Reximus Prime vs FT Grinder?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by borp, Feb 15, 2018.

1. borp

borp Well-Known Member

These seem to be the two most popular oversize grimlock options, but I can't find a thread comparing the two, search just yields some 300 page dinobot thread. Was wondering if anyone had both and could compare? Thanks! Or suggest anything else, I'm trying to scale with MPP-10 as best as possible

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I only have Reximus, he's a bit bigger but still not enough to tower over mpp10. Compared to Grinder, I like more his proportions in bot mode, in particular the torso and the dino mode is more faithful to his g1 rendition (unless you buy the separate g1 Grinder dino head). Grinder has cleaner legs and more modern engineering since the mold in more recent. Price wise, given it's nature as a ko Reximus is cheaper.
    Another alternative is waiting for Gigapower, their Grimlock should be as big as Reximus and bulky and imposing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neither one scales with MPP-10. I have mp-8 and Grinder and have had Reximus. Personaly, I liked Reximus the best and feel he scaled perfect with MP-10 but some would say he was too big. Got rid of Rex because he is painted all silver and the resto of my FansToys Dinos are gray so I didn't feel he matched. Grinder is bigger than MP-10 but I feel still too small.

As for scaling with MPP-10, MPP-10 is a pretty massive scale up and both Rex and Grinder will be too small. If you are concerned about matching a MP Optimus with an MP Grimlock, you need an MP-10. Only other option would be GigaPowered's upcoming Grimlock. Those Dinow are HUGE and do not scale well with the official MP's.

In the end it is all up to personal preference.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mista2x

mista2x Well-Known Member

Grinder is like Mark Wahlberg
    OS MP-08 is like The Rock

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I think the GP grimlock will be bigger than both, although you’ll be waiting until next year most likely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If Wahlberg's arms reached his knees then maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you're looking for tallest Reximus is clearly the taller of the two. Here are Reximus and Grinder together as well as with regular MP-10 Prime...

Gigapowers dinobots are bigger than FansToys but I'm not sure their Grimlock will be as big as Reximus, let alone bigger... IMG_20180215_150913.jpg IMG_20180215_151050.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

Once upon a time, somebody on Gigapower's FB page pointed out Reximus... Their reply was "we like that size"...

Judging by the other Gigasaurus, they will be almost the same size. But Giga will have more natural proportions (Reximus shoulders make him look even taller than he is...).

But MPP10 is too huge for any Grimlock (unless, you know, WJ itself makes a Grimlock...)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

Well if you are into the x finish for grinder, youre probably stuck waiting for giga as i am. Grinder x has dried up.

10. borp

borp Well-Known Member

so why do these companies go through all the trouble to make these molds and then stop making them after a year? the gigapower dinobots looks awesome but it seems like it will be quite the wait for their grimlock and then we're talking $200 USD right?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

I don't have MPP-10, so I don't know if either look right with him, but Rex is the bigger of the two. Grinder scales perfectly with MP-10, so I'd guess he'd be a tad too small to look good with MPP-10..

Taking scaling with MP-10 off the table for a moment, Grinder's quality is leaps and bounds better than Rex. Rex is an upscaled KO whose quality ranges from OK to questionable. Grinder feels a lot more solid in hand and the materials (plastic, chrome bits, etc.) are a LOT better than those on my Rex. Looks wise, they're both great Grimlocks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Because the market for 3P Transformers toys is tiny, and it's expensive to make anything in small quantities. It makes the most sense to make batches just big enough that you sell out, and maybe leave the market wanting more.
    If you make too many, then you're left with a warehouse full of un-bought product, and then you have to spend extra money to advertise a fire sale, and maybe even lose money in the process. (See MakeToys big sale late last year -- I bet they lost money with every sale, but they just needed to clear out product taking up space.)

• Like Like x 3
  13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Do you want to spend $100USD on an amazing toy thats a tad oversized for the rest of the set? Or $180USD on a cool toy that scales with the set- and requires an additional $25USD purchase of a G1 head?

Level of happiness is the same- cost is not. Neither scales with MPP-10.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I have both Reximus is on my season 3 shelf and Grindor is on the season 1-2 shelf. Both are great grimlocks, it really comes down to personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

For what it's worth, Grinder is probably my favorite figure and among the highest quality figures on my shelf. I never had Reximus, but the Grinder mold and engineering is far superior to the MP-08 mold on which Reximus is based (which I had and sold off).

• Like Like x 4
  16. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    I would recommend grinder but if you really really want to scale with mpp10 I'd suggest waiting for gigapower grimlock. Reximus isnt worth the purchase if grimlock is an important part in your collection

• Like Like x 1
  17. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I have both, and prefer Grinder over Rex. You're spot on about Grinder.

• Like Like x 3
  18. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

I do not own Reximus but I still love my MP-08's dino mode and keep him with my S3 Autobots. His robot mode on the other hand is dated. To me Grinder is the superior toy in every way but I've noticed that he's probably the least photogenic TF ever. In every picture I've seen his waist looks smaller than it is in reality. Same with his arms .

• Like Like x 1
  19. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    I have grinder and i used to have mp08 grimlock whom reximus prime was based off of. I sold mp08 grimlock. I couldn't stand the lack of articulation, slender robot head and elevated shoulders. Grinder is superior in almost every aspect. If mpp10 scale is crucial to you, i'd suggest waiting for gigapower grimlock

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 19