Rework's Flea Market Finds

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by rework, Apr 23, 2007.

1. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

This was the first really decent weekend of the year... And it was the most crowded I've ever seen the flea markets in about 10 years of going. Every single table was filled, the parking lots overflowed and people were parking up and down the highway...

Unfortuately, that really doesn't make for a good day to find toys. When it's like this, the place is dominated by professional dealers. Very few "yard sale" dealers got in.

One dealer did have a box of some old 80's toys including some Tfs and Voltron... But this guy was fixated on "I want $300 for the whole box". This old guy clearly had no idea what he was dealing with. He wasn't a toy dealer and knew nothing about these toys. He insisted that "someone told him everything was complete" and "he was offered $300 before and should have taken it". The TFs were all incomplete and there weren't that many. The Lion Voltron looked complete, but that was the only thing. In any event, the lot was maybe worth $100 and there is no doubt he had to take it home. Frankly he was quite nasty and came across as an a-hole looking for a quick buck.

But I did find one dealer who had cleaned out a basement and was loaded with some toy dealer's "junk boxes". Tons of action figures, few worth anything, even fewer accessories. And this stuff was picked over quickly. I did pick up a few pieces - This is where I got the bulk of my haul.

Action Master OP Figure
    AM Shockwave figure
    G2 Seaspray - poor condition
    2 Micromasters, poor condition
    Minicon Dune Runner - No rollbar
    MOSC Cybertron Smokescreen
    Optimus Prime Ink Stamper

Voltron Blue Lion - Die Cast
    Micromachine Star Wars Set XI, sealed on water damaged card
    MASK Jackhammer, complete
    MASK Firefly
    GOBOT Cement truck (KO)
    Star Wars MLC-3 Mini-Rig
    Vintage Zuckuss figure
    Die-Cast Micro series Snowtrooper w/cannon
    3 GiJoe Figures
    D&D Zarak figure
    Danguard Ace Bendy Figure
    1 Rock Lord
    Tcat's Mumm-Ra's headpiece

Huge box of a few thousand Magic: The Gathering cards

Total Cost: About $48

Anyway, not bad for a first day. Anyone else have any luck?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Nope, I never find anything at yard sales or flea markets. You are one lucky S.O.B.

3. soundblastc44

soundblastc44 CAPS MASTER...OH YEAH

The only TF i everfound at a flea-marjet was a cybertron buzzsaw...got him for 1.50....now only if i could find a G1 SOUNDWAVE somewhere

4. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great haul. I had a couple like a year and a half ago, 50 cents to a dollar each for all the following, almost none had accessories:
    G2 Green Slag, Headmaster Fangry, Horribull, Squeezeplay, BW Dinobot, a couple G2 figures, the ones like Skram, a couple junker BW, ad more G1 things, all together I spent about $10.
    At another one, though I didn't buy them for how much he want, a guy had a table with three Fort Max, all near complete, and a couple city bots, head,power,targetmasters, and combiners, I bought some of the cheap stuff(nightbeat, siren, etc), spent $25. I also know the perfect place to find MW and up figures MOSC/MISB. I went to a yard sale and spent $10, got TM2 Megs, Red TM Rattrap, TM Cheetor, TM Primal, and a couple other figures(forget who), the bigger ones cost $0.75, and the smaller ones $0.50

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Nice finds... some pieces with real potential in there.

All I grabbed this weekend were some Hotwheels and Matchbox (old and new), GOBOTS: Battle of the Rock Lords VHS, and a She-Ra book...

Could we make a recurring Yardsale/Flea Market Thread that last all month (kinda like the highs/lows go own for a week)?

7. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just pcked up a "My First Transformer" for $1.

Yeah, someone should sticky this thread. :stickies 

8. rework

Nah, this is not a thread that should be stickied. I think we go way overboard on that. It's to the point people ignore them. No one wants to wade through a 10 pages of posts just to find the newer stuff.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have more cool finds and I'll post a new thread. By then, this one will have fallen off into obscurity. I've probably been posting this way (and making enemies) for about 4 seasons.

9. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm glad to see this thread! "Treasure hunting" at garage sales in flea markets is a lot of fun, and while 95% of the time you won't find crap, it's totally worth it when you find an awesome (and expensive) toy for pocket change.

Garage sales and flea markets are definitely worth checking out for toys. Unfortunately, now with the internet (ie eBay and other online auction sites) people are much more aware of things being collectible, and not just "old junk". Some people will even just assume their old stuff is collectible, and charge way too much for stuff that doesn't even warrant the high price. Last summer I saw a Teddy Ruxpin for at a garage sale, and the sellers wanted $30 for him- if you're looking to cash in on something like that, put the friggin thing on eBay! Not to mention you probably wouldn't even get that much!

Flea markets have gotten pretty difficult to "treasure hunt" at. Like the OP said, a lot more pro dealers, less ignorant yard sale types. Not to mention, those pro dealers and other collectors are scouring flea markets for collectibles just like you are. Definitely worth going to though.

I've had more luck with garage sales. Your best luck will be at areas that have older, established homes. The residents are more likely to be just the type of people you are looking for, that is, older folks who raised kid in those homes that have grown up and moved on out. With any luck, mom will put out her son's old toys that have been in the attic or garage for the last twenty years, and be totally oblivious to the true value of what she's selling.

Areas with younger families are usually good for more recent toys, though in my experience Transformers are a rarity. Shitty Power Ranger toys and uninteresting loose action figures seem to be the bulk of the toys you'll find at these.

Old folk communities, for me at least, have been useless. The most unbelievable, useless knick-knack type crap.

The garage sales have only started up this year, and so far my finds are limited to a beat up yellow Voltron lion. His tail is broke, a lot of chrome wear, and he's missing an ear. He only cost me a buck, but I had noticed the missing ear before buying him, I wouldn't have evened bothered.

Oh well, the hunt is on! Maybe by the summer's end, I'll have a complete Voltron :p 

10. rework

Well, I found the dealer who will sell you one for $300!

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I have found lots of stuff. Never G1 though. I passed on a Swoop figure once. And the only reason I did is because of the condition. No Dino head no wing tips and no launchers. And the bot legs were almost falling off. I have however found much in the way of beast era stuff. I scored MISB Optimal Optimus for $40. That's Canadian his retail price would have been easily $50+. I also got Scorponok for $3, but he's pretty beat up. And had to pass on a C-8 Tigertron. Which hurt. Another time I passed on TM2 Megatron, which also hurt. Not enough cash on me.