3D Artwork: Rhinox555's Shapeways projects

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Rhinox555, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Decided i'll just make this a combined WIP thread for my Shapeways stuff.

Up first: Perception Rifle

[​IMG]

This thing was really just a test, hence why it doesn't look particularly impressive. It's a vaguely Sniper-rifle looking Cybertronian gun intended to be used by Perceptor. Hence the name. The product has not been tested yet, so if you're interested in buying one, but aren't sure yet, i'd advise you to wait until i can confirm that the 5mm handle and 3mm breach work properly. Then again, since this is just a test, i don't "advise" you to order one at all. :p 

If through some drunken thought, someone should decide to just "Fuck it all and order one anyways.", it can be found on Shapeways.com by searching "Perception Rifle".

Currently i am working on a Mini-gun, some early plans for jointed pieces like a rotating barrel, a balljointed 3mm clip and a flip-down handle had to be scrapped. The clip is now instead poorly disguised as a sight.

[​IMG]

I did however, make a removable ammo chain, that should be flexible when produced in Shapeways' standard Strong&Flexible material.

[​IMG]

A console is also sculpted onto the side, with a dial and some buttons integrated into the sculpt. Why a Minigun would need a dial and three sliding knobs, i do not know. Just thought it looked kinda neat.

[​IMG]

This item is not yet for sale, as i am still working on it, and because i have not yet seen Shapeways' quality upclose, and would rather check that out for myself first.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  2. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey ill grab one, it's actually a fairly good design and I think it will work with Perceptor well. I needed to order a few other things from Shapeways anyways so this works out for me.

3. Rhinox555

Ah, right. Shapeways has the whole "minimum price of order" thing. Guess i'll finish my mini-gun before ordering my Perception Rifle. Let me know if the peg's alright, so i can make adjustments if it's off.

Uploading some very early WIP pictures of my next project. The first gun was created in less than a day, whereas i plan to work on this next one for quite a while, so don't get too attached to it's shape and size just yet. I plan to pack as many little gimmicks in this one as i can. For example: the non-functional Dial + Sliding knobs you can see in the second picture. Of course when you're going to make a big gun, you really don't have much of a choice but to also put a 3mm bar on there now, do you? How else are you supposed to put guns on top of your guns? Work on this will be going relatively slow at first, as i'll probably have to order a Perception Rifle first to check out the quality of the plastic for myself.
    Edit: Oh, what the hell. Have a video while i'm at it. Mini-gun on Youtube

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. Rhinox555

First post updated with new Minigun pictures.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What do you model in?

Be nice to get a deluxe size megs gun for starscream one day.

6. Rhinox555

Google SketchUp. It's kind of an odd program, mostly easier to use than any other program yet basic things like spheres tend to be a big hassle. You mean a Megatron-shaped gun for Deluxe class figures? Yeah, that Fansproject Mini-tron thing looked awesome, it's a shame that they cancelled that.

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sketch up works with shapeways? Very cool. Thought I'd have to mess with meshes again and get headaches before quitting :)  How do they figure sizing? (I need a head for a project).

8. Rhinox555

It's slightly confusing at first. I'm working with the millimeter scale in SketchUp, i then have to export is a .DAE file, open that in Meshlab (freeware program) and then save it as .STL , which i can then upload to shapeways. Oddly, i have to check the "inches" box despite having worked with millimeters. That threw me off at first, whenever i checked millimeters, Shapeways kept telling me that my design was less than half a millimeter in size.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Good to see another Radicon working with Shapeways and 3D printing. I use Sketchup because i can't be stuffed to learn another CAD, and Shapeways designing is fun.

I like the removable ammo belt, but you should be warned: WS&F is not really that flexible, so your ammo belt will snap before it bends enough. Just thought you should know.

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    couldn't it be soaked in semi-hot water... (or just not boiling, say 80-90degrees celcius)

I managed to reshape lots of plastic before using that trick...

(a oven works to, but the temps depends on volume etc.)

