Revisiting ENERGON

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Note: I originally started this on December 15th of 2006. I've been posting it to all the message-boards I go to and now I'm posting it here. I'm 6 episodes away from finishing my retrospective, but I'll only post up one or two segments so I don't overwhelm anyone here with a wall of text. And please, feel free to chime in on anything that catches your attention.

START!

It's been a while and a lot of the little details of Energon are sketchy to me anymore, so I've decided to go back and refresh the memory. I remember that it started out good, but everyone seems to rank it as one of the lesser TF shows out there. It can't really be worse than Armada can it?

Anyway, I've started with the Energon comic and I'm halfway through reading its whole run. Plug in the episodes when I'm done with that. And it looks like I can catch most of the final eps on youtube, so I can finally see how it ended.

Just watched "Distribution" and what a weird episode that was. But funny.

If anyone's in the mood to do a cartoon viewing club type of thing, that'd be cool. I was just going to use this spot to rattle off all my thoughts as I go anyway. So for anyone interested- I'm doing the first episode tonight. Maybe more. We'll see how it goes.

2. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Finished reading all 11 issues of the Energon comic (wow, shorter than G2!). Honestly? With exception to a few highlights I think the set-up of the cartoon is better. Those highlights being:
    1.) The expository scenes where Prime and Jetfire debate with the ruling class of Autobot Elders. Interesting to see Prime having to deal with the actual government rather than just taking charge like in every other situation.
    2.) Megatron's barking mad return as he yells, "TEN YEARS!" while cutting a swath of destruction through Terrorcons.
    3.) Avalon's shady alliance with Alpha Quintesson. Interesting stuff.
    4.) Prime sneaking through Unicron's guts.

Link removed - 2005 Staff

Watched the first 2 episodes of the cartoon after I was done with that and have to agree with you 100% about the animation. I do remember that the first time I saw Energon it was a welcome relief from the motionless characters we got in Armada. Remember how everyone just stood around while Smokescreen got a hole punched through him with the Requiem Blaster?

I did catch a little snippet right at the start as Demolishor narrates. He says that the Autobots formed a secret alliance with the humans. For anyone that's been trying to figure out why humans know about Transformers in Energon but not in Cybertron, there's your answer. Apparently the general public was never made aware of the secret alliance with the Autobots. Or at least that's what we can assume.

About the humans: I do like how Rad and Carlos feature only as supporting characters. It's supposed to be Kicker's adventure this time out. In the comics Rad, Carlos and Alexis steal the spotlight from Kicker more often than not, making Kicker seem almost an afterthought. Rad and Carlos have roles in the cartoon very similar to that of the comic.
    It's with Alexis that we see two very different possibilities. In the comic she's a political activist, organizing petitions and demonstrations. She wears cargo pants, sneakers and a tank top that shows off her mid-riff. She's an action star in this version, riding dirt-bikes and evading Terrorcons!
    In the cartoon she's an ambassador between the human government and the Autobots present on Earth. Here she wears a lavender suit, skirt and white shoes. In both cases she's politically active, which keeps in line with her, "When I'm president," speech from Armada. Neither version is necessarily better than the other, but I prefer her cartoon representation.

About the Decepticons: No surprise, they're my favorite characters so far. Cyclonus, Demolishor and Tidal Wave that is. None of the Autobots are really interesting at this point, but seeing the Decepticons separated and then put on guard duty for the Autobots is a nice turn of events. It almost makes them sympathetic characters. One particularly great scene is when the two Omnicons go outside to bother Tidal Wave who's on guard duty. Moments later Terrorcons attack and the two Omnicons are destroyed! Tidal Wave survives the blast and then shouts out, "Must protect Cybertron!" What a guy!
    It's basically the same for Demolishor and Cyclonus. Hot Shot gives Demolishor a scolding when he tries to stop Kicker from exiting Ocean City and none of the Autobots seem to care that Cyclonus is missing, presumed dead, after an attack on the Moon.

Random stuff I like:
    1.) I like how the Autobots maintained a presence on Earth since the end of Armada and already have several bases around the planet and throughout the solar system.
    2.) We get to see Kicker's family! Big step up right there, because they didn't feature at all in the comic.
    3.) Decepticon integration with Autobot society is better in the show. In the comic they all huddle together in their own little corner and grumble about how much Autobots suck. Only problem is it doesn't really convey that the Decepticons now have to holster their guns and play nice. Partially because they're still shooting up everything and killing their own. Yep. Must be rough.
    4.) Kicker's ability to sense energon is a trait that Primus gave to him! In the comic the explanation was that he was just unusually gifted. No thanks. I'll take the Primus reason on this one.

