Review of Energon Omega Sentinel

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Omega Sentinel is a Supreme-class figure and, as such, one of the largest Transformers across the various toy lines. Despite his size he is decently posable, though his bulky design makes some poses more awkward than others. Still, no complaints on that front. Sentinel also carries an abundance of weaponry. His right hand is a huge crushing claw, while his left arm and shoulder sport a double missile launcher (where I'm missing one missile) and two double-barreled laser cannons. A button on the side of the left arm activates shooting sounds. Sentinel also has another double cannon on his left knee and two cannons each on his crotch and his ass (Primus alone knows why).

Omega Sentinel's color scheme is patterned after the Guardian Robots shown in the G1 cartoon series (really the original pre-Transformers color scheme of G1 Omega Supreme) and he looks very spiffy in blue, silver and red. Personally I like that color combo better than the one used for Omega Supreme, but that is of course highly subjective. Overall Omega Sentinel is a very powerful looking, giant robot that you'd need an army of Decepticons to take down. So thumbs up here.

Alternate Mode: Omega Sentinel splits into two different vehicles. One is a battleship / space cruisher that strongly reminds me of the SDF-1 from the Robotech series, which is definitely a plus. The battle ship contains pretty much all of the weapons from the robot mode (except for the claw) and the central tower can convert into a kind of captain's chair for the Headmaster. The other vehicle is a train which pulls a kind of crane behind it. The crane (the robot's claw) can extend and there is a cockpit in the back where you can fit in the Heamdaster (barely). Personally I like the battle ship better, but both vehicles look good.

The two vehicles can combine into a single long 'Omega Train' and each can also convert into a kind of weapons's module (not shown above, see this picture). Neither is exactly a stellar third/fourth mode, but it's still fun and enhances Omega Sentinel's play value. So all in all good vehicle modes, no complaints.

Combiner Mode: Of course Omega Sentinel can also combine with Energon Optimus Prime and, optionally, his OP Force vehicles. The combination pretty muchconsists of putting a folded-up Optimus into his back, thereby replacing his head with that of Optimus. The combination of Omega Supreme and Optimus is called 'Optimus Supreme', so by that method what we have here would be 'Optimus Sentinel'. The color scheme actually fits together very well, seeing as blue and red are Optimus' traditional colors (even though Energon Optimus has very little blue and more black). So if you're a fan of Optimus combinations, Omega Sentinel does very well in that regard.

Partners: Omega Sentinel is a Headmaster (in design if not name) and has a Minicon who transforms into his head. Now, just as with Omega Supreme, it's not quite clear whether Omega Sentinel actually IS that Minicon, with the larger body just an enhancement, or whether they are two guys who unite into a single robot. Sentinel's tiny little extra head suggests the latter, but you can interpret it any way you want. Anyway, Sentinel's Headmaster Minicon is supposed to have a different paint job than the one who came with Omega Supreme (at least according to pics I've seen on the net), but the one I have here is identical. Either it's a case of mispackaging or one of the previous owners switched the heads, no idea. Doesn't really matter, either. The Headmaster is a posable robot, quite big for a Minicon, and his design is based somewhat on Actionmaster Omega Spreem, so we have a double homage here if you will. All in all a nice Minicon, no complaints.

Remarks: Unlike his 'brother', Omega Sentinel never appeared in the Energon cartoon series. Omega Supreme was mentioned to have been a member of the 'Guardians of Cybertron', whom Omega Sentinel commanded according to his bio, but apart from the scene where Omega Supreme is first revived with some other robot shapes visible behind him, none of those other Guardians ever appeared on screen. They must have been a pretty tough bunch, though, as Omega Supreme was said to have defeated Unicron single-handedly.

As far as the toy goes, Omega Sentinel is nothing more and nothing less than a straight-up repaint of Omega Supreme. It's a matter of taste which color-scheme you like better. Omega Sentinel wasn't sold in large numbers, which makes him something of a rarity. Unless you're a completist there really isn't a reason to get both Omegas. Sentinel has the better paint job in my opinion, but Supreme is the one who actually appeared in the cartoon, which just about evens out, I guess. Make up your own mind here. Bottom line, though: a good Supreme-sized Transformers toy.

