Review: Cybertron Ransack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Xcandescent, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Picked up this guy and his giant green partner yesterday. In short: he's by far the weakest of the Wave 1 Scouts, and not that great when compared to past TF motorcycles (even dark purple Sideways, who I thought was a nice toy with a cool rider and a hideous paint job).

I like the concept of TF motorcycles. I have all the recent ones (including the RiD Sideways/Axer two-pack), and I think they all rock. I even bought that Unicron.com stand for BM Cycle Drone (coughTHRUST) so I could stand him show accurate, on one wheel.

That said, the two motorcycles I've seen so far for GF/Cybertron are a huge step back. Roadstorm's got a sweet Alt mode, but that bot mode makes my eyes BURN. Ransack doesn't get much love in either mode; as a bot, he looks like "evil Wheelie" (as someone else on these boards put it), and as a cycle, he looks like ... his bot mode, stretched out, with wheels. Hell, you can clearly see his fists in cycle mode -- and his feet too, as the rear seat is taken off in-package.

So far, this is the only Cybertron toy to actually have a viable storage space for its Cyber Key. When inserted into the seat, the Cyber Key does NOT trigger anything unless you push it in all the way -- i.e., there's a neutral setting, where you can leave the key in securely, and only trigger it when you want. Why the rest of the toys don't have this, I don't know. As a plus, in Alt. mode it covers up the fists, so you'll probably want to leave it in. Pushing the key triggers dual gun barrels, which kinda look like tailpipes in Alt. mode, but not really. Save them for the bot mode.

Transformation to bot mode is a no-brainer: unlock seat from foot hooks and remove, swing legs down, unpeg rear wheel and rotate heels out, split arms and drop chest/face canopy. If bored, rotate front wheel (doesn't matter either way).

When referring to bot mode as "evil Wheelie", it is important to note that we're talking about the toy. After all, as annoying as cartoon Wheelie was, he looked a heckuva lot better than this. Wide shoulders, skinny feet, curved chest thing ... the traits of toy Wheelie are there, minus the 5 extra whacks with an ugly stick. The head looks decent (and rotates), and so does the waist. The legs are pretty stiff, and the giant feet make bending the knees pointless.

The real saving grace of bot mode is the weapon. The seat gun is HUGE compared to the rest of the figure, making him look a lot more badass than he is. As a plus, the arms are actually stiff enough to hold it well. There's no place to store the weapon in bot mode ... but hey, it's a SCOUT, so no big surprise there.

Overall: not great, but not flat-out horrible. Good for throwing against a wall repeatedly, as kids will do. C-

2. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll add some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great review mate!

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I don't mind Ransack, although it's the only Cybertron basic I've bought so far. I think the motorcycle mode is pretty cool, but the robot mode does have it's drawbacks and articulation. I love the way the Planet Key will stay sturdy in the socket without being pushed in all the way to activate the spring out gun barrels, so that added points for me since I can store the key with the toy without activating the gimmick. I really compare Ransack to RiD Sideways (Or G2 Road Rocket) they are very similar in their drawbacks in robot mode.

I'd give Ransack a B-

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eeh...I honestly can't rank the guy below Overhaul and Scattorshot. I think watching Galaxy Force has made me a bit biased, but the Speedia arc -is- what caused me to go out and grab the GF versions of the Dynamic Duo a couple months back.

Hm...I think that it's having both Ransack -and- Crumplezone that makes me like him more. Putting him into crazy action poses while riding the big green bullet-of-the-land makes him way cooler to me than Scattorshot and Overhaul. That and I love his transformation scheme.

5. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

No way man. No way!

Ransack SHITS all over the other 2 first wave basics.
    Scattorshot isnt bad but lacks articulation, while Overhaul (aka Jackshit) is pure poo.

6. Soundwarp

News Credits:
    Ebay:

:lol  Tell us what you really think :lol 

:thumb 

7. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Purposefully mistransform him, by not folding the wheels on the back off of the leg.

Basically leaving him in a Tricycle mode. He looks sort of cool like that. Makes his ass hang out a bit like a scorpion tail. As for the way his wheels are ridges when not connected, they are just tire slashers.

8. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked him up today and I really enjoy him :mad 

9. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Ransack is the best of the Wave 1 Scouts. He's fun to fiddle with, easy to transform, has a cool character, and goes hand in hand with Crumplezone. I usually have Ransack on top of CZ's shoulders like a little kid would ride on their dad's shoulders.

