Review of Superlink Galvatron General

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Robot Mode: This figure is a repaint of the Japanese Superlink Galvatron figure, available in the Western world as Toys R’Us Exclusive Command-Class Megatron, a smaller version of the bigger Energon Super-Class Megatron. The first version of this figure was already a dead ringer for the original G1 Galvatron, but this repaint takes it one step further, applying the paintjob Galvatron sported in the cartoon series (similar to the Animated G1 Galvatron figure) to give us possibly the best version of Galvatron across all series.

Looking at the robot mode, one has to appreciate the massiveness of this figure. Thanks to its broad build and the wings on its back it's almost as broad as it's tall. Nevertheless the figure is remarkably posable. The arms are especially well done, featuring full shoulder and elbow movement. No wrist movement, sadly, but that's just about the only downside. Naturally the figure's bulkiness and broad weapons somewhat restrict the more dynamic movements, but not by much.

Look-wise this is, without doubt, Galvatron. Not just in the colors, but also in the various details sculpted into the torso, such as the 'button' on his hip where the original Galvatron figure activated his light & sound effects. The only thing that, to me, is a bit out of place is the yellow used for his shoulder cannons, the sword, and parts of the wings; here I'd have preferred the orange of the original Galvatron's arm cannon. Apart from that, though, no complaints at all regarding paint job and detailing.

In terms of weapons Galvatron really can't complain. Apart from the two built-in shoulder cannons he has a purple-colored tank drone, which he can either use separately or attach to either of his arms. When attached, he can either use the tank's cannon or flip the whole thing around and attach the yellow sword (which is stored in the jet cockpit on his back) for close-quarter action. The tank drone also contains the figure's sound module, making shooting sounds when the tank's projectile is launched and something that is supposed to be a sword sound when you move the sword blade, but really sounds more like smashing two cheap pots together. Finally Superlink Galvatron has one more weapon that was not included in the US-versions, a purple version of the Energon blade that originally came with Cruellock, which looks a lot better than the tank-drone-blade, in my opinion.

What else can I say? Oh yes, scale. The US-version of Energon Galvatron was Super-sized, which is the equivalent of today's Leader-class. The Japanese version is Command-Class, though, today's Ultra-Class, which makes the figure a lot more compatible with both other Energon/Superlink figures, as well as figures from the current Classics/Universe/Generations line-up. He's of a perfect size to battle City Commander Ultra Magnus, for example, which is a definite plus. So all in all a perfect robot mode, no complaints at all.

Vehicle Mode: Two years before Movie Megatron transformed into an unseemly mess of parts that was supposed to be an alien space jet, this mold showed people how it's really done. Galvatron becomes an alien-looking flying machine of awesome look and power, bristling with weaponry. Apart from the two shoulder cannons from the robot mode, Galvatron has multiple gun ports sculpted into his cockpit and wings. The tank drone can attach to the top of the jet, somewhat ruining his aerodynamics, but who really cares? It also features multiple points to attach Minicons or Energon weapons, just in case the fire power still doesn't suffice.

The jet also features a functioning landing gear and an almost X-Wing-like gimmick: You can flip open the wings , unveiling more detail and guns. You can also do that in robot mode, btw, but it doesn't look nearly as cool there. The only slight downside of this jetmode is that Galvatron's robot mode head just hangs there underneath the cockpit, just behind the front landing gear. Turned around and with his 'horns' pointing forward it's supposed to look like another weapon module and you don't really notice it from most angles, but still. This might have been solved a little bit better. Doesn't change the fact, though: One awesome-looking vehicle mode.

Remarks: To clear up some confusion: Superlink is the Japanese version of the Energon series. In Energon we started out with a Megatron (despite having ended Armada with a Galvatron), who once again turned into a Galvatron near the series’ end. In Superlink we started with a Galvatron, whose power-up repaint was then renamed Galvatron General, which is this figure, the equivalent of the Energon Galvatron figure, but smaller. Everyone clear? Cool, moving on.

Issues of name and size class aside, to me this figure is perhaps the best mold to come out of the entire Energon/Superlink series and a strong contender for best Unicron Trilogy mold altogether. He is certainly the best Galvatron I've ever seen (whether the figure actually carries that name or not) and I'm already very much looking forward to the arrival of the Fansproject TFX-04 Protector for the ultimate Galvatron vs. Rodimus Prime show-down of all time. So to make a long story short: If you're looking for a perfect Galvatron or just an incredibly cool-looking Decepticon Leader in general, you should at the very least own one of the four variants of this figure. I own three now and if the chance to own Super-class Galvatron for a reasonable price should ever arrive, I won't hesitate to make it all four.

Rating: A

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I keep wishing to see the smaller Superlink mold in the colors of the western Energon toy.

3. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Entitlement? Piss off.

News Credits:
    Nice pics Phillister, this is still on my want list.

4. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Same here. That would be almost perfect IMO. That said, this Galvatron is the best toy rendition of the character (colors and mold used). Puts the Universe mold to shame. Plus I like that he has an alt-mode that flies. Blends well with Cyclonus and Scourge.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Me too. I love the mould no matter the size, but a smaller sized minty-fresh version would be perfect.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    The smaller One in the Toys R Us set is a good toy too the only thing to decry about that one is that the blue is a bit to pale perhaps - but the smaller Energon 2 pack version does seem to be the colors he is often shown in if anything the "Leader" Megatron is to dark compared to the TV show colours.

