Revisiting Alternators/Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    My current focus has been to reacquire BT/Alts and have bought a dozen or so in the past month.

Looking back, I remember seeing the first grey proto pictures of Smokescreen in 2003. Simply put, the line promised to be a Masterpiece-worthy line of updated G1 toys. It certainely paved the way to a new level of complexity in Transformers to come.

For me, the Mazda RX8 mold remains the best of the line. Binaltech Laserwave is my personal favorite. That metalflake purple really stands out and is gorgeous to look at. I love Overdrive's simplicity, but his limited knee movement makes him lose point. Grimlock was initially the toughest to figure out (I'm looking at you, overly complex arm transformation!)

Others like Rumble and Jaguar Ravage felt rushed, almost like they didn't fit with the rest of the line.

Alternators are so nice in Alt mode, that I prefer displaying them in alt mode, rather than in robot mode.

That said, what is your favorite mold? What was the most fun to play with? The most glaring flaw?

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I only have one, Battle Ravage, so I'm not all that familiar with the line. But My two favorites that I want from the line, mainly because of alt mode are Optimus and Smokescreen. Just because Optimus is a truck in a mainly car line and Smokescreen's rally racing scheme is really awesome looking.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My favorites are Silverstreak and Mirage. They're both just beautiful.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    It's so hard to choose just one Alt/BT as a favorite. The Jazz mold is great one and Shockwave makes it look even better. Mirage is up there as well as Hound. I love the Prime mold since I love trucks and the SRT10 Ram is a great looking truck, but the bot mode suffers from being a bit too bulky.

I think if I had to choose one favorite, it'd be Tracks. The blue corvette is fantastic and the bot mode (with it's flaws) is a great G1 Tracks homage plus he's armed to the teeth.

I also love the Jaguar Ravage, the most unique of the Alts and a great looking car.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Silverstreak was my favorite since I owned a silver WRX. Actually, my custom Razerwire is my favorite but it's custom so it doesn't count.

But I remember when I first saw pics of Smokescreen. My heart actually skipped a beat.

Mold-wise I think my favorite is probably the GT mold. Only thing I didn't really like about it was the two small guns with one being rather wonky looking.

I really do wish Alternity was 1:24 scale.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Anything that has a siren official or KO I'm all over.

But any of the Streak molds are pure win.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    While I'm happy that I own every single BT and their variations, I do wish that they brought some of it over to the Alternators side.

Bluestreak, Arcee, Red Alert, and Blaster deserve Alternator versions.

Also wish Windcharger and Decepticharge didn't have neutered guns but I bought custom barrels for them.

8. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I recently restarted my collection for Alternators. My goal was to at least get one of each of the molds, but now I'm going for the repaints. I'm focusing on the actual Alternators series and not Binaltech, dare I even consider tracking down the Kiss Play bots.

I love the Alternators line. Its the TF line that got me back into collecting TFs.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    For Convoy's surfboard sword, Hot Rodimus' fishing pole, and Autorooper? Yes. :D 

I still wonder if Hasbro will ever release any repaints. The "hiatus" has gone on for how many years now?

There's still many underused molds that could be easily repainted into new characters.

10. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Truthfully? Yeah, that's why I want em!

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I only wish that Kissplay Hot Rodimus came with two fishing poles that are mirrored so both his arms get the forearm blasters. :( 

12. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

They're good looking vehicles but the RoTF and alternity lines have taken many of the things Takara did with the BT line.

I love the diecast on the BT though.

Last BTs I picked up at BT-01 #8 and red meister

On the fence on getting Optimus.

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I enjoy the line but they take up a lot of space. The multiple repaints of each mold also didn't help.

Recently, I've been contemplating dumping my Alts. It'll be hard to let go of the ones that I've given G1 reprolabels.

14. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

At one point I had ever BT/BT Astrisk/Kiss Players going. Now I have just a handful many of which I customised. The 2 I chosen to keep and left as they came are Lazerwave and Smokescreen they had the most perfect combination of great looking robot mode and realistic alt-mode.

15. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I still regret I never got one of the Smokescreen or Bluestreak, whichever one it was--that came with the shoulder missle launchers..I always wanted that version, but just got both the regular alt/binaltech versions. Alt Silverstreak was my very first TF I got, so, to this day he still holds a special place with me.

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah some molds were definitely overused.

Subaru WRX: 3 ALT, 7 BT/BT*/KP
    Dodge Viper: 3 ALT, 3 BT/BT*/KP
    Jeep Wrangler: 3 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Chevrolet Corvette: 3 ALT, 3 BT/BT*/KP
    Mazda RX-8: 2 ALT, 5 BT/BT*/KP
    Ford Mustang: 2 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Honda s2000: 2 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Acura RSX: 2 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Scion xB: 1 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Dodge Ram: 2 ALT, 3 BT/BT*/KP
    Ford GT: 2 ALT, 2 BT/BT*/KP
    Honda Civic: 1 ALT, 0 BT/BT*/KP
    Jaguar XK: 1 ALT, 0 BT/BT*/KP

The BT/BT*/KP line definitely has far more repaints than Hasbro but even then I'd still love to see a black Jeep Wrangler as Trailbreaker, Honda Civic Frenzy, etc.
    That'd be Smokescreen GT. Not only did it come with a shoulder launcher, the car had a slightly remolded body kit and different rims.

I bought both versions of the GT being the completist that I am for that line and put the launchers on ALT Smokescreen since I display the ALTs. :D 

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  17. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the line and it brought me back into collecting (along with Armada Unicron and MP Optimus). While they do take up a lot of space, I love how they look, and I tend to transform one or two once in a while as they look awesome in both forms. They were also the main focus of my kitbashes for quite some time, so I got to know many of them... intimately.

I feel sorry for those starting out now though, unlike most semi-old figures the prices are quite high, especially for Binaltech. I'm also happy I got BT versions of most of them since those look that much better.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I love my Alts/BT(I had to get Red Alert). They are the MP versions for all the mid-sized bots. The Alternity BB and CJ work so well with the Alts too.

My collection consists of all mainline autobots and only original mould decepticons. I never bought the Decepticon repaints because, well they didn't work for me.

Among my favorite moulds are Tracks, Mirage/Hot Rod (damn I wanted that fishing pole :(  ) Ravage and Rumble for being so unique, to be honest I am a fan of the entire line.

They came so close to putting a perfect wrap on the line but the miss was a big one. We got a Red Rumble....what happened to the Blue Frenzy repaint.

Oh well, the line has come and gone. I still hold it in high regards and will just have to be happy with wehat we did get.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't regret a single bit that I got both ALTs and BTs of every figure released. I'd be paying probably double the amount if I started now.

Not doing it with Alternity though. Only got red Convoy, silver Megs, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Starscream, and Skywarp. Might pick up Thundercracker.

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

My fav is BT grimlock. 2nd to that would be blue tracks. He looks really good. I always wanted arcee but never got around to buying her.