Richard Donner on TRANSFORMERS

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Aug 8, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Richard Donner Disses Transformers!

It's old news. But he doesn't seem to get it: the Transformers ARE the characters. It's about them, it always has been. They're not just aliens on Earth, they're characters whose interplay determines the fate of the Earth (especially in the third film with Sentinel Prime)

Besides, his SUPERMAN flick to some level inspired the first TFilm (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/trivia).

2. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Eh, from the look of him, he just needs a nap, is all.

Seriously, I love Donner's Superman dearly, but frankly I can't even see the point of why the story was even posted in the first place.

3. gokuz23

gokuz23 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, i think this guy is uh how do you say it? Mentally Challenged how can you compare Superman to TF there no way in hell remotely similar and he's sick of the "Machines" their Autonomes Robotics Organisms From The Planet Cybertron and who are the main characters in Transformers then? i thought it was the Transformers? huh i guess i watched a different series for the past 28 years

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That quote could be interpreted a few ways. Perhaps if Michael Bay's TFs were more characters in their own right (apart from a very select few), the opinion might be different.

... Or Donner just doesn't get it. Either way. :) 

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I say if you made one good film better than Bay's that it's okay to criticize the hell out of these movies.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    For those who don't want to read the entire article, I will quote the two phrases in that entire multi-paragraph article that have anything to do with Transformers.

Article Author: "Richard Donner disses Transformers! And why wouldn't he? Transformers goes against everything this guy has ever made."

Donner: "I'm tired of it already. I'm tired of those ... what are those machines? Transformers! Really, I mean they were great but let's settle back people and focus on the characters. The characters in Superman are just wonderful."

What he's essentially saying is "I personally didn't care for Michael Bay's Transformers characters, but you know what I do really like? My Superman movie. It's awesome. So are the characters. Seriously. Watch it." So, basically a passing comment on his thoughts regarding the live-action film's characters (which he is mostly correct on the matter) and then quickly switches to talk about how awesome his movie was. Which everyone is entitled to, be they random fan or famous Hollywood director. I'm not going to knock Donner for having an opinion. I'm not going to knock Donner for not liking what I like. I'm not going to knock Donner for pointing out something that is pretty much bang-on. I'll knock the author of the article for claiming that Transformers "goes against everything Donner has ever done", which is a ridiculous statement. :rolleyes:  But I won't hold it against Donner. If anything, he's not dissing Transformers, he's promoting his work while comparing it to several other sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters, of which Transformers and Wolverine just happen to fall into said category.

*Also, if the author thinks that Donner is dissing Transformers because he thinks that the Superman characters are better, does he completely ignore the "Really, I mean they were great..."-part that Donner said as well? There's about as much "praise" as there is "dissing" from Donner in that quote. That is to say 50/50.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    So is it the equivalent of someone dissing Mark Hamill? Because you don't see him as Joker?

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Hey, guys. I have this wild theory:

Maybe, just maybe, if Michael Bay had treated most of the transformers as sentient characters, Richard Donner could recognize them AS characters.

Again, it's just a crazy theory.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    But see, I think that's the thing though, it's so obvious. Yes, a large portion of people will criticize the characters in the films (for good reasons, most of the time). And many people acknowledge and accept this. Donner's making a simple statement, but it's pretty much a...

[​IMG]

... kind of thing. You mean you're saying that a movie with good characters has better characters than a movie with bad characters? It'd be like having Christian Bale say "The Schumacher Batman movies were very campy and silly in nature, while Chris tried to make his dark and realistic". Yeah, we know. We get it. That's pretty obvious. In other news, the ground tends to become wet when it rains.

The whole thing basically boils down to "Okay, so what? The Hollywood director has an opinion on another Hollywood movie. The big deal is...?"

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bravo.

11. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ehh I'm not even going to read it. Those types of people that do nothing but trash a movie annoy me.

12. JetPrime123123

JetPrime123123 Active Member

He's just grumpy and needs his vitamins.