As far as laying the groundwork, I really liked these first 2 episodes. Nice, solid set-up. So promising!

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I liked the toys but the cartoon wasnt that great.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Complete Energon Collection, with a few Takara's thrown in(now taking up 6 large boxes)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Energon 2/Ecolcomplete6.jpg

I liked the first half of the toons, but it just turned into a mess towards the end.
    Also got tired of Kicker's yelling. Only read a few comics, and I think I like them better. Need to read the rest

LOVE the toys, especially the combineable ones

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good toys, bad show. Nothing scarier than a snowmobile and dump truck driving through space making munky noises and yodeling.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Energon got me back to collecting TF again, yea the show is so-so but I really like the toys.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Only good thing about the show, was Rodimus. :D  And the last ep was pretty good where it's a wrestling match kind of thing.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I never got much into Energon, neither the toys nor the show. After splurging a lot on Armada and regretting most of my larger size class purchases, I decided to limit my Energon collection to deluxes (although I eventually got the 2-pack Megatron and all three combiners). Some of the toys were good and really hold up well (Rodimus, Tow Line, Downshift, Starscream, Megatron), but some look really poor in hindsight (Prowl, Snowcat, Hot Shot). What I remember most about the toys is they were part of the Great Toy Drought of 2004. Pretty much the entire summer passed with minimal new product, and the Mega size class for the entire line was torpedoed by a ridiculously excessive amount of Ironhide and Jetfires, both of whom were still clogging shelves by the time Cybertron launched.

The show, meanwhile, I still consider to be the worst TF series ever (although I haven't seen any of the Japanese G1 and only a little of Japanese BW). It seemed to start off okay, but that was largely because it wasn't Armada. As the show went on the huge quantity of dubbing errors became more and more apparent (often making the overall plot incomprehensible; Alpha Q wants to rule the universe? No, wait, he wants to rebuild his home world? Huh?), and the limitations of the voice cast became really apparent (far too many characters sounded identical to each other). And then, of course, we have the plot itself, which ran out about two-thirds of the way through the series, leading to a bunch of random episodes of characters running around, ass-backwards combiners (one robot that splits into five alt modes? Wrong, wrong, wrong), and no real sense of any direction.

All in all, I have far fonder memories of Armada than I do of Energon.

9. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

The snowmobile was one of my fav. toys.Its the closest we will ever get to a GIjoe transformer.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the toys that didnt powerlink (the Decepticons, guys like Landmine) were good. The other toys, and the show, were awful. That was a short visit.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, Snowcat is a great toy. Skiing robots FTW! His mask looks like a high-altitude oxygen mask too.

Watch out for that useless orange and black repaint though.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember when Energon first started.
    It had a lot of good things going for it.

1. It continued the previous story.
    2. The animation was not only better than Armada, it was quite good.
    3. The early story dealt with some heavy concepts.
    The Decepticons were integrated into Autobot society but they didn't really fit in.
    I really felt sorry for Demolisher when Megatron returned and he told Kicker "Kid, I don't know what to do."

Then, it turned into a big mess. The dubbing errors went beyond being annoyances to actually making the shows difficult to follow. Characters would say things that made no sense in the context of the scene you were watching, or what they said would outright contradict the plot.

I should have known something was wrong when the Decepticons were talking about Megatron's sword and how it used to create fear and destruction wherever it was seen -but Megatron never used the stupid thing before. And there was Prime's magic blaster that he said was Hot Shot's. Then the errors became too numerous to keep track of.

Of course, Cartoon Network's putting the show on at 5 in the morning and only airing 3 new episodes at a time didn't help either.

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Pffft.......Cartoon friggin Network! :throw 

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The toys were good....I only saw two minutes of one of the episodes and swore I'd never waste my time with it again

15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Going show by show my Transformer collections tend to be really small. I usually only get my absolute favorite characters from each show. With that in mind, I somehow wound up with a few more Energon toys than usual.

Megatron- I bought him right after his return. Great momentum in the story at this point and his confrontation with Demolishor had me convinced that he was going to be a great character. Oh how wrong I was. He stays in his box now.

Mirage- I bought him solely for how cool he looked. I hadn't even seen him on the show yet. One of the few times I've ever bought a TF for the design alone. Plus his giant boat-sides reminded me of robo-bunny ears in robot mode. :D 

Battle Ravage- Simply because I wanted a Ravage of any sort to play with my BW toys.

Divebomb- Also because he was just so cool in design. On the show he's just a mindless drone (one of many).

Arcee- In tribute to G1 Arcee and also because I like her design.

