Revisiting Scramble City

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scramble City part 1

Scramble City part 2

Oh my gawd.
    I just finished watching the 15 minute "Scramble City" special. Before I get into the review, I just have to point out that the only version available to me is the fan-dubbed one up on YouTube that the links here go to. So in all fairness I won't take the voice acting into consideration, but I do wish they had simply subtitled it.
    Really.
    Okay, here goes. I remember first hearing about this thing a long time ago and people seemed genuinely interested. Like, WOW! Here's this obscure japanese show that fills in the gap between G1 season 2 and the movie! WoW! And it totally explains where Autobot City came from and why so many of the combiner teams were missing from the movie. Yeah, it sounds good, but I'm telling you now- once you see this all that excitement fizzles out real quick.
    The plot goes something like this:
    Decepticons go to check out what the Autobots are doing. Turns out they're building "Scramble City." Ooooh.
    Blaster vs. Soundwave. Boring.
    Decepticons return to headquarters. Starscream volunteers to lead an attack with Skywarp and Thundercracker. Oh and what the hell- toss in the Constructicons too.
    Prime and the bots vs. Starscream and the seekers.
    Starscream loses. Sends in Devastator.
    Prime loses. Sends in Superion.
    Devastator loses.
    Megatron sends in Menasor.
    Superion loses, because he can't frickin' decide who should be the right leg.
    Prime shoots Menasor a few times, Superion gets back on his feet.
    Superion wins.
    Bruticus shows up.
    Prime and Superion lose.
    By this time Scramble City is ready to go. Ultra Magnus gives the command and the mobile base thing rises up through a mountain top. And now I'm thinking, wait, where's Defensor? They covered every other combiner team.
    Oh- there they are. Guess they won't be spared from this embarrassment afterall. Poor guys.
    Defensor and Scramble City vs. Bruticus and Menasor.
    Autobots win.
    Oh yeah, and when Scramble City transforms it's known as Metroplex. Wonderful. What would we do without that bit of info? Not that he talks at all, so it's not like his name is important. He might as well be hulking city sized drone #41 for all I care.
    Yay, the day is won. Oh gawd, what's that in the ocean? Why it's Trypticon!
    And fade to black.

Roll those frickin' credits and let's forget this thing ever existed. And nothing against the guys that did the fandub, kudos for the effort otherwise I'd never have been able to see and review this piece of crap, but honestly- they make me realize how much I hate, "Dare". I mean, I never liked that song in the first place, but I hate it even more here. Some of those songs off the movie soundtrack could make the deaf cry.
    Oh and minor detail- Autobot City is not Scramble City, so the whole point of showing where that came from was completely missed. Not to mention that from a continuity standpoint Trypticon shouldn't even exist yet. It's not until well after the events of the movie and the death of Prime that he comes into being. So much for filling in those plot holes. "Scramble City" just creates more of them.
    I wish there were more to say, but that's honestly all there is to this show. Just a bunch of random back-and-forth battles between all the gestalts. You'd think it'd be cool. Sounds good on paper, but wound up being probably the most worthless piece of TF-related garbage I've seen in a long time. At least the pain only lasts for 15 minutes. This is what you show to someone to either prevent them from ever becoming interested in Transformers or to break their interest in it altogether. Ugh. That's all she wrote. Now if you'll excuse me...

*goes to wash his eyes out with tobasco sauce and lemon juice*

2. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I've never seen it, but I'll probably watch it now. Sounds good to me. Then again, I also love "Dare." I can't hear it without thinking of Hot Rod, and vice versa.

EDIT: I'm watching it now, and this dub is hilarious. It's a noble effort, and is much better than expected, but wow. Especially RatBat when he finds Scramble City.

Wow, the Superion/Menasor fight is so bad. With the exception of Menasor dashing at Superion when he first combines...that's the best thing I've ever seen.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    20th Anniversary Edition Transformers Movie beat you to it. And Part 2 doesn't exist its just stuff from commercials.

There was one episode, it has 7 minutes of back story then 15 minutes of the introduction of Metroplex and Tripticon thats it.

And you seem to not understand why Scramble city exists, its the Japanese bridge for seasons as they didn't get the 1986 movie until 1989 but thats very common knowledge.

4. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought Scramble City was where the Autobots got their daily breakfast.......(nyuck, nyuck, nyuck)

Sorry couldn't resist. =)

I hear ya on the Scramble City thing though, I like it for what it is, but it really doesn't fit as a bridge for the American show very well.....I wish we had more of a bridge for our show. Would even be nice if they ever made a special "direct to video" movie special that was an hour long or something.....

-Gregg

5. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    The entire show was broken up into 2 parts by whoever uploaded it to YouTube. That's why it says, "Part1 and Part 2". Thank god a real sequel was never made to this thing!

Even taking that into account, it's just a horrible, HORRIBLE 15 minutes of excruciating pain. No amount of reasons can make it good. And taking into consideration that Japan didn't get the movie until later, Scramble City makes even less sense.
    First they introduce Trypticon in Scramble City.
    Then they re-introduce him in "Five Faces of Darkness" where he's still under construction.
    Laaaa-aame.

6. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I had been hearing about Scramble City for so long since it's supposed to act as a bridge between Season 2 and the movie, but after watching it, it did absolutely nothing for me except make me glad I never saw it before.

7. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I heard that the Trypticon plot hole was covered like this: In FFOD when we see the Constructicons "building" Trypticon, they're actually reactivating him as he was dormant. Kinda lame but I guess it kinda works.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Basically: (paraphrasing)

It was created as a promotional video for the new line of 'Scramble City' toys released only in Japan. It actually takes place years before TF: TM during the early stages of construction on Autobot City.

Remember season 2 ended, and it was 20 years in the timeline before the movie so they must have being doing something during that time, hence this. So Trypticon could have been dormant and brought back years later, or was damaged from things we never saw etc.

Its all fun to make things fit, lol :) 

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Obviously they altered the "building of Trypticon" for FFoD in the Japanese dub to accomodate for his sudden appearance in SC.

And come on, folks. Transformers may have been just a glorified toy ad back in the day, but Scramble City is so blatantly shameless about it, tossing in new characters as soon as they can. The whole "Scramble power!" is basically equivalent to "Check out what we can do! Our toys can do this too!".

10. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I tend to believe that Dinosaour was damaged by Metroplex in their battle. So much so that his body was destroyed, but his spark lived. His spark was implanted into that city in FFOD and was reborn. That's a theory of mine, anyway.

Also if you can find it subtitled, watch it that way. It is neat to hear Tessho Genda do Convoy's voice.

11. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

hahahaha!

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I have it with Japanese Audio and direct translation subtitles.

seems like a good theory :D 

13. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I'll give you my take of Scramble City.

To me, Scramble City is Autobot City. It's just called Scramble City because of the combinations that the combiner limbs can make with Metroplex. Scramble City was all about bridging season 2 and the movie together and introducing the capabilities of the combiners, such as the Scramble Power technique.

Like many others said, Trypticon was either being reactivated from his dormant state or having a spark transfer due to the damage he recieved from the fight with Metroplex.

As for the plotholes, I think it does make sense that Metroplex didn't appear in the movie. He probably damaged his transformation cog from the fight he had with Trypticon. Thus the reason he was stuck in city mode during the attack on Autobot city.

And "WoW"? World of Warcraft? :lol 

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

...don't forget that the Scramble City (aka. Metroplex) also had Scramble power because the gestalt limbs could connect with him.

Undoubtfully we'd had seen that in the next episode if one had been made.

15. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

LOL at 2:27 on part 2!

16. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

There's also another episode (SC is a two-parter) with stop-motion animation.

EDIT: Here we are.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:

It just re-tells Scramble City with one added feature, Galvatron as a member of Megatron's army.

It isn't a sequel or the conclusion.

18. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    It's Time Wars all over again!

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I still don't get why people keep claiming that Scramble City was supposed to "bridge" season 2 and 3 in Japan. Or season 2 and the movie, or whatever.

What does it bridge? How? It's just a 15-minute animated toy commercial that highlights characters that don't even appear in the movie. Nor does it explain why they don't appear in the movie.

The only new character from the movie who appears in Scramble City is Ultra Magnus. And he basically has no character there. His "character" can be summed up by his function in the animation, "Scramble City Commander".

So I dare you to tell me how exactly this thing is supposed to "bridge" anything in Japan.

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Uh, the titular fortress/character?

Since Scramble City ends in a cliffhanger it's safe to assume that more parts were planned. By itself, SC bridges nothing indeed.

Not to mention the movie wasn't even released in Japan until '89...