Rhino

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Old question of course, but curious, how did Rhino lose the license for the Sunbow cartoons.
    It's like imagining a factory making Transformer DVDs and all of a sudden, it just stops.
    I guess it's more of a business question in general, how/why are licenses revoked?

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's not unlike how a driver's license has an expiration date on it.

A distributor like Rhino negotiates a contract with the license owner to distribute a licensed product within a specific, limited time frame.

When the time comes for said license to expire, the distributor may have to renegotiate to retain the license or that option might not even be available, according to whatever the contract specifies. The license owner isn't obligated to renew their contract with the distributor. And it nearly always comes down to an issue of money. For a popular franchise like Transformers coupled with what at that time was an upcoming big budget live-action film extravaganza, the cost for the license was probably enormous.

I'm not privy to the specifics of Kids Rhino's license, but since we know that Sony Wonder secured the license shortly thereafter, it's likely that Sony outbidding Rhino for the license was the reason they lost it.

3. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Alls I know is that I'm thankful they finished the G1 and Beast Wars sets before the license expired. Having only a portion of GI Joe fucking sucks.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've said this here a few times already since the Sunbow acquisition, but I have a very strong feeling we'll see the GI Joe TV series released to tie-in with the live-action film. They already have the "best of" DVDs being released with the Battle Packs. And by the time the live-action movie arrives on DVD and Blu-Ray, I'm confident that we'll at least have seen GI Joe S1 and the animated movie re-issued, with a strong possibility that S2 will be released by that time as well.

Same goes for Transformers G1. I believe it's only a matter of time before we see S1 released to coincide for TF:ROTF. Negotiations with a distributor are probably already underway. We'll probably see yet another DVD release of the animated movie, and (crosses fingers) on Blu-Ray as well. Considering how well the TF movie has performed on DVD and Blu-Ray already, Hasbro/Paramount would be foolish not to capitalize on TFs popularity by releasing a new version of the animated movie.

And I wouldn't mind doub... trip... er, quadruple-dipping for a new DVD and/or Blu-Ray release, provided we get all the features included on the Sony release (and Scramble City WITH the original dialog track) plus some new quality bonus features--especially a featurette on the surviving members of the G1 voice cast.