Rg1 #100: epic conclusion or big disappointment?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by HasTok_WFCTX_106492, Mar 19, 2014.

1. HasTok_WFCTX_106492

HasTok_WFCTX_106492 Well-Known Member

Comments anyone?

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    An unexpected conclusion.

Interesting too, the stuff that Furman was seeding back in the Marvel US days... going off the forward he HAD actually planned to do this back then, but didn't get the chance due to cancellation.

Interesting to see where he was planning on going though.

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was disappointed. All of that was leading to Optimus Prime dying like a bitch and non-heroically, Rodimus Prime dying alone, and basically all of our original, favorite Transformers being dead, all thrown onto a mess of a multiverse story. It wasn't for me. I'm just going to look at this as an alternate universe and as Generation 2 as what actually happened next.

4. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    It's a let down for me.

5. emptythreat

emptythreat Well-Known Member

I loved it! A sad yet hopeful ending.

6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Felt a little rushed, but unexpected none the less.

7. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was ok. You have to take into account that by the end panels, Eons had passed. I liked the idea (though found it slightly amusing in a WTF way) that Shockwave, Starscream and Ravage spent their lives playing friendly neighbours, not at all what I expected from 3 of the series' lead villains. I also liked the short story about Ravage, that was pretty nicely done.

I did find the whole infestation of Cybertron storyline a bit lazy, even if it did manage to give a bit of clarity to the earlier issues. Fortress Maximus went precisely nowhere, and the idea of losing almost the rest of the TF race off-panel seemed rushed. Can't help but feel that in itself was a 4-part series in itself.

So was it epic? Not really. It did the job, and it was certainly better than the early issues. Personally I was happy enough with the ending we got with #80, so I'm happy to treat this as a "what if".

8. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

It wasn't a huge disappointment. However at the same time it didn't come off as the huge great last issue of the 30 year old series as it should have.

The ending to the story was good, but the entire story itself as a whole was decent at best.

When this all started, I wanted Furmans original ending. That's what I paid for, in the original interviews that's what it was supposed to be. This multiverse stuff, and him feeling he had to include all continuities was Bull@#$^.

I was put off by how conveniently the Anti-Matrix was thrown into the story and is somehow responsible for EVERYTHING. Felt forced in some ways. The Anti-Matrix just happens to be on Earth all that time in the Marvel stories. It just happened to be transported to Cyberton by Primus accidently. It just happened to be at the fight in issue 74 with the Unicron squad. And just happens to wait 20 years to get everything his way. If I think about Magnus killing Galvatron, I smile. Then if I dwell on it to long I find that the spawn of Unicron was taken out way to easly. He should have had more of a last battle. If I think about Primes death in the story, I feel it was done well. If I dwell on it to long I find that his overall story as a whole didn't amount to much, his part in the this story was small, and he died. Shockwave and Starscream doing face turns was humorous, but again if I dwell on it to long the basis for it is nowhere and it goes against their characters.

And as much crap as I give this series as a whole, I will say the general outlined story
    of this Anti-Matrix causing everybody to do evil, and wanting to conquer the multiverse was ok. Of it manipulating characters like Hot-Rod, good. It's not the greatest idea, but not bad. Still all the stuff in between. The poorly paced stories that all delt with Big Bad of the month and an invasion, that gene key crap, and the Jhiaxus arc which was a waste of story space, you know it's unforgiveable.

For most of the series it felt like...well....for someone who was great with these characters....he really didn't do much great character work. For the most part most character had nothing to do. Megatron stood around for 4 issues before fighting and dieing by Prime. Shockwave was stuck to a ship for most of the entire run and only got one issue to do anything of note. Starscream was mute for 11 issues, and really never did anything truely worthy for one of original and most iconic characters. Plus that Underbase crap with him was made up bull from the beginning. Scorponok, who died a grand death, gets brought back, does nothing ,and dies falling down a hole. Soundwave and Bludgeon entered and exited the story at a whim. Did Furman just not care about these people anymore?

You never got to spend any time with these characters. It's really hard to recommend these guys to a new reader going by what we got here.

If I sit and think just about the main story idea, I kinda like what Furman was going for. However I feel that if I were to go back and read it, it would still have the same problems I stated above. A good story, poorly executed.

Almost like being pitched a great idea. The guy telling you this pitch is selling it hard, killing it. You support it all the way to it's final product as a living breathing thing, only to see that the actual product isn't as good as the pitch.

All in all it was a missed opportunity that could have and should have been way better than it was. If your happy with decent, good for you, but I wanted something better. Something that reached the heights of Furmans old work.

RG1 never did...For me atleast.

9. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Also your not really given much explaination for the whole Primordial cocoon things. They just happen to cocoon themselves, and then for some reason don't hatch until econs later when the last Transformer dies.

doesn't seem much thought went into that idea. Just that Furman needed a good answer as to what to do with the Primordials and a good way to show that life goes on.

10. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was such a letdown on so many levels. It was a struggle to make sense of a lot of it, and it just seemed so rushed. They wasted five or six issues early on by dragging them out, then crammed a ton into the last few issues. Why didn't they plan this out from the get-go and pace it accordingly?

Also, what the hell was that at the end? The beginning of Beast Wars? It looked like some kind of organic-bot.

11. prime78

prime78 Well-Known Member

Like I said in the other thread I was let down almost the entire series until about half way through issue 100 when I honestly thought marvel go was going to become the dead universe and was like wow what a great ending only for.more of the wtf cocoons

12. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander. RIP Nov 2107

Ebay:
    I agree, but you have to realize Furman hated Optimus Prime (wether he admits it or not) and only kept him due to Hasbro forcing him to keep him in the book (back in the Marvel run) and he just happened to carry over here. Sure he beats Megatron, but I think that was just to keep the Optimus fans happy. But yeah didn't do antyhing since. His faves like Magnus, Grimlock and Hot Rod of course emerge as 'fighting til the end' heroes. What a waste...

13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have time to type an in depth analysis, but I was let down. It felt rushed to meet this magical #100...

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have no problem with Optimus Prime dying, but only if it's done well. Imagine, since Rodimus Prime was around at the same time as Optimus Prime this time, how cool it could have been to show Optimus fighting alongside Rodimus, doing something heroic and then dying. That would have been better. As it is I prefer issue 80s rushed ending as opposed to this one with Bludgeon's goofy surrender because in that instance Prime comes down and saves the day and takes his people back to their home so they can rebuild, or even G2 where Optimus and Megatron put aside their difference to lead their armies into a new age, instead we got this - there is no hope we all die.

15. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I concur. There were moments during the Regeneration One run that made me feel like a kid again reading these comics, but this ending felt lacking to me.

16. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

The last five-six issues haven't been great, IMO, so my disappointment is tempered. I didn't have high expectations.

I didn't expect the comic to suck that hard. What the fuck, Furman.

RG1 had an okay beginning, fun middle, and a lousy third act and conclusion. Deeply unsatisfying.

Reminded me of Botanica...

Of course my actual reaction was "what the hell is going on?"

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Extremely disapointing.
    I'm still trying to figure out WTH I just read.

18. JasonPrime

I did like the VAMP and MOBAT G.I. Joe cameos though. I'm a sucker for Joe/TF crossovers.

19. JasonPrime

Man I hate to be negative on Simon Furman. He's usually so great and I love so much of what he's done for Transformers and he's such a nice guy in person. I kind of feel guilty criticizing RG1 #100.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'd like to see RG1 just as forgotten as G2.
    Thanks for wasting my time, Furman