Beyond that, there's several neat fan modes that he can do. The tricycle is just one. I came up with a "hover" bike mode, where you twist his front wheel like you would into robot mode. Then, instead of having the rear wheels together, keep them at 90 degree angles to the rest of the body. Use the planet key to deploy the "thrusters" in this case. Voila, instant jet-bike thing. Also, you can do the same thing with the rear wheels in robot mode so he has a limited flying ability. Think Jango/Boba Fett's backpack.

Overhaul's a mess with no articulation(well, no usable articulation, anyway), and Scattorshot's just kinda a mess. Give me Ransack(and hopefully a G1 inspired Wheelie repaint down the road) any day.

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I too think that while small he kicks ass. I came up with a new mode for him.

Weapons Platform Mode:
    1. Take his weapon Platform off.
    2. rotate legs forward.
    3. Fold rear legs back, or forward in this case.
    4. Seperate wheel.
    5. Place on shins.
    6. Lift arms
    7. Reattach weapon.

Here are some pics of his other modes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click on the thumbnails for larger pics.

11. Xcandescent

Man ... if Ransack is the best of the Wave 1 Scouts, then I'm glad I didn't put money down on the others.

(Removes feet from mouth ... again.)

I'll admit the fan modes are cool, and he is fun to fiddle with. I'm just underwhelmed by his transformation and his alt mode (featuring supah visible fists!).

Also, I sincerely hope he never gets a Wheelie repaint. If Ransack pulls out a slingshot and starts rhyming in the cartoon ...

-XCN-

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Everyone's tastes are different I guess... I personally haven't been disappointed with any of the Galaxy Force figures I've bought (28 and counting...) Gasket is awesome... But that's my opinion...

Here's a question out of curiousity though for you XCN... And I mean no ill whatsoever... From all the reviews I've read from you, you seem really disappointed with Galaxy Force/Cybertron so why do you continue to get them???:huh

13. Soundwarp

News Credits:
    Ebay:

That's pretty cool!

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I like him a lot. I like keeping the wheels flipped out in robot mode so he looks like he's skating (like TM Megatron). And wasn't there a crapload of fan modes for him shown on that JP TF image board?

15. Xcandescent

At the moment, the only figure I have severe disgust with is Jetfire. Ransack is mediocre, but fun to tinker with, GF Starscream is meh, Hot Shot's good, Landmine, Crumplezone, GF Vector Prime, and GF Prime are awesome.

So no, I'm not disappointed with the line, so much as specific figures. As I said in the Jetfire thread: one bad figure does not a line break. The same held true for Energon, where the Deluxes and a few Megas ruled the roost. IMHO, Energon is the best main TF line so far, so take that as you will.

I'm sure there are plenty of worthy figures still to come.

-XCN-

16. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, i found Ransack the best of the first three, and he's better than Hardtop of Wave 2.

i own all 6 Scouts, and i'd rank them in this order

1. Ransack
    2. Clocker
    3. Hardtop
    4. Scattorshot
    5. Minicon Recon Team
    6. Overhaul

i really don't care for Overhaul, his arms really bug me, Scattorshot is good, but it's his lack of leg articulation bugs me. Ransack, Clocker and Hardtop are all great little TFs, and superior to the Energon Basics (espically the Autobot ones) Minicons are pretty bland, but not too bad.

17. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I kinda like the lil' bugger, being the first scout I've bought for Cybertron.He's a fun little guy, look forward to getting Crumblezone so the duo will be together.

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd make my list like this:

1. Gasket
    2. Skids
    3. Dinoshout
    4. Hardtop
    5. Saidos
    6. Autolander
    7. Jackshot
    8. Backpack
    9. Micron Team
    10. Auto Micron Team

Saidos, Autolander, Jackshot, and Backpack all have their flaws, but they're basics, so they don't bother me that much... Jackshot's got his arms, Backpack's got his legs, Autolander's got his elbows and hips, and Saidos is just weird... :thumb 

I ranked the Microns last because, well, they're Microns... :thumb 

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't pick up scattorshot cause he's so freakin' tiny for a basic, he's almost a minicon *L*

Andy

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    He's actually one of the taller basics in robot form... :thumb