Revisiting Energon....toy suggestions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takara_destron, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Okay so at the moment I'm trying to watch Transformers: Energon all the way through for the first time and I'm wondering which of the toys are any good so I can keep an eye out for them on ebay.

I've already established I want;
    Megatron (prefer Megs deco to Galvatron)
    Starscream
    All the terrorcons

I've got Cybertron Dark Scorponok so Scorponok isn't on my list at the moment. Are Demolisher, Snow Cat and Mirage any good? Also none of the Autobots really caught my eye except Rodimus. Any recommendations for them?

And finally, which is the better mold, the larger Super-sized Megs or the ultra one?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    snowcat is pretty good, a little chubby, but other than that i really like him, rodimus is ok at best, his legs are way too big

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd go with the Ultra Megatron. He's scaled with Optimus better. I'd also recommend Shockblast, Wing Saber and the Energon Unicron.

4. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Landmine !!!!!!!!!!

Bulkhead, Mirage

5. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
  6. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Sharkticon and SLugslinger were my favorites and Superion, Bruticus and the Constructicon combiners of course.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Cool, I really like both of their alt modes. Its a shame to hear the bot modes are nothing spectacular but I'll still check prices on them both.

Thanks, ultra it is then! I'd forgotten about Shockblast too! He'll definitely be on my list. Doesn't Wing Saber tend to be a bit pricey on ebay?

Oooh yes Bulkhead looks great! Thanks!

Wow. That thing is badass!

I'll probably get the ROTF Superion and Bruticus sets. As for Sharkticon and Slugslinger, I'm gonna get those two for customs somewhere down the line. Good to know they're good figures though :) 

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Avoid the deluxe and voyager Autobots and Alpha Quintesson, they're horrible ~ i also don't care for Shockblast or Wingsaber.

highly recommended: Mirage and Landmine (two of my all-time favorite molds), the Takara redeco of Deluxe Starscream (the translucent Blue is gorgeous), Slugslinger (one of the most innovative deluxes ever ~ headsculpt kinda blows, but the rest is ace, Quickstrike ~ the backpack is a waste, but the core mold is solid, i much prefer the redeco to the original Bulkhead, Divebomb and Arcee (2 of my favorite basics ever ~ Divebomb's transformation is hella sweet...)

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Bulkhead's my favorite. Springer homage FTW.

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    From the E-line the toys i like and suggest are Wing Saber, the E-Combiners and Rodimus.

11. artiepants

News Credits:
    oh, and avoid Prime to, that's one of the all-time worst Prime molds ~ from his Garbage Truck trailer, to his robot-mode-less drones, to his all over the place deco, to his fat-fat-fatty proportions, to his arms just kind of hanging off the back of his alt mode, he just blows... if it wasn't for his superior articulation, i'd rank him lower than Armada Superpants Prime, which i think is close to the worst ever...
    Demolisher and Snow Cat are both pretty lame IMHO. Dumpy proportions, weak transformations, mega-annoying characters

IMO if you like Rodimus you're better off with Cybertron Excellion ~ similar homage, but just an all around better mold. E. Rodimus has really bizarre proportions (you'll notice proportions are big factor too me) with his gigantic boots and tiny torso ~ his head sculpt is pretty sweet though.

12. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would highly recommeded Energon Ultra Magnus. Though considered short packed and harder to find, Ultra Magnus has a great color scheme and the toy is just down right fun.

13. Zorgus Tager

Zorgus Tager Member

As Someone who has the entire line except for 5 figures I have to say you can't go wrong with Dradwing/Mirage,Inferno/Roadblock(their combined mode with each other looks great), and Omega Supreme/Omega Sentinel

I'd say get Deluxe Optimus and Rodimus for their combined mode, they're lackluster on their own. But if Optimus orms the top and Rodimus forms the bottom it looks allright

Avoid Hotshot and his repaitn they're just really bad figures

Alpha Quintession does not transform and has a rolling gimmick, he's really and oddity. As is Kicking who's an action figure who's packaged with a giant minicon he can ride on. The Minicon transforms and is decently articulated.

Shockblast/Six-Shot are woth getting for their robot mode which is very accurate to G1 Shockwave

Wingsaber is a brick, avoid unless you intend to get energon prime. Even then the combined mode is just average. And in his robot mode Wingsaber can only move his forearms.

14. artiepants

News Credits:
    i have to disagree due to his massive brickiness. He does have a nice color scheme, but his vehicle mold is lame and his articulation is on par with late G1... BUT i have to give him props for (iirc) being the first TF to include the classic transforming sound...

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Demolishor - Fairly neat, but not for everyone. I like his multiple missile launchers and use of translucent plastic, but the hyper-power mode is...odd, to say the least.
    - Snow Cat - Not one of my favorites, since the skis flop around a little and the Minicon panel on the wrist comes off easily. A unique design, though.
    - Mirage - Excellent figure in general, but the mold has an endemic problem where one leg comes apart easily at the thigh swivel. Hold out for the Dreadwing redeco, which has this problem fixed and has a nicer colour scheme.
    - Megatron - Definitely the larger version. I don't get the appeal of the smaller version.

Other good stuff:

- Sharkticon (Decepticon)
    - Roadblock (Autobot, Inferno redeco and remold)
    - Landmine (Autobot)
    - Quickstrike (Autobot)
    - Towline (Autobot)

16. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I have Fattimus, Megs, Downshift, Strongarm, Omega Supreme (japanese), and Skyblast. I love all of them!!!

I WANTS:

Rodimus
    Towline
    Omega Sentinel
    All the combiners
    Shockblast
    Starscream
    Galvatron
    Grimlock & Swoop
    Scorponok
    Landmine
    Quickstrike
    Ultra Magnus (repaint)
    Wing Saber

17. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't go wrong with any of the Decepticons in this line. They're all awesome imo.

The Autobots are hit or miss. With all of Primes glaring faults, he is actually a fun toy. I would buy a repaint of him. Maybe into Thunderclash or something.
    All of the Omnibots are good molds and so are the ultras with their Brute modes (I'd love for Hasbro to revisit this idea. Lots of good potential)

Omega Sentinel and Wing Saber are cool too. Omega just for his stature and WS is a brick, but he looks great.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I recommend Landmine, Mirage, and Ironhide

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Sharkticon is good, very simple transformation but two great modes. Tidal Wave (if you don't already have him) is a good display piece with some aerial minicons, although I think the Armada version looks better. Prime, despite all the complaints about him being fat, is a great fun toy. Starscream's alright, but I don't like either his built in weapons or the gun and sword he comes with.

20. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    -Megatron (preferably the smaller two-pack/Superlink version)
    -Optimus combined with Wingsaber

Those are the only ones I didn't sell, and I almost had the entire line.