RIAA Not Targeting CD Ripping After All

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Not sure why the other thread was closed, but the Washington Post story was wrong.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071231/tc_nf/57474

And despite there being evidence the Washington Post screwed up, they have yet to correct their story.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9839170-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1040_3-0-5

2. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    As far as the specific arguments for this case go, no, the RIAA is not arguing that ripping a CD is illegal.

However, they have gone on record numerous times to say that they don't really like the practice. I [personally] suspect that if they thought they had a legal angle, they would try to put a stop to ripping, but in a rare affliction of common sense they have probably figured it would be worthless to try.

From an Ars article a few weeks ago (article has citation links)

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I keep duplicates of my CDs in my car in case they get scratched or I'm broken into and they are stolen. My auto insurance won't cover CD theft from my car.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

All the music on my Com/Ipod/MP3player are songs I ripped directly from a CD. I have no problems buying a CD since I can always transfer those songs to other mediums I use to listen to music. But if they're going to get pissy about it (which they aren't) then I'll just have to download them illegally like everyone else (which I don't). :D 

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh Drippy, when will you learn - no one cares if news articles are actually truthful or not, they just want to explode with quick crys of outrage.

6. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I'm stubborn gosh darnit!

And apparently a masochist too. ;) 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I somehow find this funny. My question is:

What if you ripped a CD you boght for your own use? I used to burn an extra CD from my originals to take to school. (just encase it got lost or stolen) Did that make me a criminal in their eyes?

Well, maybe not that, but I'm haveing a tough time understanding where they draw the line.

I think because it got too close to being political, but that shouldn't happen here.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I knew about this back when the other thread was going on. I was going to give a "buried as inaccurate" with a news link, but I really hate seeing "*obligatory BS reason* discussion closed" followed by a :locked2:  so I didn't say anything.

I too have wondered that if a copy of a purchased CD were to be stolen or lost, if that would be considered criminal since it is an unauthorized copy. I however doubt that something like that would go to trial, and its even less likely that they would be able to convince a jury that the person who had their cd collection stolen from their car was a criminal.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

From my understanding, it's only 'illegal' to upload the song onto a public sharing site or otherwise mass distribute to people. Heck even if you burnt all your CDs to give a copy to friend I doubt they'd be able to do anything.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

No Electronic Theft (NET) Act

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c105:H.R.2265.ENR:

That I think is the official line. If they can prove you have duplicated something enough in 180 days to reach 1000$ you are cooked.

For a 15$ cd, that is only 67 downloads. Which is not hard to prove.

This recent case is saying "If you upload it or share it, and people download it, then every download counts as an illegal copy *YOU* made." That is the difference in this case. And the verdict is, yes you are responsible.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Of all the cd's Ive bought in my lifetime, lent out, or had stolen. I'll rip away.
    Will stop once they make scratch proof cd's with thief protection

Never uploaded any songs on the pc though, just to the xbox.
    Playing Call Of Duty 4 to Lennon's 'Give peace a chance ' is funny. ( Hate the song tho)

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lolol  try "Instant Karma", it might be a better fit.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hell yeah, gonna get you right in the face

Used to love that song , thanks to the Nike commercial

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The real question isn't whether its illegal or legal, but how in the world would they even prove or go about finding out about a burnt copy being made.

15. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hell yeah! I'll second that one. I've had roughly 200 cds stolen in 2 car break ins. The first time, I found my cds in a pawn shop. Proved to the detective they were mine, even to his satisfaction. Did I get 'em back. HELL NO! They aren't serial numbered, so I was SOL. When the recording industry has the decency to serial # these things, then I'll consider feeling different. Until then, piss off.

Well, that brings up a different question for me. Is it illegal to download, as long as you're not sharing? They only thing mentioned there is uploading.

16. nkelsch

Yes, it is still illegal.

If you receive an illegal copy just because they did the crime doesn't make your copy legal. I assume it works like software piracy where you can be charged per software.

Once you have over 5000$ of illegal downloads it becomes a felony.

17. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

18. nkelsch