Review Of Animated The Battle Begins Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by D Banks, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Mainly in his joints, the chest on my battle begins version is just as tight, if not tighter, but his joints are looser than the Cybertron version.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  3. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

I love the colours on this Prime, much better than the Cybertron Mode one since it's darker. The axe is sweet, it's HUGE! I also really like how he now has wheels on the back part of his alt mode since they look great as his 'ankles' in bot mode. :)  I wanted this Prime pretty badly and he didn't disappoint.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The colors on this match Masterforce God Ginrai....which is one of my favorite characters/toys! Plenty awesome right there.

5. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Not great, but some touch ups on the TFA BB Op

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That looks good TC, good job on that

7. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    The battle damage is painted on not molded in, I removed it and repainted those areas and more check out my thread in the radicons section.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Went ahead and picked up the rest of the Animated stuff I could find (so now have everything I have seen in stores: Lockdown, Starscream, Ratchet, Blackarachnia, and the two-pack).

Prime is pretty decent, got him..mostly for the axe, but the figure itself ain't bad. Don't care for the punching gimmick though.

9. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Is there any chance that we'll see non-battle damaged versions of these two figures?

10. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, it will happen as soon as I finally give in and decide to buy them lol :p  The animated battle damage isn't that bad looking, except megatrons is pink lol.

11. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I caved in today and bought him for the axe, and was pleasantly suprised at how good this figure is. I can safely say that both BB Prime and CM Prime beat out good old Bendy Prime (from the Armada days), and that's saying something.

12. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently got the Animated Battle Begins pack and wanted to leave my two cents' worth:

[​IMG]
    ANIMATED DELUXE OPTIMUS PRIME

For more pics, click on the link

Robot Mode: This Deluxe version of the Animated Autobot leader is very similar, both in look and in design, to the other Deluxe Prime, Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime. This is Prime in his Earth Mode, though, so he has the usual divided windshield as a chest and wheels on his legs instead of tank threads. Also, his arms are a lot boxier in this version, as they form the sides of the driver's cab for the alternate mode. The smokestacks are on his forearms here and can be twisted around to function as guns, if you fancy that. Finally, his head's been changed a bit, as he has the Prime-typical mouthguard here. Interestingly enough, while I'm not usually a fan of Primes with mouths, I do prefer Animated Prime without the mouthguard. Go figure.

What hasn't changed from one Deluxe Prime to the other is that both are highly posable robots, who can twist and bend in just about any humanly possible way. This version of Prime here goes one step further, though. There is a spring built into his waist, so if you pull it one way and release, he snaps back around in a kind of power-punch gimmick. Works great for swinging his axe, there's enough force behind it to knock over bigger Megatron figures.

Speaking of his axe, it is Prime's only weapon in this mode. It's a lot bigger and, because it doesn't have a joint in the middle, a lot sturdier than that of Cybertron Mode Prime. The downside is, of course, that it can't be as easily stored away in vehicle mode (see below), but it looks pretty cool in robot mode, no doubt. Of the multiple versions of Optimus Prime I've seen so far, Battle Begins Prime carries the most cartoon-faithful axe.

Finally, this version of Optimus Prime features 'battle damage', meaning black paint applications on his torso and head. I don't know, doesn't really look like battle damage to me, more like Prime added some black lightning bolts to his paint job. But whatever, it doesn't take anything away from this excellent figure. So bottom line, a superb robot mode.

Alternate Mode: Big surprise, Optimus transforms into a truck. Not just any truck, though, a fire truck. Though that is evident solely by the lights on top of his driver's cab, which replace the removable roof/shield that Cybertron Mode Prime sported. Apart from that, though, there is only very little difference in the two truck modes. This is an Earth truck, of course, so it has the divided windshield and tires instead of tank threads.

The one tiny flaw this version of Optimus Prime has is that he can't properly store his big axe in vehicle mode. You can put the axe on the back of the truck, somewhat similar to the Cybertron mode version, but because the blade is much bigger, you can't really hide it away. As a result the axe sticks out on the truck's rear and... well, that looks just terrible. Better to leave the axe out and imagine it goes into a subspace pocket or something. Apart from that, though, a solid, well-made vehicle mode.

Remarks: Naturally there are multiple versions of Optimus Prime in the Animated series (hopefully not quite as many as there were in the Movie line). This version of Prime here came in a two-pack dubbed "Battle Begins" along with Deluxe Megatron and a DVD containing the first episode of the Animated cartoon series. The choice of pairing Earth mode Prime with Cybertron mode Megatron aside, it's a very nice two-pack and worth getting for both figures. While I wouldn't say that Battle Begins Prime is better than Cybertron mode Prime, he is just as good and with just enough differences between the two to justify getting both (if you're so inclined). Besides, I plan on using Battle Begins Prime's axe once I get Voyager Prime, whose axe pretty much sucks (at least judging by the pictures I've seen). So bottom line, the two-pack is well worth getting for all fans of Prime and Megatron.

Rating: A

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I just got the pack. Prime is... difficult to express. Is he better than Cyb Mode Prime? Well, to quote Tim Nutt: "No FUCKIN' way!"

Axe is nice, DVD's a bonus if forgettable as long as Youtube exists. Vehicle mode is too long, Robot is too loose. Battle damage sucks and faceplate looks weird.