Rating: B+

• Like Like x 2
  2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still kick myself for passing up Omega Supreme. Your review just made me kick myself harder :D 

I agree though, Sentinel definitely has the better deco.

3. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, didn't want to make you kick yourself any harder. ;) 

But the Omegas are very nice toys indeed. Bought the first one when it came out (Supreme) and got Sentinel as a birthday gift this year. Shouldn't be too hard to get one on ebay, though.

4. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I used to own TF:E Omega Supreme back when he first was released. Sadly his headmaster unit broke and I was forced to sell it :( 

But...I found Omega Sentinal shorty after he was released and have loved his awesomeness ever since.

Funny that only he and Black Unicron are the only Energon Figures (aside from the Energon Combiners) I ever owned from that line, that I still own to this day.

5. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought Omega Supreme the day after I saw it, but I passed up on this guy. I wish I hadn't now. Not very cheap on the aftermarket.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the Omega Mold. I have O. Supreme standing proudly behind a ton of legends figures. Makes him look even bigger. :D 

7. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Omega Sentinel is a Supreme class toy released in the Energon toyline in the beginning of 2005, just a few months before Cybertron took over.
    Omega Sentinel (OS) is a straight repaint of Omega Supreme, and the third and last of Energon's Supreme class toys, including Energon Unicron.
    According to several reports, this toy was particularly hard to find. For sure, there seem to be fewer in circulation compared to Omega Supreme and Energon Unicron.

Packaging
    (to be added)

Alt mode: vehicle
    This is a vehicle. I know it's a vehicle because it has wheels. The front looks like a train. The back has side windows which remind me of Ginrai and God Bomber. The giant crane looks interesting, but does little. Pressing a square button on the side enables the crane to be raised and pushed forward, providing a devastating Falcon Punch to the air.
    The three small, articulated cranes on top of the front section are very mysterious, and functionally inert.
    But. this "crane train" has a joint in the middle and rolls very well, so it's a fun toy on its own.
    Gimmics:
    1. Falcon Punch
    2. three tiny cranes move and rotate, for no reason at all
    3. the transparent cage can be used to trap the headmaster figure, if you are so inclined
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alt mode: battleship
    Awesome. Energon Omega Sentinel is the Cybertronian answer to the Yamato Battleship and the SDF-1: a menacing, titanic, immortal space battleship created to obliterate everything in its path. I wish OS had solely been based on this alt mode, because it's truly glorious.
    Gimmicks:
    1. push a button on the side to enable lights and sounds (if you dare)
    2. the small headmaster figure can integrate with the alt mode to become part of an enhanced Command Tower
    3. a wheel on the side can be used to rotate all three front turrets at once in the same direction
    4. the biggest turret has two working missile launchers
    [​IMG]

Alt mode: crane
    The vehicle can be half-transformed into a giant crane. Two handles have been dedicated to give credibility to this mode - a mode which almost looks cool, despite the fact that neither Optimus nor Wing Saber can move their arms enough to actually hold the handles. Moreover, with the claw's limited range of motion, this mode is only useful to collect lego bricks before you step on them - and that would still be more pleasant than looking at this crap.
    [​IMG]

Alt mode: turret
    The battleship can be half-transformed into a turret. Two handles have been dedicated to give credibility to this mode - a mode which almost looks cool, despite the fact that neither Optimus nor Wing Saber can move their arms enough to actually hold the handles.

[​IMG]

Alt mode: Cybertronian train
    OS' two halves can combine to form a Cybertronian Train, what at the time was the longest ever alt mode of any TF. I don't know if the Generations Metroplex mold surpassed this, and I have no interest in finding out - it takes a look of space while offering very little.

