Review of Universe Special Edition Drag Strip

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couldn't find an existing thread for this guy, so here we go:

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Remarks: First thing, many thanks to fellow TF-Fan BlackZarak, who loaned me his Drag Strip for this review. Second, this figure is a straight-up repaint of Classics Mirage, so I'll only do a few short remarks on the differences. Drag Strip is every bit the tall, spindly and extremely posable robot that Mirage was, just with a paint job that pays homage to G1 Drag Strip (the cartoon version more than the toy). He's mostly yellow with some black, purple and red highlights, very nice. In car mode the yellow is dominant as well and the suspension of the front wheels looks like chromed steel. So overall I like Drag Strip's paint job a lot more than Mirage's, even though they're the same figure in every other regard. Drag Strip was part of a special edition of Universe toys, available in black boxes and originally sold in Asia and Australia only, before becoming available in Hasbro's online toy shop as well. Bottom line: a very nice figure with a great paint job. Not sure I'd dish out the extra cash these things usually go for, but if I ever see him for a bargain, he's gonna be mine.

Rating: B+

2. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

What prices is this running for now?

I remember a couple a years ago when I got him from HTS, this was essentially the "bargain" buy of the Mirage mold.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    universe drag strip | eBay

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I agree he's definitely comparable to Mirage, and one of the few repaints to be on par with the original at that.

That's why I have 4 Drag Strips. They're just that good. :) 

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Great redeco, this one. It does what all good redecos should do - it manages to pull off a convincing job of being a different toy, and not obviously the same thing slightly altered (there's a time and a place for those of course, but mostly? I like them to look different)

6. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

^
    I can't help but think he's begging for an iGear head replacement (or perhaps I am the begger.) But otherwise well spoken, I couldn't agree more.

And he's still a relative bargain!:thumb 

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got him for 20 CAD at TFCon, kind of on a whim. I like him a lot, probably largely because it's my first experience with the Mirage mold. Love what they did with the face though, they nailed that color which helps sell the whole thing as DS.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like mine, but hate it's floppy feet and neck, and that the front end has a hard time holding together in alt mode. Mold degradation's a bitch.

9. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I love this figure. My Mirage had a lot of issues with loose ball joints. None so with this one. I got him from BBTS this summer and he's glorious. I like this mold as Drag Strip more than Mirage.