RiD episodes edited after 9/11

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Foster, May 23, 2007.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    So I've dug out my old VHS tapes of RiD that I had recorded in 2001/2002 to rewatch the series. I know I was missing a few episodes so I consulted RIDforever.info for help. It's a great resource.

I learned that some of the episodes never aired in the US but did air in Canada and the UK. And some episodes were edited to tone down some of the destruction due to post-9/11 sensitivity. I watched "The Secret of the Ruins" online today, one of the episodes RIDforever says was edited.

Was this the same edited cut everyone in the english-speaking world saw, and that's in the UK boxset? Or did this episode and the others that were edited after their initial airing have an "uncut" version that aired outside the US? And if there are uncut versions, are they on the UK boxset? Which episodes were edited after 9/11?

2. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    From what I understand, the edits mentioned were done for all English dubs. I dont believe any aired, then were edited, and then re-aired. The episodes that were too close to 9/11 events and couldnt be edited in time or at all just never aired in the US.

RID first aired on the Saturday before 9/11, and were set to show new episodes daily during the week on Fox Kids afternoon block, with episode 7 showing on the following Saturday. Mid-Week, 9/11 happened, and they were in 24 hour news mode for some time, so they pulled X eps, re-edited, and put them back in the rotation when done.

Tho, I still dont have the UK boxset, so I havent been able to 100% compare the eps to US airings. Above is just my understanding of it all.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks Tony. It makes sense that episodes like the premiere, where Megatron flies right through a building in bat mode, were not reaired for some time. It doesn't seem feasible to have edited that episode. I saw a plot point in "Secret of the Ruins" that was hinted at in future episodes. Too bad some aired out of order/not at all or were edited.

I haven't found it yet, but I recall my VCR did tape 9/11 news coverage that was on the TF timeslot. Maybe I recorded over it, but it will be spooky if I find it.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've got my UK boxset here with 'Secret of the ruins' on it, what am I looking for during the episode?

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i hope someday they release this set as an unedited version....even though RID is my least favorite series, it'd just be nice....

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone would disagree that 9/11 was a tragedy. But not having the un-edited versions available in an attempt to forget or deny it happened seems silly. I guess it is supposed to be a kids show though.

7. bourdon

bourdon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they have never showed episode 22 ( Sky-bite save the day) in the u.s and episode 17 ( attack from outer space)

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the version of "Secret of the Ruins" I saw online was from the boxset as it didn't have the Fox Kids logo or commercial bumpers. So I don't think it would be helpful, and it would be against board rules, to post a link. Thanks Dirge121.

But it would make sense that since only the first two episodes aired pre-9/11, they are the most likely to have two English-dubbed versions. I'll compare the online copies with my videotape tonight, although I'm unsure if what I have are the premieres and not reruns.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The original version of "Secret of the Ruins" has unique opening scene animation that features building-destruction, and Dorrie Dutton referring to "terrorism." This was dubbed, but yoinked at the last minute post-9/11. The opening sequence was removed almost completely and replaced with some re-used footage from "Battle Protocol!" (compare the two eps, that shot of Megatron just hovering there is taking right outta it), and Dorrie's lines were re-recorded by T-Ai's voice actress, Sandy Fox, to remove that reference. This is the only version of the dub that's ever aired anywhere, and it's the version on the R2 box set.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I never noticed that, I'd see for myself but the dubs are just too painful.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    EDIT: Wrong thread.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Painfully awesome.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    More so than freaking Armada and Energon put together at any rate! Thanks for the info, Chris!