Revisiting Alternators/Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I love Alternators/Binaltech. My favorite is Mirage with Wheeljack second. I really loved the fact that the alt mode was so detailed with opening doors, engine compartments, etc. And the robots looked great too. I wish Hasbro was still making these...

2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I love all the Impreza's, Silverstreak over Smokescreen.

I love Mirage. It's a gorgeous figure. Definitely my favorite of the whole line.

I also really adore the Mazda RX8 mold. Jazz and Shockwave are really nice looking in both molds. The only issue I have is with Shockwaves hood thing, as it never stays in. Both models seem very prone to arms popping off at random.

I really could take or leave Wheeljack/Grimlock in terms of engineering. I like how they look in both modes, except for the giant assflap and pain in the ass transformation. I still like Wheeljack a lot, though.

3. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    The Mazda mould is also my favourite, for having the most completely realistic interior of any TF to date (by having front and back seats). The Subaru comes a close 2nd.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Whatever licenses Hasbro had with the car manufacturers have most likely expired by now. I don't think Hasbro can release any new Alternators without purchasing new licenses, and there just isn't enough product demand to justify Hasbro doing so.

TakaraTomy goes after a much smaller market, and was thus able to release a bunch of BTs after the Alternators had gone on indefinite hiatus. Those were probably the last ones covered by their BT licensing agreements, since they seem to be focusing more on Alternity now.

I'd love to see a repaint of BTA Red Alert as Prowl (even though they already did Prowl in the "wrong" mold) or Skids into Ironhide, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Shockwave wears the RX 8 mold well, and is at the top of my list of faves, he looks much better than Jazz imo.

I love the Jeep mold....can't get enough of that one. I find myself playing around with that mold more than the others....Jag Ravage is at the top of my list also.

Only thing I have to say that I disliked about any one Alt was the Mustang mold....you know the whole arm/door thing.....the 'Stang is the only mold that requires a little bit more time for me when it comes to tf-ing it.

...other than that, the fact that they axed the line or placed it on "hiatus" indefinitely always was a bummer for me.

Though I have found some joy in the HA line....just wished they had rubber tires.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Still love Alternators, finally got Rodimus (and no, it's not a KO) last month.

I'm missing:
    Rollbar
    Sunstreaker
    Camshaft
    Ricochet
    Rumble

I'd like to finish my collection, but Camshaft... that one's gonna suck. Rumble too, probably.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still like this line a lot. I had more than half the molds (and a couple of the repaints- but not many.

Favorites:
    Mirage
    Convoy (KP version- those extra paint aps helped the mold sooo much)
    Ravage (jaguar version)
    Jazz (BT)
    Skids isn't bad either (BT)
    HA Jazz and Sideswipe are almost nice enough to count as well

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Binaltechs are my main focus in collecting secondary-market TFs right now. I love the die-cast. They are hard to find cheap, but the time it takes me to track them down makes it that much sweeter when I finally add them to the collection. I've had Hound and Corvette Ravage for some time now, and I recently added the blue Bluestreak (thanks again, Sidecutter!)

As for Alternators, Sideswipe was the first one I bought, back in 2004 when armies of Smokescreens were clogging the shelves. I thought he was gorgeous, but I didn't get another one until I found Decepticharge on clearance at Target. (Finding an Alternator that wasn't Smokescreen was still a problem in my area.) I've got quite a few Alts still MISB... mulling over opening them or selling them. The only other ones I opened were Mirage and Optimus Prime. I actually didn't care much for Optimus; he was okay, but his lower legs are so disproportionately long that it turns me off. Seems like it would have been easy to engineer in upper leg extensions to help the proportions, and that would have made him taller, too, as I like my Optimuses to be.

Seeing Camshaft at my local Meijer and not buying him is still one of my biggest collecting regrets. :banghead: 

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is the line that got me into hardcore collecting. Smokescreen GT is my favorite in the line. When it was all said ans done two things really bothered me.

1) Way to many repaints!
    2) The character/mold switching. For example, I for the life of me I don't know how the Dodge Ram ended up as Prime when it's clearly Trailbreaker/Hoist.

I still need a BT Clear Ligier :( 

10. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I love collecting Alts/BTs especially over here in China. KO BTs are the highest quality KOs of anything out there. And they get real creative with their decos. So I get to have the core collection of HasTak Alt/BTs and also a brand new supporting cast. Dead End decked out as Barricade... Silverstreak as a more G1 accurate Prowl... a white and a black Sideswipe... a Bumblebee colored Streak... a red "Shattered Glass" Shockwave...

What an awesome line.

And repaints don't bother me at all. I love 'em. It is freaking amazing how many time HasTak or KO makers can repaint the same damn figure and make me buy it all over again.

11. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the Japanese side of the business, where Takara (I assume) wanted a Prime in the line since they felt that he would be a good sell in Japan.

I like the mold overall but he is a bit too bulky in bot mode. Either way, I made him into Ironhide since I really wanted an Alt Ironhide in my collection.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My favorite Alt/BT? KP Rodimus. Fortunately, I don't have to pick, though :)  If I had to pick a mold, it would be the RX-8 mold. I really love the classic G1ish hood=chest/doors flaring out. Others have cited additional reasons the mold is cool as well.

Here's my sealed Alt/BT collection: Superquad7's Album: My Alternators and Binal Tech Collection - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

If you're interested, you can surf my album here to see my loose Alts: Transformers Collection pictures by superquad7 - Photobucket

:D  The truth be told!

You and me both :)  I even based a Razorclaw custom off of yours (and TTT). :wink: 

I always thought it funny that the BT Guide has instructions to detach/attach the doors during transformation :lol 

When the line ended, I sorta breathed a sigh of relief, as some of them proved very difficult to get (BT-17, I'm looking at you!). I was bummed as well, though.

As far as the HA line, I feel the same way as you about the rubber tires, and it was the little details that made the Alt/BT line so nice. Also, the HA line feels much more like "toys" to me versus the more sophisticated feel of the Alt/BT line, despite the simpler transformations comparatively. While the interactivity with the human figures is great, the figures themselves could be better, too (*leers at Sgt. Epps*). Despite that, I'm really thankful for the HA line, but I digress . . . .

Agreed! The KOs are really nice and fun! I think if people are bothered by repaints, Transformers probably isn't the best toyline for someone to be into, anyways. Of course, I can see how one would easily be frustrated with the repaints in this line.

13. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can customize a Prowl out of Autorooper, Ironhide out of Skids. It only takes a bit of time to take disassemble paint, let dry for a week or two then reassemble. It really does not take much effort to get a good looking figure. Prowl only requires minor paint of the forearms and swap the head, apply reprolabels.

Attached Files:

14. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just put my Binaltech line away in storage I love how the boxes keep the figures protected. The few Alternators I pick up I don't have a box for so I plan on selling them off instead of risking damage. My favorite out of this like is my custom Prowl then Jazz is a close second.

15. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the alt/bt line is my second favorite after masterpiece (3rd CHUG, 4th animated). its hard to pick a favorite, but i can definitely say i'm not very fond of alt wheeljack.