Review: Dissappointed with the Movie? Read the Book! *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Brooticus, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Ok, now let me get something straight before I begin in earnest. Ultimately, I liked the film. The action was great, the cinematography was beautiful, and I thought the twins were fun.

However...

Like many of you, I found the film lacking in a few departments, namely the plot, the pacing and the dialogue. Much of it just didn't sit right in my opinion.

So, yesterday I bought the book, hoping that this wordy tome would provide an antithesis to the unrelenting explosions and often jarring editing of the big screen version.

I wasn't dissappointed.

Alan Dean Foster is a master of movie novelisations, and has taken what is arguably a wafer thin plot and put flesh, fat and gristle to its dry, white bones. The story follows the same beats, but you get much more insight into the characters, what they're feeling, and the situations that they find themselves in. The key words here are breathing and space.

The characters are incredibly well realised, and often trump the movie in some cases. Most notable is Mikela - while she says pretty much the same things she does in the film, they are said (written) with a great deal more integrity and conviction. It just goes to show, that while Megan Fox is very pretty, she cant act her way out of a paper bag.

The book still shares a few of the problems associated with the film, but they are much less pronounced. For example, there is still the long lull in action post forest fight, and then it's all over very quickly. Also, there is still isn't a great deal of focus on the supporting Autobot cast, but they do have more lines than in the film. There are other changes to the story, some big, some small, but more on that later.

There is also much less of a focus on the twins, which may be a blessing/curse, depending on which side of the fence you sit upon.

Overall, I found the novel to be a satisfying read, and I would recommend it anyone who loved the film, or those who wanted to love the film, but just couldn't. I read the book in a single day, (something i've never done before), which may be an idiactor of its quality. If you hated the entire plot and premise of ROTF, then you probably won't find much to enjoy, but i would still encourage you to give it a go.

At least you can imagine the book being a G1 story!

Brooticus score: 8/10

To finish, I'm going to go into some detail about the differences between the book and film, as well as some thoughts on plot points and suchlike. If you want to discover these changes for yourself, stop reading now.

SPOILERS!

* The Arcee bikes DO combine in the book, and feature in a fight with Sideways that includes sideswipe, Epps and Lennox. I actually found myself feeling sorry for sideways!

*Wheelie is called "wheels", and instead of having a 30's New Yoik gangster accent, he seems to have a limited vocabulary.

*The Fallen doesn't appear to be actually ON the Nemesis, but instead communicates with Megatron with his face appearing on the inner hull of the ship. It seems he is in another dimension at this time. No reference to "hatchlings" in this scene.

*The fallen promises to make Megatron a Prime (hence "apprentice") if he succeeds.

* It is Megatron who takes down the Lincoln battleship, and Megatron alone! (not the fallen and his cohorts).

*It is Megatron who appears on TV screens around the globe, not the Fallen.

* After going through the portal, Jetfire, Sam etc are confronted with an unnamed decepticon seeker who takes the form of a WWI spyplane. This could be Ransack.

*Sam relays the Jordan coordinates through Epps wife to remain off the radar. This results in a pretty funny conversation between epps and his wife.

* The constructicons are never referenced to as such or named, they are just referred to as decepticons. This negates the whole "constructiclones" debacle. Devastator just forms from several construction vehicles, which may suggest he is just a single entity.

*No Jolt - he isn't in the book, so it is ratchet who quickly fits Jetfires parts to Optimus.

* Megatron abandons the Fallen when it all goes wrong. The fallen cries for help, but megatron is angry because he was promised the power of a prime. Prime says that "Primes are born, not made." Megatron and starscream escape through the wormhole that the fallen tried to escape through before he gets pwned by optimus.

*There is an epilogue where megatron returns to the nemsis. Here, he will regain his strength, and awaken the hundreds of slumbering protoforms waiting here. He says "arise", but it just left me wondering why he didn't use them in the first place. Perhaps they need energon to become strong (like in the film), but there was no mention of this.

Thoughts:

I really like how the book gives Megatron a reason for serving the fallen. In the film, he just came across to be an obedient lackey, where as here, serving the Fallen will ultimately serve himself in the end. True megatron.

I'm sure ill post more thoughts as they come to me!

*END SPOILERS*

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sounds cool I guess a few of these will make it as DVD extended cut extras or at least I hope they add the part about Megatron being promised power.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it except for the end, Megatron is so cute when he's looking in horror as his master dies.

Plus villain begging another villain for help as he gets betrayed thing has been done to death, and makes The Fallen look EVEN MORE WEAKER.

4. Starkenator

Starkenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read the book first and thought that if the movie was like this it is going to be awesome and while I thought the movie was great the book was definitely better. It explained things better and made more sense for sure.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Sounds like the book fixes a couple of issues I had with the Megatron/Fallen relation, although only a little bit. :)  Not sure if it's worth reading the book though, it's not going to change my disappointment.

Besides..reading? I don't do much reading. ;) 

6. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'm trying to read the novelization. I'm doing it more for the TF stuff because Foster's writing style is ridiculously complicated, dry, technical, and overall crappy in my mind.

I think he writes a sentence in MSWord, checks EVERY SINGLE word using the Thesaurus feature, and picks the biggest, most complex synonyms.

7. CyberPrime

CyberPrime Member

Ebay:
    The book is look pretty , but on Quebec he have no this book -_-.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ghosts of Yesterday completely put me off any ADF-penned TF fiction. :( 

9. Hauken

Hauken Member

I'll have to pick this book up then.

I agree. It didn't really bug me that much, but sitting in the theater, I did have to ask myself "Why is Megatron serving someone..?"

He had a hard enough time serving Unicron, I recall their dialog going something like this:

Megatron - "No one commands Megatron!"
    Unicron - "Then it pleases me to be the first."

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Interesting stuff. I wouldn't read it myself, because it's a novel about something I want to see and not imagine. I read a lot too.

But your bullet points left me satisfied with some interesting directions the book took.

:lolol 

:wtf: 

I didn't question it because Movieverse Megatron doesn't absorb G1 Megatron's history or persona. Or Animateds... or A/E/C's... or RID...

I'd even go as far as saying that G1 Megatron is more arrogant, yet more intelligent that movieverse Megatron. Movieverse Megatron is obsessive, rage-filled, but just as power hungry. I could see him setting aside an ounce of pride for the sake of MOAR POWER!

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so how does the fallen take a physical form in the book?

12. Brooticus

News Credits:
    He just shows up. No whizz. No Bang.

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I agree, it's a very execrable modus operandi

14. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

Man, I hope we get some deleted scenes on the DVD with this stuff in it. I'm still really curious if there was any animation of Arcee's combined form done before Bay decided to scrap it. I would really have loved to see it in the film.

15. porkimus

porkimus Well-Known Member

ok i think ill pick it up if i can find it.

16. Brooticus

News Credits:
    Its possible it may happen for this scene. I seem to remember there was a little video feature about the first day of shooting rotf. They were filming a scene where the audi R8 does a 180 skid stop in a warehouse, and the three Arcee bikes drive past it. This wasnt in the film, but it is described in the book and this is where the bikes combine and duke it out with sideways.

17. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol 

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as ADF goes, he is okay.
    if Stephanie Myers had written it, I woulda needed a shower and Brillo pads.

thanks for the heads up and critique!

20. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

I actually remember that too, now that you mention it. Or maybe I just WANT to. :)  Either way, thanks for the encouragement. :)