Revisiting BEAST WARS

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Damn, you're on Other Voices already? I really need to catch up with this thread. :lol 

Oh, and thank you so much for taking this screencap. I've wanted it, like, forever.

[​IMG]

2. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Yeah, Airrazor, unfortunately, suffers from what many TF female characters have suffered from, a one-dimensional personality and lack of development. Really, all she's got is "into both nature and Tigatron". That's about it.

I can't even recall her as being the focus of any particular episode aside from her coming out of the pod. Any time she was more front-and-center was when she was paired with Tigatron as a focus.

Maybe they were going for a stern, "earth-warrior" type, but again, they had Tigatron. Notice how much they kept him out of the main action anyway?

That's kinda sad for being the first TF to ever have a mold specifically designed as a female character. Such a milestone really should have been accompanied by somebody with a little more of a developed personality.

- Coeloptera

3. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heck, you could even compare the strange events that occur on the island with the strange events that occur on Beast Wars due to the aliens! You're really onto something here!

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    After several months of slowing going through the episodes in order, I finally got to Code of Hero and I must say I now totally understand why everyone finds this to be the best Beast Wars episode. Its fantastically written and well tied to previous episodes :) 

5. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I also could get the DVD's of both BW and BM.

What can I say? This series was wonderfuls, the BEST piece of Transformers story so far. The characters had that feeling that made you one with them, as it happened in G1.

Mako Crab, awesome job! Hope you can do something similar for Beast machines!

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You got it!

Beast Machines. Done. :D 

I need to start putting links to all these review threads in my sig. Hehe. Oh, just in case you were wondering, I didn't take any of the pictures down. I just reorganized them into folders over at photobucket and the links all broke. Didn't feel like editing them all back in.

I've told this story a buncha' times, but whatever. Here it is one more time! About the time that Beast Wars was airing its final episode, Deep Space 9 also ran its series finale. Now I only ever saw it once, but I distinctly remember thinking that the BW finale was far superior and had a greater emotional impact. When BW ended, it really felt like I was saying good-bye to some good friends that I'd hung out with every weekend for the last 3 years. I can count the number of TV shows on one hand that have had that effect on me.

It is great, isn't it? Hehe

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

yo MC i will read this thread tomorrow at work, but keep going! i'm way ahead of you and just finished the second season!

i'm falling in love with beast wars all over again =)

8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Other Voices part 2
    written by Larry DiTillo

Review coming soon. Real life calls!

And at LONG LOOOONG last, here's the review! (Sorry for being so late!)

The episode opens...
    The Aliens begin their attack...
    The Predacons sit in their base. . .
    The Maximals sit in their base. . .
    Tarantulus and Blackarachnia build an escape pod. . .
    Primal flies the escape pod into the moon.
    And it is the most epic thing ever. EVER! Seriously, when you break it down, there's not a lot happening. The Predacons are literally sitting in their base the entire time waiting and hoping that Tarantulus and Blackarachnia succeed in their own scheming. You know what it is? They've made an episode about people sitting around watching their monitors intensely, and it works! It's like people watching the SuperBowl at work and all they have are those stupid little updates on the score without any actual footage. They get all excited over some dots on the field and some numbers. For as great as this Megatron's reputation is for being the most intelligent Megs ever- he's got no backup plan! When Inferno takes out the spiders, Megatron just loses it, because he knows that he'd bet all his chips on them.
    Blackarachnia recovers, of course, and takes out Inferno, who was working on the stasis pod/escape pod. I wonder if Megatron's backup plan (if indeed, he had one) was to have Inferno fly the thing into the moon? Maybe. I wouldn't put it past him. At least with Inferno at the helm, there'd be no chance he could override Megatron's controls, whereas I'd wager money that Tarantulus would laugh in Megatron's face, override all of Megs' little codes, and fly away to safety while everyone on the planet fried.
    For a while it seems as though Blackarachnia actually intends to escape with Tarantulus, but he has no time for her coy teasing. This, apparently was the tipping point where she decided that he had to go. Seriously, he's trying to rig together a flying machine from spare parts WHILE the planet is detonating around them. And she's put off that he's got no time for her? Pfft. So much for their arachnid alliance. We get a great scene where Blackarachnia accesses an offline Tarantulus's mind to get the information she requires to finish building the pod. And we find out just how dangerous it can be to be inside his head. Dang. Scary stuff. :D 

OMG, what else is good about this ep- besides all of it? AirRazor... no, stll not. Sorry, AR fans. She has a moment where she's stalking through the halls silently with Rattrap. That's pretty good. But when she and Rattrap find Blackarachnia inside the Axalon rigging up one of their old stasis pods, well...

Blackarachnia: "It's done. I did it!"
    AirRazor: "Hooray for you."

