[RID] Gigatron: Influences to new Megatron designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lone Cat, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

I believe everyone here have already watched M Bay's Transformers movies. (but not sure if anyone here has also watched TF: Primes?)
    And witnessed that Megatron shown in those continuities has no earth mode! it seems to me that in those shows, he doesn't reconfigure himself as man-made machines/vehicles.

Same thing has happened before as i've viewed a few episodes of TF: RID/ Car Robots, you'll see that Gigatron (To make things clearer, I refer RID Megatron as Gigatron as he was named in Japan) has no earth modes (ok! he came from Beast era factions and not Gee Ones), nor having GUN/Cannon/ Tank modes, however he has six modes (and later ten, as Devil Gigatron). one of them is alien jet. similar to Bay's Megsy who NEVER reconfigures himself as earth vehicles (or he didn't have a chance to do so since he was frozen long ago and S7 got him as a lab thing i believe) but in 2007, he transforms into an alien jet.
    And the same goes to his anoter self in TF: Prime,

Did the designers modeled the two megatrons after RiD/Car Robots Gigatron?

2. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I don't think that ever crossed their mind,but your hypothesis is not entirely baseless. Alien-like Meg would seem a lot more evil than a Earth vehicle-like Meg

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doubt Bay's concept artists were inspired by RiD, they must've just looked at the G1 Megatron and went "OK, let's make it as cool and unique as we can before fans feel it doesn't look like Megatron" (your mileage may vary on how well they did). Meanwhile Derrick J. Wyatt tributed the movie for Animated Megs's Cybertronian form while he and High Moon stuck as much to G1 as possible for their Megatrons, while Prime's design amalgates G1 and Movie Megs.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Battlstars Super Megatron & Energon Megatron and Cybertron Megatron all had a flight mode so I guess there's just been a ongoing trend for Jet Megatron for those times when he's not a Tank or a Gun he's a Jet/Space ship.

5. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I'd say Megatron in Cybertron certainly has some Gigatron influences. That might have bled into ROTF Megs and his triple changing in the movie.

Personally I'm starting to like the idea of Megatron as a triple changer. What with a heavy ground pounding mode like a tank, and a flying jet mode, he gives a general image of total military dominance. Personally I think that sort of symbolism is important to a Megatron.

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He needs a water-based mode to complete the look. :D 
    While I think it'd be a nice tip of the hat to Gigatron-sama, I don't think anyone involved in designing Megatron for the movies looked any further than G1. I could be wrong.

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I don't think the CR/RId megatron/gigatron toy/art designs influenced the live action movies megatron movie/toy designs. because those Rid/CR designs are over 10 years old

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's some pretty. Faulty logic given that G1 is even older.

While I don't think CR/RiD was the inspiration and was directly, I don't think any incarnation following another is 100% COMPLETELY UNINSPIRED by any other.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Can you explain that line of thinking???

G1 was over 20 years old and it had its measure of influence the Bay films