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing to keep in mind is which material you intend on printing to. Strong & flexible is great for strength and durability, but you'll lose the finer details of your model. Although the resolution is 0.2mm, the material itself is quite coarse at that level.

The detail materials will produce a much finer result, but it requires a few additional considerations. The minimum wall thickness is 1.5mm, more than double strong & flexible. It does not bend well, and will perform poorly in situations that might stress it.

If you're thinking about putting in embedded joints, remember to leave 0.6mm between parts. Don't worry too much about finishing; strong & flexble and detail materials both take dye and paint very well.

12. Rhinox555

Shop is now open. Black, Strong and Flexible material Perception Rifle is exactly 15 USD. It's more expensive than a mold-produced accesory, and the texture is usually very porous, so you may not get as much bang for your buck as you would from products from most 3rd party kits, i mainly chose Shapeways because production is entirely free of cost for the designer, and production numbers are infinite.

Thanks for the info. I am a little worried some of the detail won't make it through the production process. The Perception Rifle should be printable in their detail material, as none of the parts come under any real stress. With the minigun however, the 3mm clip might pose a problem. I intend to have some prototypes produced in various materials before i put that one up for sale, so that i can fix any problems i may come across before putting it in my Shapeways shop.

I checked out some videos on Shapeways youtube channel, and saw a video where they made pieces of very durable fabric using the WS&F material. They did this by putting little springs in between each "segment". I'm going to try doing the same with the ammo belt, but if it doesn't work out, i'll remove it and add some other feature instead. It should be durable enough, considering it's the same stuff fishing lines are made of.

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

What version of Sketchup are you using? There is no need to export it as a Collada (.dae) file and then open it in another program.

I remember when i was using an older version of Sketchup that yes, i saved as a Collada and then used MinMagics to change to (.stl), but now with the newest Sketchup even the free version can use Stereolithographies. I use the Product Design and Woodworking - Millimeters template on sketchup, after which i upload and click millimeters as my scale on Shapeways' upload page, works just fine for me. ;) 

14. Rhinox555

Odd. On the upload page, it says it supports .stl, .dae, .x3d, .x3db, wrl, zip and x3dv. The only one of those i can save a SketchUp (most recent version) file as is .DAE, but when i tried uploading that, i got a message that it couldn't read the file, and that i had to use Meshlab to convert it to .STL . I use that excact same template, yet i have to click inches for it to register the right size in millimeters.

15. Rhinox555

Perception Rifle needs to be re-uploaded, so it's currently not for sale.
    EDIT: Ouch! Looks like printing the full Minigun would be at least 65 USD. Gonna have to look into molding.

16. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The minigun looks so cool, I'm sorry about how much it'll cost to be done though:S What size is it, if I may ask? (if you posted size before, my apologies, I missed it)

17. Rhinox555

Not even that huge. Dimensions are 12.3 X 3.2 X 2.0 In Centimeters right now.
    Currently, i'm trying to reduce cost by changing the Minigun to be hollow parts that you glue together. This would also allow me to integrate a rotating barrel. Of course, only doing this after having modelled about 90% of the model is a lot harder than doing so from the start.

18. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    VERY interesting work so far! a 12cm minigun is not so "mini" actually, so no surprise that it's expensive, but so much the better if you can get the cost down!

It's my standard policy to patronize TF-Fan Shapeways shops, so I am subscribing and will be watching with great interest :) 

D/L

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A big part of designing for Shapeways is being clever about how much material you use, since that's directly related to cost. Unless there's a good reason why you might need extra material to, say, reinforce a key section or part, try to keep your models as minimal as possible.

That is to say, try to design hollow parts with wall thicknesses no less than 1.5mm for detail and 1mm for strong and flexible. Remember, even if you model a void in a solid part to hollow it out, it doesn't count unless there's a hole in one of the surrounding walls for excess material to pour out. 120mm is quite large, but you should be able to get the cost down.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I know the outcome for these are physical customs, these are all 3-D designs that belong in Fan Art. I think that once you get some hard copies, simply post a new thread in Radicons Customs linking back to this design thread. :)