RID Episode 23 Discussion: The Buzz on Windblade

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Slingshot, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    He looked very dead in Prime, he is very much alive now thanks to Optimus and the Autobots. Unicron has been trapped forever now so it all works out now.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah I would have imagined that was the case.

3. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

Well, maybe not technically dead, but his outer shell (Cybertron) was and he was in no condition to speak to anyone a 1,000 years ago.

... unless the outer shell of Cybertron was still alive 1,000 years ago, but the series made it sound like that was not the case. That is had been dead for awhile and the fighting spread to other planets as result.

4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Okay, just watched, and was smh. A whole of lot build up for this ep, and let me down.

Windblade was a windbag, calling everybody 'slick' got old real fast and the attitude.... guess she really thinks she's Primus' gift to Earth. Yeah, sure. (at least she and Strongarm worked things out.... btw, Strongarm really did shine this episode, maybe that was the point) :D 

WB's design was good and the Autobots could've used a flier, but nope, one and done.

The Queen Bee was actually kinda funny, but not much competition for anybot really. Bring back the big bad cons please.

As the .jpg goes... I am disappoint.... in this ep.

Next week's ep description sounds like a repeat, but shows as NEW. Hope so.

5. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

I've mixed feelings on this one. Windblade is the reason. Her perfectness/Mary Sue-ness was the point of her role, as she was designed to make Strongarm insecure. But, I feel they did go overboard - 'Bee getting flustered around her and her instantly having a good battle cry on her 1st try really stick out. The more I think about her backstory the less sense it makes as well.

Strongarm was great though. It was cool that she recognised the similarities between the Alchemor prisoners and animals, and that she was trying to teach the others and used it to win in the end. Her tripping up Windblade when she was going to endanger the humans and standing up to her about it were awesome.

Sideswipe getting pissy about Strongarm's teaching session and going off to train was a great character moment. Interesting to note that, along with everything else, Strongarm seemed particularly jealous of Sidewipe's swooning around Windblade - love triangle in Season 2??

The Con was dumb. It's always a bad move when they just let the heroes go. This happens all the time, and usually can be justified due to tying in with a scheme or character flaw, but nope, here the villain was just being needlessly stupid.

6. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    U guys always like romance but it's not its brother and sister relationship

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Windblade's not superior to Strongarm.

As a product of writing Strongarm beats her on a more than one level. A much more original idea, and that's not only because her feminine traits ale less obvious.

Ask yourself a question - which one of these two is characterised more by her personality traits, and which by being a chick with personality traits coming afterwards.

So far I'd call Strongarm probably the smartest written femformer ever because she's just an overzealous anal-retentive Autotrooper cadet who only happends to be a female, but her gender is in no way her defining trait.

To me, this episode highlights why Strongarm is a very good character precisely by contrasting her with Windblade.

8. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    That is true though Windblade's whole gender deal came with the fan built.

most people voted for it and we reap what we sow.

9. acket

acket Well-Known Member

imo the worst thing about this ep was the girl vs girl, when there are so few of them to go around!

Not a problem only RID has, sure, and not a problem I would expect to be avoided by a lot of the same writers of TFP.

Here's hoping Windblade and Strongarm can be chill buds in season 2, and Hank can be besties with them both.

10. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I did feel Windblade was very generically The Girl One in this episode compared to her characterization in the IDW comic books.

To be honest I found it very off-putting how at least three of the Autobots (Fixit, Sideswipe, and IIRC Grimlock) were basically drooling over her. It did make Windblade feel very Mary-Sueish. Very disappointing because she's one of my favorites in IDW.

11. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I really think its hilarious how Mairghread Ann Scott who writes Windblade in the comics made her a mary-sue here.

:lol 

12. acket

acket Well-Known Member

I think the core plot being girl-vs-girl is part of the reason Windblade as a character came off unrealistic, since the story was supposed to be about Strongarm feeling unappreciated by her team, they bumped up Windblade being instantaneously popular, because women are always supposed to measure themselves antagonistically against other women. Or something.

EDIT: If you contrast The Buzz on Windblade with Can You Dig It?, Sideswipe didn't try to compete with the more popular, more competent newcomer (Jazz). He wanted Jazz to like him and think he was cool, and overcompensated only to be reassured by Jazz that it was okay to be himself. In the Windblade episode, Strongarm was sure that everyone liked Windblade more, to the point she thought Windblade and Sideswipe were laughing about her.

If the show had a more even ratio of robots it wouldn't be as much of an issue for me if two female characters spent the majority of their face time fighting, but they don't, so it is.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  13. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Yeah, there was very much a vibe of "you can't have two girls on a team or they'll FIGHT like jealous cats!" Urrrgh.

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Pretty much.

This episode is disappointing. I'm surprised it did not end with catfight just to have a full suite of tropes.

Would be better if, instead of trying to reinvent WB, writer kept her personality type from IDW books.

15. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    sad thing is that this is the first main series where we've had more than 1 fembot on the main cast team since Beast Machines.

The only thing i liked about this Windblade is that she's a cybertronian magical girl on a mission from Primus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    How much do you guys wanna bet that Zizza and Bee are secretly related?

As doe Windblade she's the most Magical girl mary sure I've ever seen, and I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sailor Windblade, lol.

18. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    That's not Madoka Kaname. XD

I hope in the Japanese dub they play up on this and get a magical girl veteran seiyuu like Kotono Mitsuishi or Nana Mizuki to voice Windblade.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    So did anyone else get a Ursala vibe from the Queen?

Windblade is best Mary Sue.

And best Sailor Scout.

20. inn

inn Member

Meh elita 1 will always be my fave wish she would show up again

• Like Like x 1