RIAA - Ripping MP3s is illegal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motor_Master, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Well, this just makes me want to distribute thousands of burned cds for free. Fuck the music industry...if they want to battle with their customers then we should give them a war.

And thats just fucking insane.

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bet he too has ripped a thousand CD. That is ridiculous. Why can they just stop producing CDs? And tell the whole world hey we're stopping CD manufacturing so all of your CD players will be useless and you have to buy MP3 players instead. I'd like them to say that and see what happens.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Hell, sometimes you can't even find the CD in the first place. How many people here resorted to "other" means of getting the Transformers Original Score CD due to Paramount's ******edness?

*raises hand*

4. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    So MP3 players are illegal? Get with the times RIAA.

I don't remember there being such a hissy fit when tape recorders came out and people could tape songs off the radio. My dad should be in prison for all of the songs he recorded.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

Sorry RIAA, I am not going to listen to a CD that skips when I work out. I will continue to listen to my iPod which has music on there from CDs I BOUGHT!!!

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Well I can't physically fit CDs into my phone, so I'm left with little option. I bet the RIAA would be dense enough to try and take out legal action against someone outside the US, given the chance.

7. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Nowhere...there's no ground for them to claim anything illegal. First of all, there is no real way to trace ripped MP3 files on your computer (at least those actually ripped on the computer as opposed to downloaded files) so there is no way to prove that those didn't come from a personal copy that was bought and paid for. Secondly, every MP3 player on market right now requires you burning files onto your computer prior to loading them on the player. The RIAA is just being ******ed again and it will soon blow over. I honestly don't take them seriously anymore. I do what I want. Music is an art form that should be free to anyone in the world. If you respect the band and what they do, you'll do the right thing and buy the CD, but if I'm not sure I'm going to like a CD, I'll download it for free first to give it a listen. If I like it, I'll usually buy it. Anyways, I'm getting away from the conversation, point being, no one is going to take them seriously on this and help them press charges.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    So what about the music I bought off Itunes? is that illegal too? What about my Ipod? Is it illegal? This sounds like the crap they tried with the original zune. Where you had to purchase the right to rent the music for a period of time. They just don't understand that the average person does not want to buy a Cd that costs as much as a dvd. Which would you rather buy? Especially when they only like one or two songs on that CD. I'd rather pay Itunes or some other place a buck per song. It saves me 9 dollars on songs I don't like. The RIAA hasn't caught up with the times and they expect the staus quo to remain the same as in the 80's and 90's. Eventually they will figure out how to properly sell and market this to make as much or more profit. But in the mean time we get crap like this which only anger their potential customers rather than have them purchase more merchandise.

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That article is just ******ed.

Guess what RIAA... Do everyone a favor and go fuck yourself.

Yours truly,

Belgrath

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    What I'd like to know is how these assholes get these cushy jobs where they feel they can dictate what WE can and can't do with our OWN purchases. I work my ass off for what I buy, I should have the right to do with it as I see fit. End of story. You know what? I bought 6 CD's today-Pat Benatar for my wife, Warrant and Cinderella for me, and an 80's pop music 3-disc set for both of us. Within minutes of getting home, they were ripped to my PC and are now on my iPod. If that sticks in RIAA's craw, then I have a polska they can stick there as well.

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    Hey.. If I could rip the song from the CD to my MP3 player WITHOUT making a copy (thus deleting the first copy on the CD)... I would

but I can't, so fuck off.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Eh. I wouldn't worry about it. Federal law doesn't agree with them. They can say it till they're blue in the face, but they'd lose the argument if it went to court, and they know it. The law is crystal clear that making copies of media you own for personal use are perfectly legal. They're just trying to scare the easily spooked into paying for their music again in a new format.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    fuck u arr eye yie ay!

eh like im affected, meh.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    KD, it's naive to think that they won't simply purchase legislation more suitable to their ends. Have you already forgotten the DMCA (fair use is a legal right, actually exercising became a criminal offense) and the Sonny Bono Eternal Copyright Extension (forever minus 1 microsecond equals the Constitution's 'limited' period) and the 2009 Digital TV Mandate (closing the analog hole)? They're slowly working towards a day when a chip in your brain (paid for by us via increased taxation, see also 'digital TV mandate') will determine if you have enough credits to hear a song or not and how many obnoxious ads for enyzte you'll have to endure before it actually starts playing.

Incidentally, I don't get why technology people (ie Slashdot and Digg readers), who should be acutely aware of all the idiotic hinderences inherent in every single DRM scheme ever implemented, are literally chomping at the bit to get rid of physical CDs. To suggest that any digital file is safer than a physical backup is absurd and short-sighted. You may as well remove the smoke detectors from your home because, afterall, arson is illegal and you don't have a fireplace anyway.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love overblown, slippery slope arguments!

16. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

Next they'll ban CDs and want us to go back to using the 8 track.
    Ah, those were the days.

17. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

After reading the article, I noticed that the actual language stated that the accused placed the ripped files in his Kazaa shared folder for distribution. Thats the point to take from the article.

I'm sure the RIAA would love to find ways to fine people for making copies of music they legitimately purchased, though.

18. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

The Nazis never went away, they're just in the RIAA now.

I say we gas them first, this time.

19. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Do music sales really suck this bad? I got news for them, it's not technology's fault, music got stale and generic and has been for a decade. Who's gonna pay for crap?

20. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    As musician who creates and distributes my own music, I despise the (mainly American, but most countries really) music industry's stance on copyright protection.

It's all about money, not about the music. The money you pay for a CD goes mainly to the industry, not the artists. It goes on promotion, recording costs, physical production of the media and distribution costs. All things that are quickly becoming cheaper or unneccessary. Record companies may well become obsolete if enough artists decide that being on a "label" is no big deal.

I certainly hope so. DIY FTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.