RiD/PRiD rant (WHY?!??!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I am fed up with this nonsense. The abbreviations have gotten out of hand. Most recently with the conflict of the 2001 and 2012 Transformers lines.

In 2001, we were blessed with Tony Bacala's personal favorite, Transformers:Robots In Disguise. This was the return of the earth based vehicle modes to the brand. Many of these figures still stand the test of time to this very day, even when compared to more contemporary figures such as those in the Classics or RotF lines. Specifically the Car Bros., or the Build Team. This series from its inception has been, and always will be known as "RiD".

Then comes 2012, the new line for Transformers: Prime hits shelves. And already we're plagued with not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different abbreviations contained within this one single, solitary brand. I speak of the abbreviations "TFP", "PRID", "FE", and "RID". The first one kinda goes without saying that it should be the abbreviation of the brand, Transformers Prime, "TFP", sounds simple right? Then we begin to see "FE". Alright, this is understandable, as the First Edition figures are limited run, and equate to say the 2007 Premium Series, or Allspark Power line. I can live with that. It differenciates it from the main line, which so far as I knew was simply "TFP".

It seems I was sorely mistaken, because then comes "PRID", dropping the "TF" from it altogether. I ask myself WHY?!??!!?!

(CROSSREFERENCE THIS VIDEO: Kenan and Kel - WHY!!!!!!!! - YouTube)​

Why is TFP not sufficient enough? What does it accomplish? When the 2007 line released Allspark Power and Premium Series, we didn't retroactively rename it "07:TOS" or something of that nature. I believe it should just be a given that unless you specify something as a "FE" in the Prime line, it should automatically be assumed to be from the main Prime release.

THEN COMES THE KICKER (no not HIM). The "P" is dropped altogether, and now we have people referring to this Prime series as simply "RID", or even worse, "RiD". As if this line's abbreviations weren't already confusing enough as-is, we are now forced to decipher between this and the 2001 series? REALLY? REALLY?

(CROSSREFERENCE: The Miz - Really?! - YouTube)​

As if eBay wasn't annoying enough as-is, this just made things so much worse. I kid you not, HERE'S PROOF!!!

Honestly, I for one am completely fed up with this rediculousness and utter nonsense. The fandom as a whole is usually better than this (not counting "Tits" for TITANIUMS). I don't generally ask for much, but can we maybe take a vote, and decide once and for all on a definitive abbreviation, please, and have it be one that makes practical sense?

Rant over, thanks for reading. I hope to see all of you at Slagacon 2012 next month!

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'mma keep using PRID.

3. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Meh...I just use Prime-RID most of the time.

4. SlaveToLogic

SlaveToLogic Logic > Megatron

It says Robots in Disguise on all the boxes, but it's not the original RID.

So P for Prime is added to distinguish it from the original RID.

And TFP is the name of the show, not the toy line.

5. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

looks like it's a toss up between TFP and PRID

a lot of today's TF fans don't or barely even know what RID was

6. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PRiD or just Prime for me. TFP just seems wrong like TFTM seems wrong too (why adding TF? Robots in Disguise is RiD, not TFRiD, Generation 1 is G1, not TFG1 and so on). Opinions I guess.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I find the terms pointless, but can't control people.

I only use either AM, CV, FE, or TFP to refer to a figure.

I don't get the RID part, Prime turns into a fire truck in the series, not a semi. RID had a blue kid favorite character that stalked red cars, not some yellow R2D2 sounding copy cat.

Oh SlaveToLogic, the boxes also list Transformers Prime on the top.
    [​IMG]

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    G1
    g2
    bw
    bm
    rid
    ut
    prid
    prick
    xyz
    pdq
    lmfao

And suddenly I am reminded of Good Morning Viet Nam:
    "If the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT because if we don't he could wind up a MIA and we'd all be put on KP.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm a big RID fan, it's what got me into Transformers. I'll NEVER use that....abomination of an abbreviation (not even to tell you that I'll never use it). I honestly don't see the need for it. When I talk about main-line figures, I use their size-class names, and when I talk about Cyberverse figures, I either use the term Cyberverse, or their size-class names. That is how I get around any potential confusion.

Also, and kinda off-topic, I'll never refer to that Wrecker gestalt being released next year as Ruination...and RID Scourge and Nemesis Prime are NOT the same character....

end of rant

10. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I use the abbreviation TFP to describe Transformers Prime.

11. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

You know what I'm sick and tired of?

People who insist on what a line should be called.

It doesn't matter what someone else calls it! If they get the point across, what the hell does it matter?

12. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Well, the FE series can't be confused with anything else and was a unique entity, and PRID to differentiate from RID.

As long as you know what the other poster is talking about you should be ok...

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, at least its not like yugioh where "Xyz" is a class of cards that're pronounced like ikzees, and that over a year later (I think its been that long anyway) still has people arguing over the name.

... but yeah, I'm gonna keep using PRiD too :) 

14. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    They annoy me too but there's nothing we can do about it.

CHUG. Yeah. Great name there.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CHUGURTS laughs at your problems.

16. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why do people keep referring to car robots as RID???

17. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tits was an awesome name, only a communist would think otherwise.

18. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Oh, don't be That Fan.

19. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loathe RiD as abreviation for the prime toys - I even started a thread on this very topic shortly after people started using it on the forums, but it was mocked and rediculed.

There are 2 problems in trying to get RiD (see what I did there?) of that abreviation.

1. Alot of the newer members that joined during the Bayformer craze were clueless as to this abreviation having been used before...now that they know, they don't want to change because that would mean they did something wrong - and that's just an option to the majority of them.

2. The "I do whatever I want with my toys" crowd - there are alot of people here who thinks that they should be able to do whatever they want with their own TFs, including giving them new names, counting TFs from one toyline into another and renaming the toylines into whatever they want to...and it's really not much you can say to these people...

You can't say that they are wrong, because they are entitled to doing all of the above and the right to do just that is something that is extremely highly valued by the community - much more so than for example free speech. (ie, you telling the person in question that it's friggin stupid)

Now...you seem like a clever person, OP so you and I know that if some (not all) use the same name for two different TF toylines it'd be just as confusing as if the same people decides that to them, the meaning of the number 3 will now have the same meaning as the number 7.

Only problem is that unlike the example about numbers, we can't call them out on it and tell them that it's silly and confusing...we can ask them to change, but why would they?

20. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Your freedom ends where someone else's begins.

The funny thing is somehow it's more wrong to be on the opposing side if you happen to disagree with them.