Shockblast- Because I like G1 Shockwave. Shockblast is okay too, I guess.

Anyway! On with the next couple!

Eps 3 and 4!

Links removed - 2005 Staff

Oh what do we have? We got Carlos working hard to try and find Tidal
    Wave. I was right on the verge of taking back what I said about the
    Autobots not really caring about what happened to these guys, but then
    Carlos comes right out and says, "Not that I really care," (speaking
    specifically of Tidal Wave and his inability to find the big guy on
    sensors). HA!

I do like how Cyclonus shows up and play-fights with Demlishor all the
    while tossing out rumors of Megatron's return. It's funny because when
    they get on the battlefield it turns out Cyclonus didn't actually
    believe in those rumors. He just loves to spread gossip! :
    But no, it's great- he figures that Tidal Wave is being manipulated by
    Scorponok into thinking Megatron can be brought back. It isn't until
    he's given some evidence (Megatron's sword) that he believes it.

I do think it's funny how the Autobots are quick to label Cyclonus and
    Tidal Wave traitors. To be traitors they'd have to believe in the
    Autobot way. It's clear from watching them (and Demlishor) that they've
    never given up their Decepticon mindset. It's been 10 years since the
    end of Armada and they're still wearing their Decepticon badges. Hello,
    Autobots! Get a clue! They tolerate you and that's it!
    Demolishor isn't so quick to be convinced though. He requires a bit
    more proof than just a sword. It could be a great imitation, right?! So
    he's having his great identity struggle, trying to decide whether he
    should help fight off the Terrorcons alongside the Autobots or join
    with his old friends and pursue what could be a pipe dream. There's a
    resason why Kicker feels able to talk with Demolishor more than any
    Autobot; they're both outsiders at this point in the story. These are
    the episodes that made Demolishor a fan-favorite allright.

Ironhide... still a loser but he knows it. And he knows his career is
    shot now that he's been assigned to babysit Kicker. It's pretty good.
    And then he gets his spark of combination in ep 3- a nice little
    promotion. So... is his character arc over already? That can't be
    right. I'll be keeping close tabs on this guy.

Scoponok! Not "Scorpinok". Okay this is getting way ahead of the game
    here, but I want to mention it now before I forget. In the comic
    Scorponok was just another Decepticon. He grumbled a lot and tried to
    sound all smart like he was BW Megatron. HA! Keep dreaming, buddy.
    In the cartoon way down the road it's revealed that Scorponok is really
    a Terrorcon. He and Alpha Q come from the same planet that was devoured
    by Unicron. It's a nice little bit of history between them and really
    pays off later when we see how they look out for each other. I much
    prefer his cartoon origins to his comic one.

Oh what else, what else? Mini-Cons show up and still talk in binary. So
    that's a nice bit of continuity from Armada. Kicker yells a lot of the
    time. A LOT of the time. Reminds me of Tom Selek from the later seasons
    of Magnum P.I. Of course in Kicker's case they have to match up to the
    animation and they have the voice director there, so I understand. Tom
    Selek though....
    Hey! I found something! Generally speaking, it doesn't win any points
    in my book if the Autobots have to point out how cool Optimus Prime is.
    This came up when Prime decided at the last second not to go to Mars to
    render aid to the Mini-Cons who were under attack. He sensed that the
    Mars attack was meant as a distraction and instead readied his troops
    for an attack on Earth. He leaves the room and Jetfire says something
    to the effect of how great Prime is for making the hard decisions.
    Well, yes, he is great for that, but pointing it out just makes it look
    like they're blowing their own horn. Anyway, not that big a deal
    really. Just something I noticed. Maybe it's why I haven't really taken
    to any of the Autobots so far. No, they're just not interesting.

Okay, I think that about wraps up this segment. Four eps in and it
    doesn't suck yet!

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well in all fairness, hiding Energon away before anyone is awake and only exposing people to a few new episodes at a time was actually pretty damn merciful on CN's part. This is not a show that should be viewed in large doses.

Or at all, really.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Energon was sort of the anti-Armada IMO. Armada started off kinda pointless, boring and repetetive, then gets a good deal better once you get in past the halfway point of the series. Energon started with a ton of promise, but slowly degenerated into "what? they're doing THAT again?" kinda stuff.

The non-canon comedy free-for-all tournament-whatever episode was a lot of fun though. :) 

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm with this crowd: Toys are great, especially the Decepticons. The show is meh.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Megatron, otherwise the toys I felt were greatly lacking. I thought the show was better then Armada, but I still found Kicker quite irksome.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That was a flaw with the plot itself. I assumed it to be a reference to something Megatron used before Armada or something.