[​IMG]

Robot mode
    In robot mode, OS showcases a unique, focused color scheme. I personally love this combination, and would have bought this TF just for it. The transformation is simple, only made harder by the size and mass of this toy - transforming a Supreme class toy like this is truly manhandling a small, plastic person.
    The two halves combine relatively solidly - as you'll see below, you still have to be careful as disconnection can and will happen.
    Articulation is OK:
    • next: 360
    • shoulders: 360, at an angle, plus lift to the side
    • biceps: no
    • elbows: 90 degrees
    • forearms: yes
    • wrists: no
    • fingers: minimal pinching action from OS' right hand
    • waist: no
    • hips: f/b and to the side
    • thighs: yes
    • knees: yes, 90 degrees
    • ankles: limited on left foot (transformation)
    This might look like a decent amount of articulation, but in reality OS is pretty limited, and doesn't really achieve many meaningful poses - a massive step back compared to Unicron. OTOH, I never figured OS as an athletic type, but more like a slow, feet-dragging titanic colossus of doom.
    Robot mode gimmicks:
    1. combination with Optimus Prime (see below)
    2. combination with OP drones (see below)
    3. combination with Wing Saber parts (see below)
    4. headmaster: OS' head comes off, as a true headmaster. Its neck transforms, revealing a "nose plate" and eyes. Energon Omega Supreme had painted eyes, here it's all black and the details are barely visible. The headmaster figure itself has ball joints for shoulders and hips, and knees - limited but fun, a liet motif with this toy.
    5. cage: the headmaster figure can go hide in the transparent cage on OS' right shoulder.
    6. turrets: two of the three turrets can still be accessed on OS' left shoulder.
    7. pew pew: if you add batteries, the electronics of the battleship can still be accessed.
    8. falcon punch: OS can still access the crane gimmick, enabling a devastating Cybertronian Falcon Punch.
    9. double penis attack: two of the handles of the turret modes can be moved out to resemble "pelvic weaponry". There is no way the design team did not realise the implications of this, meaning it's a core feature, front and center.
    10. knee cannons: the left knee has the third and last turret, providing "kneecapping firepower". This is similar to what Armada Superbase OP super mode had.
    Overall, there is a lot going on here - OS might look blue and relaxing, but it's a gigantic murder machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combined robot mode: Powerlinx Omega Sentinel
    Energon Omega Supreme could combine with Energon Optimus Prime in a primitive way - effectively Optimus would plant itself into Omega's back, with its tiny head peeking out.
    OS can achieve the same combination. Personally, I find it inoffensive, it's easy to ignore it.
    Be very careful when transforming OS for this mode - the two halves of the main body can easily crumble into a pile of unpowerlinxed rubbish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Combined robot mode: Wing Saber
    OS can use Optimus' drones as powerups, but you can also attach Energon Wing Saber or Superlink SC-17 Wing Saber. The results are not very exciting, but who doesn't enjoy decorating a Christmas tree?
    [​IMG]

Other versions
    This mold has fewer versions than Unicron:
    1. Energon Omega Supreme
    2. Superlink SC-22 Omega Supreme
    3. Energon Omega Sentinel (this toy)
    4. Year of the Snake Omega Supreme
    YOTS OS has long been a placeholder for Generations G1 Omega Supreme. With Siege Omega Supreme easily obtainable, that product can be retired from all shelves. If you like an even more toy-ish appearance, then Energon or Superlink might appeal to you. Personally, I recommend Omega Sentinel as the one version to collect.

Bottom line
    Omega Sentinel is a simple, but fun, Supreme class toy, with a focused and cohesive color scheme and great interaction with other Energon figures. As a toy, it's excellent, but a MISB one might cost you $200-$300 easily. While not all modes and combinations are successful, there is a lot of thought put into making this Transformer a special occasion. As a collector's piece, you might want to wait for the rumored Siege Omega Supreme repaint as "Legacy Guardian" to come out in 2022 or 2023 - the difference is going to be $100 and a lot of G1 feels. All things considered, I give Energon Omega Sentinel a 8/10.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 6