Teen titans go was not completely riding on its previous fame (unless you are a late teen or adult who likes the show, which is almost no one). the original teen titans ended in 2006, the new one started in 2013. the whole previous fame is irreverent because the original fans were not of the target age demographic (more than a 6 year difference) and besides that every other show premier on CN that is still airing had more views than the TTG premier (yes even uncle grandpa and gumball). on top of that they advertised the release of the show even when young justice was just starting out.

transformers animated started a year after the end of teen titans, boosted the number of viewers not only in its time slot but for other shows in entire line up in its schedule block. In the end, from all that i have stated before, all of the previously stated shows got ad support weeks and sometimes months before their release (Which was the initial comment that compelled you to post). TFRID (new) got a week's worth. Which is all i said at first.

Your point about the toys being ads for the show is not accurate as i have said before. it helps advertise the overall franchise, the show is the real and obviously better ad for the specific toy series (RID).
    the RID toys do not directly help the show's release for the targeted demographic, they help the overall all name of transformers, the series premier advertising done specifically by the RID toys is a small bonus (and like you said before kids have short attention spans so only a few kids would actually see the connection to the show unless they saw the show first). The show and commercials is the main media to move the toys. last time i recalled, a kid doesn't ask for ROTF bumblebee because he saw the toy, no, the kid saw bumblebee in the movie and the direct media ads for the movie and toys. that is why im pretty sure bumblebee sold better than Breakaway.

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

I still reserve the right to consider this Grimlock a Decepticon thug who took the name of the legendary Dinobot. Until he either states that he's one & the same or the two appear at the same time.

Remember, in the other RiD there was another Grimlock too. (Also green)

I wonder if the Rescuebots are around?

It would be interesting if Rafe AND Cody made a cameo. Perhaps as part of this show's EDC?

19. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This was a fun show. Strongarm is adorable. When does episode 3 come on?

20. Dean domino

Dean domino Well-Known Member

Completely aimed towards kids , my children thought it was cool but I could barley stomach it , and no Optimus as a main character , I was never a fan of bumbble bee , I just hope hasbro releases the Kreo rid sera in the states