Review: Ultra Heat Vision Superman

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pravus Prime, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As usual, I don't have pics. (I really need to get a digital camera some day!)

I'm not exactly sure what happened. I really don't. I'm still on the fence about Superman Returns, there's a lot of aspects that I just don't like, some of which I've mentioned on the boards here. And yet, like some kind of consumer whore, I bought this figure.

Well, to start off with, I'm moving into my own house (yay!), and stopped at Wal-mart to kill 2 birds with one stone: pick up some storage bins to move my crap, and to look for the Wal-Mart Marvel Legends Giant man figures. (No such luck on the latter). The Wal-mart I had stopped at had converted an entire aisle row to Superman Returns toys as the first aisle you see in the toys section. I passed them by, not really interested, and I happened to catch sight of the Ultra Figures.

I passed on the Batman Begins figures for the same reason I'm passing on the basic Superman Returns figures, they don't fit in with DCD/Marvel Legends figures, and they don't look that great.

So, the Ultra figures, at 7 inches, are actually on the large side, but not out of the question large. However, it was the action figure that compelled me to buy the figure. I have never seen a light up eye feature as well done as this one. Bright, solid beams that didn't light up the head, unlike so many Cyclops figures or past Superman figures.

The price was a bit high at 13 bucks with tax, but I looked at the figure for a bit, and put it in the storage bins I was buying.

I'm a bit surprised, the figure is rather well articulated, those pseudo ball jointed shoulders, hinge elbows, swivel wrists and waist, those weird hinge and swivel Mattel hips (Like He-man figures, or the recent DC Superheroes; Swivel forward and back, and hinge out), hinge knees and ankles. There's lot of detail on him, from the six S shields on his boot treads, to the "meshing" effect and lines on the costume. There's some neck articulation, but I'm afraid to do too much with it due to the light up action. He also has a cloth cape, that fits in rather well. The heat vision is activated by pushing in his S on his chest, so there's no buttons or action mechanisms to get in the way of the articulation either.

And then there's that heat vision effect. His eyes light up, and brightly too, enough that I could hold the figure in front of me and have 2 red dots on the floor or the wall during the day. Holding up my hand gets two very large and bright red orbs on my hand, this is almost laser bright, and there's no bleeding, the head doesn't light up at all. (Seriously, I thought I'd go blind after I looked into the beams!) I'll admit it, I love this feature, I really do. If there's ever an action figure of me, I hope it has a light up eyes effect like this. :lol 

Scalewise, at 7 inches, he's on the big side, and his torso is a bit odd, it's almost as if he's arching his back too much (I suspect this is to make sure his torso cavity is large enough for the 3 button batteries that power the effect). He fits in surprisingly well with some of the more recent DCD figures (And their ever increasing scale), like Secret ID Clark Kent and Justice Wonder Woman. However, he may be a bit too big for some peoples tastes or with smaller figures. He's absolutely gigantic, for example, when compared next to the ML Sentry. Other figures, like Public Enemies figures and even Mattels DC Superheroes figures show his larger size as being a drawback. However, if you like your Superman to a bigger figure, this is a great figure for you.

For me, I'm rather glad I got him, he's a nice figure. I even picked up a second one to use for a custom figure I've had in mind for a while, I was so impressed by the light up eye gimmick.

Just for anyone who's interested, the other two figures in the Ultra class are Super Punch (Which comes with a controller that plugs into his butt, much like the Batman Begins attack figures, that makes him punch), and Flying Superman. (Which has a pull cord on the side of his torso). Pull it, and the figure shakes while making some vague noises.

So, of the three, it seems the Heat Vision is least effected by the gimmick, and has the best gimmick, at least IMHO.

BTW, did I mention I like the light up eye action? I do!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thanks for the review. That eye laser gimmick sounds really cool.

...Am curious who your Superman custom is going to be?

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw this fig at TRU and I wanted to buy him but the neck is a swivel joint that only turns sideways and not up or down so I passed. :(  Oh and yes his eye-beams are BRIGHT as hell.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

It's not going to be any known hero, more of an original idea character.

5. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I saw some of the ultra figs. Is it just me or does the headsculpt look like David Ducuvny(sp)

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Now that you mention it...