Revoltech Optimus Prime #30 and #40 Jetwing review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Russian fan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's my first review and because all comments will be accepted. I know English not enough good, so I'm sorry for possible mistakes and other problems with language.
    I decided to buy #30 Revoltech Prime soon after annonce, but with #40 Jetwing all was more difficult. At that time I already bought big Supreme class Jetwing (for the BIG money!). But one thing still made me to make a decision and this thing is his axe!
    Their boxes are very beautiful, made from luxury velvety cardboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's necessary to say that box is not disposable, it's possible to store figure in it for a long time to save from dust. Dust is very noticeable on these small and very detailed figures and remove it may be quite difficult (I do it with help small cosmetic brush).
    [​IMG]
    Box also have special nests for accessories. If you combine all from two figures - you get a lot! Non-jetwing Optimus have five weapons and one sword, Jetwing have second sword, axe, wings, transparent holder and additional head without battle mask.
    [​IMG]
    Orange box in the right side of image is a box to store small accesoires (for example hands and Revoltech joints).
    By the way, Revoltech joints are just tiny:
    [​IMG]
    about 1 cm. For me to deal with them is normally, because I have small fingers, but men may need tweezers. Small joints are used for hands, neck, sword and quite big ones - for knees, elbows etc.
    The first that you feel when open the box is the good smell of acrylic paint. It vanish after a few days. It proves that he is painted by acrilic paint and brush, not by airbrush. So it's a very fine work! No water decals, only paint. Colors are just awesome! I know how difficult to get this deep, warm blue colour. But here it's very close to original. Flames are very fine and accurate. They are strictly simmetrical and in general very beautiful. Especially ones on the doors amaze me, look at the close-ups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only thing that I must noting - lack of flames on the red part of chest and on the shoulders (cabin roof in the alternative mode). Also a white edge on flames is too thin for this scale. Yet painting by acrilic colors good reproduces gloss of painted metal.

In general figure is incredible detailed for this so small size (about 10cm - deluxe size). You can notice even wipers (they are not symmetrical, though), mirrors and wheels with one tire wearing on the other (!). Back view is very good and recognisable too.
    [​IMG]
    Weapons are quite strange ... They are quite small, but combine with each other and it's possible to get movie-actual weapon. But it's quite heavy. Fortunately side panel on the arm is removable and there is several holes under it to insert weapons there.
    [​IMG]
    Also there is a small hole for a sword there. So sword can be "shoot out" directly on the place of hand or beside hand - to your taste.
    [​IMG]
    Sword is quite big for this scale. But it's very bright and expressive. Two swords are just awesome! :)  But it's ... a bit expensive :) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now it's time for Jetwing. Wings are very accurate (as I think). Mounting is easy, just looking to the cover of box. Engines are heavy and in a whole wings weigh as much as the figure. So it's almost impossible to put him without a holder. But anyway wings are just gorgeous...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One interesting thing that I noticed that Jetwing has a bit more long neck due to wings. Other small differences are connected with production defects (non-symetrical shoulder stripes).
    [​IMG]
    Axe is just awesome and I very like it! It's very light, has a neat slim handle and clear blade.
    And it easy converts to a two-handed (blade and rear tip are removable).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know that I will go against most popular opinion on TFW, but I will say that an additional head without battle mask is not useless. You need only a bit fantasy and well-tuned light to make a good photos. Of course you must account that this size is too small to show all details.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In backlight:
    [​IMG]
    And finally his articulation is really awesome! I a bit have thought and counted 19 (!) point of articulation! + Engines on wings turn on different angle. You are almost unlimited to invent new poses. You may even reconstruct posters and moments from the Films!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I see they both I just remember my favorite scenes from the Films...
    So, they both may become very interesting, highly detailed, quite cheap (if compare with DMK-01 for example) addition to your collection. Yes, still doesn't transform, it's a pay for detalisation. But I didn't pity about buying they both. I really enjoy making photos of them. In general, if you a fan of the Movie you must have at least one Revoltech Prime. Highly recommended!
    [​IMG]
    !

• Like Like x 3
  2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review :)  Thanks for all the photos and the write up.

I had the first release but couldn't stand how weak and floppy the joints were in his ankles. are they any better on the newer version?

3. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I have the jetwing one (found it on sale last time I was in Japan) and I love it! The only thing is that as the reviewer mentioned, the jetpack is very heavy. Even with the stand he can fall over easily. I found a really awesome pose for him with the jetpack and the axe that is stable enough though and now he's the third awesomest Prime I have (after DMK-01 who can't be beat and Striker Prime who isn't as accurate but transforms).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Good review and pictures! I have two of the original Revoltech release along with the Jetwing version (I'm insane, I know, but I really like the mold XD). That said, I combined all (and I mean ALL) of the gun pieces of the former two figures with the included twin strut support pieces of the latter and this was the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this guy. Even my wife was impressed by Jetwing OP all weaponized like in the movie (he's very top heavy, not surprisingly). The unmasked head sculpt and energon hilted-sword/axe I gave to one of the original non-Jetwing versions, while the other original is dual-wielding energon swords. I picked up two of the three in Japan and I'd say it's money well spent but YMMV. XD

As for the ankles, it's very easy to fix their floppiness. All you have to do is swap the two stock Revoltech joints (they're "medium" size and a bit too weak to support the figure's weight) with two of the "large" size Revoltech joints (that come with the gun pieces of the original release, granted). Problem solved. I did that with all three of my Rev OP figures and they have relatively no problems standing (aside from Jetwing all loaded up with flight pack and weapons, that is).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That looks INSANE! haha

Mine doesn't have ankle problems so much as when I use the stand he tends to just fall over to one side. I wish the stand had two points of connection or was a bit sturdier. That backpack is heavy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks, guys! I'm glad, that my work is liked everyone!

Yes, there is such problem, but it does not bother me so. Newer version still have holder, it can help.

Oh, yeah, axe and jetpack combine awesome!!! I often sorry, that I haven't time to invent new poses! I very glad that I made this review and got so much fun!

WOW!!!!! AWESOME!!!!! Really similar to the Movie!!!!!
    Concerning joints, I never have such problems but your suggestion is quite interesting!