COFF! COFF! *cough* COFF! Painful! Painful, I say! Rhinox and Dinobot are still in the CR tanks. The Preds are irrelevant except for Megatron. The Maximals are freaking out, because without Rhinox, they don't even know where to begin mounting a counter-offence. I love it when Primal asks the computer for an estimation of their remaining time, and there just isn't enough of it. He starts pounding on the table and wracking his brain. Everything's falling apart at the seems!

Then they see that the spiders have built an escape pod and Primal gets the idea to detonate the transwarp cell that powers it right in the center of the PLANET BUSTER. Everyone gives their big sappy, "But I should do it!" speeches (everyone except Rattrap). It really is sappy, and Blackarachnia comments on how sickening it is to listen to. AirRazor punches her out and that's all for her. If you happened to catch this episode on FoxKids after they'd hacked it up in the editing room, you wouldn't hear BA's comments. You'd just see AR punching her out for no apparent reason. Good going, Fox. I'm sure the lesson there is to knock out the people that help you save the world. Or maybe sucker punch your enemies without provocation? Yeah, that sounds good. Silly Fox.

Anyway! Primal flies the escape pod right into the center of the Planet Buster, and you know what I like about this guy? Nowhere in his mind is this a one-way trip. He even says that suicide isn't in his job description. Self sacrifice is a noble gesture, but he wants to live! He's not resigned to death, and that's what makes the next part so delicous. The voice of Megatron fills the tiny escape pod. Primal's surprised as the cabin window flashes an image of Megatron's face no more than a few inches away from his face.

Megatron: "Oh you Optimuses do like to sacrifice yourselves, don't you? This time it will cost you."

I love that he flat-out mocks G1 Optimus. Optimus dying in the '86 movie was always like this epic moment of heroism and self-sacrifice. Megatron doesn't care. It's just stupid to him. G1 Optimus is a bad joke to him, and he's making sure that Primal does the noble and heroic thing by going down, "Or should I say- 'up' with the ship." Hehehe.

Primal: "MEGATROOOOOOOOOON!"

When I first watched this episode back in 1996, I knew, KNEW, that Primal would escape the pod somehow. I knew he would succeed in blowing up the moon/planet buster and save the day. He'd fly back to Earth and regroup with his friends for a victory party. I knew all these things, because I'd been watching cartoons since I was a kid, and all kids know that the hero always wins. The Decepticons never won. Up til now the Predacons haven't done much better. Primal's safe.

But the pod kept getting closer and closer to the planet buster. Nearly to the center. Primal still hasn't jettisoned.

Primal: "MEGATROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!"

And then the moon exploded. Like, Death Star (in the special edition) exploded. No Primal. Oh wait, there he is! OMG... no, it's pieces of him. Holy- ! They killed Optimus Primal! An ominous "The End?" appears on the screen before fading to black.

Absolutely epic. I really love this episode. There's so much going on and yet so little. The tension is constant throughout the entire episode, with the planet buster heating up the planet and causing all the energon deposits to explode worldwide. It's just really, really good. I still love watching it every time even to this day. And um... I'm not sure what else to say about this one. Season 1's done, I guess. Wow. Only took me a year or so to do. Heh. Enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices21.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices23.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices24.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices25.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices26.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices27.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices29.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices31.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices32.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices33.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices35.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices37.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices39.jpg
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd160/M...herVoices40.jpg

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Come on, MC. Finish up Season 1 soon. I'm looking foward to your thoughts on Season 2 soon.

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always get a good laugh at the looks on both Scorpinok and Terrorsaur.

Terrorsaur: Holy crap!
    Scorpinok: Yaaaaaahhhhhhh!

:lolol 

11. Pulverize

Pulverize Predacon

Haha gotta dig Scorponok and Terrorsaur, shame they died in the next episode!

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Is this thread over? I hope not!

13. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Finals week, dude. :( 

14. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I hope after finals week, you can finish up Season 1 and get on Season 2 right away.

15. MrsOptimusPrime

MrsOptimusPrime Autobot

I just started watching Beast Wars on DVD. I'm now on episode 14. I'm really enjoying it, but I don't want to read spoilers so I guess I'll just post this and stop reading.

I really like the characters. Dinobot and Tigatron are interesting. The humor is good especially when Optimus and Rinox make fun of Megatron's Yesss and Noooo's at the end of his comments. Love that! I just wish Peter Cullen was Optimus and Frank Welker was Megatron!

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Come on, MC. Finish up the first season!

17. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed all the Beast Wars & Beast Machines series. Although sometimes the silly acme toon moments like getting squashed and floating down to the ground or the running off a cliff, wait a few seconds and then fall kind of made it seem more for a younger viewer. Still a fantastic Transformers series. I loved Silverbolt & Rattrap but .... Depth Charge FTW! lol

18. VSpec

VSpec TF Forza Painter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started watching Beast Wars again last week and I'm halfway thru season 2 right now. Still as good as I remember. Makes me want to find some Beast Wars toys now.

19. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Damn, I'm lazy. :( 

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    How about you finish up this season and I'll carry the torch due to your busy schedule?