Heavy/Scratch: Revoltech Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by nacho, May 8, 2010.

1. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

This is the first of several G1 characters I'm trying to customize as Revoltechs.

If you don't count head-swaping GIJoes 25 years ago, these are my first custom attempts, so I don't pretend they are perfect. For these, I experimented a lot with sculpting, resin casting parts, painting etc. I certainly learned a lot that will go into making future customs better. But, these are what they are, good, bad, or otherwise.

Here's a link to my http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/303650-revoltech-mirage.html#post4797111
    Here's a link to my http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/303652-revoltech-shockwave.html#post4797137
    Here's a link to my Sunstreaker
    Here's a link to my Wheeljack
    Here's a link to my Springer

Attached Files:

2. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Thanks! He started out as Hot Rod, but I had to scavenge or custom make a lot of the SS-specific parts.

3. thrustjet24

thrustjet24 Little known member of the Rainmakers

Wow! He really looks great. I would love to own that. Looking forward to seeing what other Revoltech figures you make.

4. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Thanks! I posted two more (see links above), and I've got three more in the works that are about half-finished. It'll probably take me several more weeks to finish them. I have plans for more than a dozen, so hopefully I won't get burnt out before I finish them!

5. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

:thumb  thats awesome. you put a lot of work into this figure and it shows. great work.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is always a tough one to go from toy-to-animation aesthetics on, and you've done a great job here!

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Looks great!

8. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

You aren't kidding! I have learned that the biggest issue with any custom autobot revoltechs is that the torso/chest is a very different scale than the lower body. You're really working in two different scales on the same figure to get the looks correct. Fortunately, since they don't transform, you can actually make the parts in different scales to get the look right and you don't have to worry that they would never work together in an alt mode.

9. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

You're right, it's not perfect, but since you know that, you're on your way to making it even better! Still, this one is very promising and it's obviously you put a lot of work into it. Keep it up man, I'm checking out the others as well. I hope you do more!

10. rampageSSS

rampageSSS All Hail Rampage

News Credits:
    Dam you! Ive been working on my Revoltech Sideswipe for about 1 week now and looks like you have be me to it. But it does look great keep up the good work and great to see some more revoltech love out there :thumbs2: 

11. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

fantastic job on ur revoltechs Nacho.......ive been wantin to do sideswipe n sunstreaker for a while now.............what did u use for ur car parts?

12. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks amazing!!!

13. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

rampageSSS, everyone has a different interpretation and process on these things, so I'm sure yours will be great. I don't think I've ever seen another Revo SS before, so I'll be anxious to see your take!

robvega214, my car parts are resin castings from molds I made of some diecast cars that are the correct scale. Learning to do the molds and casting was fun. I'm still not good at it yet (as seen by some of the flaws), but I'm learning. I have a few more autobots in the works, so hopefully they will look even better.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    He looks great!

15. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, excellent job.

16. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I may have to try and replicate this when I get paid next month (if you don't mind!)

*opens wallet, bats fly out*

It's a cracking idea and a good way to use junker Transformers.

17. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is one of my favorite characters and that is a sweet looking figure. Looks pretty damn cartoon accurate to me. But I have to ask, does that stand come with the TF revoltech figs or did you make that too?

18. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I have all these ideas for custom revoltechs, but Sideswipe was the one that really pushed me to get started. He's always been an absolute fav, so I had to do that one in the first batch.

antapp, go right ahead. I'll be flattered that anyone is inspired to try it themselves. The hardest part is just casting the lambo parts. It was tough for me because I was molding/casting for the first time. But for anyone that's done it before, it should be a piece of cake. While Mirage used quite a few junker/donor parts, the only G1 part I used for Sideswipe was the head.

bigkid24, I used Hot Rod as the base figure, and he comes with a stand. Although, I think the actual stand pictured there is from a different revoltech, an ARX-7 Arbalest.

19. zuffyprime

zuffyprime It's not easy being green

Your work is absolutely brilliant my friend!!
    can't believe this is your first time doing this stuff!

You look like an absolute pro!!
    I'd love to buy some customs from you

20. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! They are far from perfect, but I've tried to learn from each one to make subsequent customs better. I still have a lot to learn.