RH Slag or Snarl

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by E. C. R. Former, Mar 27, 2009.

1. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I'm sure that there are plenty of people here whom are aware that Animated Snarl was originally supposed to be named "Slag" but had his name changed, even though Hasbro still holds the trademark, to Snarl because "slag" is a swear word in Britain.

Of course, Animated Snarl isn't the same character as G1 Slag so...

But then, I was walking through the Transformers section of the local Exchange and one of the Robot Heroes set being sold was Snarl vs. Sharkticon... only "Snarl" was very obviously Triceratops Dinobot G1 Slag.

WTF! They also renamed G1 Slag, "Snarl" as well? Then what's the official name of the Stegosaurus Dinobot now?

Am I out of the loop for only JUST finding out about this today?

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I remember hearing that slag is a derogatory term in england or something. I may be totally wrong, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If it's true, I doubt slag will ever be used again as the name of a toy.

3. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

It's honestly not that offensive in Britain. I don't understand why Hasbro changed the name, I really can't see people over here writing letters of complaint about it. It's the name of a giant metal robot, so I think British people can figure out that "slag" is referring to metal industry waste, not a derogatory term for a woman. It's like Hasbro thinks we're all dim-witted over here.

Also, British people don't go around saying "slag" all the time, unless they're a character living in the fictional cockney-land of Eastenders or The Sweeney. "We're the Sweeney son, and we 'aven't 'ad any dinner, so shut it you slaaag, or Pat'll go maaad"

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah it's been known for some time now...I still call it Slag though since that's the character the RH toy represents.

5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    He'll always be Slag to me.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Yup, He's Slag.

And Rumble will always be red.

And Frenzy will always be blue.