Review of Rise of the Dark Spark for PS4

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Ring3r, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

I'm doing one. I've got the game - I won a bunch of bonus credits on the PS4 store and figured what the hell, so I direct downloaded it.

I'll periodically update this thread with my thoughts on the game.

Note that this is specific to the PS4/XBone version. The Wii U version doesn't have escalation, and the last-gen versions are graphically inferior.

Also: I've been one of the most vocal board members AGAINST this game, since it was announced, because it was so obviously just a cash in, recycling assets from the past games and doing almost nothing new at all.

I hope I'm wrong. I doubt I am. More to follow!

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    lol wrong forum buddy

3. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

It's a movie tie-in game, and I don't see a specific videogame forum. If it's wrong, the mods can move it.

4. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hopefully it's decent, escalation alone looks worth it.

5. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I doubt the last gen versions look worse. Because the PS4 version looks fucking ugly.

6. ComfyDeathshot

ComfyDeathshot Sir Sarcasm

News Credits:
    Wrong forum

7. shade360

shade360 Well-Known Member

8. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

So far:

Graphics: Bad. Doesn't look like a PS4 game at all, textures are the same res on the WFC/FOC games, though the game does run in a higher overall resolution. The framerate dips into the low 20s with more than a few enemies on-screen, and nothing looks polished.

Environment detail is basically non-existant. Everything in the human areas is a rectangle...there's no detail. The cybertron areas are obvious just art assets mashed together...the different parts of the environment are using textures from various parts of FOC and they don't fit together very well.

Shooting and driving mechanics are obviously the same as FOC, with the same weapons too. They're not as smooth though, the link between animations and such isn't as good. There's a bit of hitching...it's just not as optimized. Feels very similar to the DotM game, which used the WFC engine but was likewise unoptimized/unpolished.

Voice actors and even the MUSIC are the same as FOC.

9. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Not PS4's fault. The game's engine is the exact same as FOC's. Nothing too surprising there.

10. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Exactly what I expected.... Ah well. The first Transformers videogame that I'll be skipping. :( 

11. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

Gameplay:

It's fine. It's really not any different than FOC, so if you liked how that played, this plays the same. I'm at my first boss battle and it feels like it's right out of one of the High Moon games.

So....the single player campaign, while not really having much of a story as far as I can tell besides "omg he has the dark spark (which hasn't yet gotten any explanation, just prime going OH NO I DIDNT THINK IT WAS REAL)....it plays fine.

And Escalation, since it's literally lifted right out of he past games, plays just as good as it did there and there's a lot more character selection, including deciding which weapons each bot gets to take into the arena.

12. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

I was so optimistic for this game but after watching a lets play and seeing the ps2 graphics it has, I completely turned on this. I couldn't get through the first part of it. The voice acting is shit, and it feels like the most G rated thing ever. FOC left a bad taste in my mouth and this is even worse. They have to ditch high moons style and make more Transformers games on the level of the ROTF game which had some damn good mechanics to it, and was fun as hell on multiplayer.

13. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    This! THIS! High Moon was damn good, but Edge of Reality is so damn poor they can't even create their OWN RENDERS. The graphics are 5% better than DOTM, and Drift and Lockdown's voices are absolutely HORRENDOUS. Out of 10 stars, I'd give this a 4. It's looks fun, and the Escalation looks kick-ass! But, overall the game is just a giant DLC to DOTM and FOC.

14. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

It's funny as shit when you think about it. They literally copied and pasted everything, which means they had SO MUCH TIME to make the game look incredible. This could've been the best graphical game on the new consoles, but pure laziness completely screwed those of us that we're looking forward to it over.

15. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

Yes, it's just a DLC to FOC. The escalation mode is probably worth it for a lot of Transformers fans though, as it is a more robust version of what was in FOC.

The story...well it's not really melding "two worlds". As far as I can tell, it uses the assets and voices and settings from the movieverse and the Cyberverse, but none of the events. For example....the first Cybertron level has Shockwave meeting the 3 insecticons from FOC (the bosses from Grimlock's level). But Grimlock has already been created because he's playable.....

So yeah. The story is literally just window dressing.

The graphics are the worst part. It looks worse than WFC on Xbox. The level design is pretty uninspired too.

16. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

So overall the game is crap but the escalation is good and is it worth buying it?

17. Walktehdinosaur

Walktehdinosaur HI! MY NAME IS [Volleybot]

News Credits:
    One thing this guy is leaving out that is quite important to escalation fans is that it's still limited to 15 waves like FOC.

IMO Not even the escalation makes it worth it.

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Thanks for saving me 30 dollars. Was gonna cash in my gift card to get this... I think I'll just GameFly it. Was hoping it'd be worth a buy. Guess we're still waiting for a GREAT TF game.

19. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    The movie part of the game doesn't feel like it's any part of the movie-verse.

20. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How many waves are in escalation?........