Review the Reviewers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herugrim, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta keep a list of the good ones.

I catch myself watching a video review and getting upset with how poorly it is done.
    There are just certain things that set me off and if you are truly a fan of the toys, these things i tend to expect the reviewer to get right.

Just 2 minutes on Google and an index card can save a lot of embarrassment.

But to watch a clip where someone is holding TFA Swoop and starts off with, "I would really like this Bird alt mode, but i don't know of any birds that look this stupid..."

I feel ripped off for wasting the time to load this clip. and yep, i do turn it off and look elsewhere.

Still, for all the nitpicking i tend to do, i don't post negative comments or berate them for it because tjere are plenty out there to do it for me.

I guess we are spoiled to the point that even the stuff we get for free, we expect a higher standard for it.

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't usually bother with reviews any more and the few I do keep track of are all text reviews. Nothing against any of the video reviewers, but I don't care for video reviews in general. It's mostly due to the fact I don't like listening to people talk, but most of the ones I've actually seen have been heavily flawed. Either the reviewer didn't plan out what they were going to say before making the video, resulting in jumping around between points (or a lot of "umm...uh...ur..."), or they focus a lot on tangential subjective stuff (ie - whether the toy looks like the G1 version of the character), rather than the engineering and details of the actual figure under review.

3. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Well at least the topic was semi productive, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets frustrated at times.

The problem with the entire "If you don't like it don't watch it" arguement is you can't tell if a person doesn't know what they are doing until you take the time to watch the video. It's not like people who don't have a clue have a special warning they put in the title or the description (a n00b tag would be nice :dunce ). And guys that are good like Peaugh and Vangelus can't review every figure ever made.

The best reviews I think are the written ones. Benson Yee is my personal favorite, I've been using his site for years. Too bad he doesn't have enough free time these days to post new reviews. The only advantage really to using video reviews is that you see the figure in motion, how it transforms and articulates. Text reviews can't really give you a good impression of that.

And as far as my comments offending people, that's impossible to avoid. You can't say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Meep' these days without offending people. I don't see why I should have to tread lightly because some people don't have a sense of humor. *probably going to be banned now*

4. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Nothing wrong with saying who sucks at reviews, it isn't nice to word it harshly, but who cares? You put it out there and it's there to be praised or pooped on. Like any of our opinions and post.

5. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Like you guys, I check out Peaugh's vids for new figures, TheCollector75 is my fav reviewer of old/rare figures (but he's starting to lose me with those 20 min+ reviews) & I check out Cliffbee when I'm considering purchasing an older figure & I want an opinion. I un-subscribed to a certain S. Long many, many moons ago... heh

6. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Peaugh and Nothing else.