I think the large Galvatron American one probably slightly has the edge for me even if it is a bit big as the colours seems slightly nicer ; and If I recall the logo shows up better than the Superlink general version's logos do.

I hold a soft spot for the smaller version as well it's ideal for pitting agains Optimus san Drones and the bigger one is good for pitting agains the Optimus +Wing Saber combo.

Also the bigger one compares better if you want to have an evolution of Megatron display as it's closer in size to Cybertron Megatron & the Movie ones.

But I have to wonder if Hasbro ever get over their G1 obsession a little bit they might consider reissuing some more Energon toys or maybe even remaking some of them - a Voyager or Ultra Class Cybertron Megatron would be very interesting to have for example.

It has been mentioned that the advantage of the Larger Megatron/Galvatron is that should they ever decide to make a DX Armada Megatron to complement Supercon Optimus it could have a bonus mode that enabled it to fit on the arm of the larger Superlink/Energon Galvatron too. where as to fit on the smaller one he'd need to be a Scout.

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I picked this up a little over a month ago after becoming increasingly dissatisfied with Henkei Galvatron. Galvatron G was an expensive purchase, but well worth it. I love this figure and he's a perfect fit for a Classics Galvatron, not gargantuan like the domestic counterpart, but still large enough to be imposing.

When this toy first came out, I was skeptical of the lavender color used for the crown, landing gear, and some of the gunboat mode guns. But having the figure in person, the colors really compliment each other. No bones about it, he's a gorgeous looking figure.

The only downer, and its a small one... there's some mis-alignment with the ratcheting joints in his elbows that keep his arms from lining up straight for alternate mode. Add in the spring-loaded fists and the arms have a tendency of popping out of place in vehicle form. Its a small gripe, not at all a deal breaker and I'm sure its something that could probably be fixed with a screw driver and ten minutes worth of work. But I'm the type that gets squeamish about disassembling figures. ...especially one I paid this much money for.

Its a shame this guy is so damn hard to find, because I don't think I could recommend it enough. ...and yeah, having Galvatron G throw down with Protector Rodimus is entirely too sweet.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ugh this thread just keeps reminding me how bad i want him and how it will hurt my wallet!

9. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean this one?

[​IMG]

10. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i never understood the appeal of this guy, the color layout is atrocious (the pale blue/gray just ruins the whole thing), especially compared to the both of the Megatron versions and the Leader sized US Galvatron (who has one of the most perfect paint jobs in TF history IMHO).

I agree with everyone who said the US Leader Galvy deco on this mold would be absolutely aces (the mold is a bit overkill as a leader)

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  12. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    I tried to acquire this guy twice before when he was a little cheaper. Both times I got beaten out at the last second by Jin Saotome. :banghead: 

13. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Great review!! Galvatron G is more or less my favorite toy. I don't own said particular version but I do have the TRU Energon Megs who is master & leader of all my 'Cons. Now I shall join Orionpax636 in some :banghead:  as I had the chance to buy Galvatron General @ the NYC Cybercon in 2004 and cheaped out like some kind of cheapo cheapskate.

14. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I had mine to bits and like that Universe Purple Armada Hoist repaint it's a mould change that makes the elbows wonkey and there's no way to fix it short of hacking lumps out of it.

a Pity I suppose.

15. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i used to have this guy....it was a huge purple case of

meh.

sold it on ebay...never regretted it.

i have the smaller megatron superlink version also..

meh. case #2

it will probably go on ebay later this month too...

16. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where is this guy available?

I have a TrU-exclusive Energon Megatron that I repainted in Galvatron's colors, but I'd love to have a nice factory-fresh version like this one rather than my custom.

17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I have the G1 color variant on the absolutely huge Energon Galvatron.

My only real complaint about that particular one is that he is almost too big.

18. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Energon Megs is OK if your comparing him to Movie 2007 Megatron, Cybertron Megatron or 2009 Megatron - but he's a bit over the top compared to a Deluxe (like say Energon Starscream).

What I'd recommend is to see him as the giant planet Cybertron pulling one in his Leader class size and the normal scale one in the Voyager size TRU/Argos exclusive version for play with the other figures that might be Deluxe or Voyager scale.

The TRU one goes nicer with Superlink Laserwave or Cybertron Soundwave I feel.

I can see how the bigger one might be useful - lets say if you wanted to have a Divebomb sitting on his arm the bigger one would be a better relative fit.

It's nice to have the choice though I wish we'd had the choice of a smaller Cybertron Megatron too.

19. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Kinda wish I had the foresight to get the two pack with Deluxe Prime when it was out and then get the super class purple repaint. Instead I bought the big grey one and now I don't want the Ultra class US version because it's the same colors.

Does anybody have any pics of this guy with Protector Armor Rodimus yet?

20. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Potato Girl

I picked this guy up at Otakon this summer for only $35. I needed a Galvatron that was big enough look imposing, but not GIGANTIC like the American release. The Universe mold was way too small and just... didn't do it for me, so I was ecstatic when my friend told me there was a table with a bunch of these guys. It was totally worth it when I saw one sell for $110 on eBay about a week after the con!

Now I just need Protector...