Review of Clear Windowed Japanese Deluxe '74 Bumblebee.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Glitch, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Glitch

Glitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Too bad the guy comes off as an idiot. Here is a wacky idea...LOOK AT THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST! I mean...sure it is Japanese but they have DRAWINGS! Do your research!

3. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This will be the first TF I will import just because it looks so much better than the Hasbro version.

4. Glitch

Glitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I've got a friend in Japan now bringing a few of them back for me this week.

So glad I knew about these.

:) 

5. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a Funny review. Two Minutes of swearing. hehehe.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    nah, it looks like shit.
    transparent blue legs that are supposed to be YELLOW = failure

7. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

They misspelled "Bumblebee".

8. Glitch

Glitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll take that over painted windows any day. Plus, with the yellow plastic, you see too much of it behind the legs - calling attention to the square ugliness of it.

:( 

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Only because the original prototype deco (back when Hasbro was supposed to release this version too) had painted the shins yellow. The only reason the current Hasbro one has (sort of) yellow shins is because of opaque yellow parts make up half the shin.

So blame Hasbro for being so cheap that not only did they eventually get rid of the clear blue plastic altogether (thus saving them alot of money on yellow paint), they also cut the yellow paint that was originally there on the shins.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont think they cut the transparent blue because of costs. I think they cut it because his legs are supposed to be yellow, not blue. and if they painted the blue plastic that shows up in robot mode yellow, it'd scrape off during transformation.

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Takara version looks lame. Like I've said before, yellows aren't matching, clear blues are not matching and the legs look funny. Hasbro version looks wayyyyyyyyy better, even with painted windows.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    As I said earlier, paints not matching with bare plastic is hardly a new phenomenon in Transformers toys, so I don't see why its so notable in this case. A more notable case would be something like Binaltech Lambor and Tracks where the paint used on the plastic parts (rear of vehicle) is a different tone and finish to the paint used on the metal parts.

I don't think on-screen accuracy concerns Hasbro as much as it does pre-merger Takara. If the paint scraping off was a serious problem and they were still willing to go with clear windows, they would have just ditched the paint at that location.

No, the lack of clear parts is due to cost-cutting, because it allows them to use one colour of plastic for the majority of the toy (I'm not sure about the varying materials, as some different plastics are used in certain areas, I believe, based upon their stress tolerance), and save themselves alot of money by not having to paint half the car yellow.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

While I agree about the clear bits in bot mode, the clear windows certainly make the car mode look better. Seeing as how my US one is the broke POS version, I might get the Japanese one to leave in car mode and the US in robot mode. Sucks to not be able to..you know..transform a Transformer, but the main selling point of both ('74 and '09) BBs is the realistic alt mode and the US one no longer goes back into that mode. If I'm going to get another, it might as well be the one that has a better looking alt mode.

14. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Its hard to say for sure form this video, but the yellow seems consistent to me.

IMHO, the Hasbro one looks awfully shitty from behind, because the vast expanse of non-detailed window trim is just stupid. Same goes for the rear windows on his legs, but you see that constantly.

I like this mold a lot (once the face is touched up a little that is), and will be ordering the Takara version. I like that they stayed true with the original vision.

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    personally they both look terrible

but the hasbro version is the lesser of two evils i guess.. while i like the clear windows they make the bot mode legs look terrible. and would give more work for me [who wants to paint BB to look more like the box art. which hasbro screwed up on :p ]

16. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

The clear windows on this one are nice, and I prefer the blue missiles..... but the differences aren't dramatic enough to make importing the figure (and paying a premium for it) worth it to me, since I know that no matter which version I get it will be relegated to back-row status once the far-superior New Camaro mold gets released.

17. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The clear blue plastic windows and missiles look a whole lot better than the sparkle blue painted windows and yellow missiles on the Hasbro version. I would have liked if TakTom had painted the legs yellow but I find it a minor thing on a deluxe sized toy and it doesn't detract as much from the toy as having painted windows imo.

I've definitely got no regrets getting the TakTom version. Also, there's no breakage problem with the automorph on TakTom BB (on my piece at least).

The best version of '76 BB that I've seen so far is the custom one here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=136161

Now that's how '76 BB should look.

One more thing. Shouldn't this thread be in the feedback forums.

18. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics of the Taraka version?

19. ragnarok nine_

ragnarok nine_ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This guy is a moron.

20. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits: